17 coaches online • Server time: 06:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nelphine

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Im carefully not saying anything about balance. I certainly have opinions on that, but they arent relevant to this, except for one conclusion i'll put below.

I am making assumptions and conclusions, but im doing so based on what is written in the book - and in particular, about what tv the game is 'meant' to be played (1300 to 1500-1800). But the entire point of this is to try to identify the 'intent' of the rulebook, when they dont clearly state that.

I am further assuming that if the game is 'meant' to be played in that tv range, that also implies that the game is 'not meant' to be played from 1000 to 1300. But clearly teams start in that range, so must play in that range, so it cant be 'not meant' to play at all in that range. Therefore, to me it seems clear that it means 'not meant' to play competitively in that range.

I happen to think that implies that balance is not considered a priority from 1000-1300, and so if we see that balance in that range is not great *cough underworld powerhouse cough* that isnt a result of a roster having balance issues, but rather a result of playing at a tv the game wasnt designed to be serious at. But this conclusion isn't strongly enough linked to the rulebook, which is why i didnt talk about balance previously (even if i think its a reasonable conclusion).
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Some teams at TV 1000-1300 are not even worth to be played, that suggests to me that game is not supposed to be played at low TV, but it's just my own assumption.
High TV is too broken due to many skills stacking and stat freaks, the TV in-between low and high TV seems to me the decent compromise (not perfect, but allowing the broadest range of races without making the games too unbalanced).
Moreover, why having 6 skill slots if we are supposed to play at 1000-1300? Let's remove players' progression and pages of skills and skill up table from the rulebook, then.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Many (most?) leagues/tournaments start at low TV. Many won't go above low TV. So yes, it is meant to be played there.

Some teams won't be competitive there but how many competitive rosters do you need to be able to say that the game is competitive.

My opinion is don't be tied to the rule book.
"The commissioner's word is law". I see the "Rules" as more like "guidelines". Mr. Green

If you wanna cut out the low TV grind and go straight to high TV, you can. Twisted Evil

Or you could just go stunty Wink

All the races will never be balanced over all the TV brackets, league/tournament formats and different TV gaps.

The BBRC at least aimed at the old 45%-55%. GW don't even seem to be bothered about that.

Tailor your league to the way you like it and have fun. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

If the game is meant to be played at low TV then let's remove 5 skill slots from the players.
That would be a clear message of intended low TV.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
If the game is meant to be played at low TV then let's remove 5 skill slots from the players.
That would be a clear message of intended low TV.

The game is meant to be played where you want to play it.

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Not really. I'd like to play it at mid TV (1400-1550) but I don't find games in the Box.
Today I've been activating since 12:00 server time and found only 2 games, one at 1390, one at 1960.
Due to Trophy and rookie protection it's hard to find games at mid TV.
So, it's not where I want to play the game, but the Box environment which decides where I have to play it. I don't have control on the Box environment.
If I could play in my own league with my house rules I would not need to play in the Box.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Not really. I'd like to play it at mid TV (1400-1550) but I don't find games in the Box.
Today I've been activating since 12:00 server time and found only 2 games, one at 1390, one at 1960.
Due to Trophy and rookie protection it's hard to find games at mid TV.
So, it's not where I want to play the game, but the Box environment which decides where I have to play it. I don't have control on the Box environment.
If I could play in my own league with my house rules I would not need to play in the Box.

The Commissioner's word is law. Speak to the Commissioner.

You could ask him to cancel the BBT.

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

And he would ignore it, no need to ask. It's a free site, be happy with it and don't ask anything. If you don't like it, play elsewhere.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to be able to just turn up at any time of the day or night and get a game fairly quickly without arranging in advance then your options will be limited.

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I would be fine with a hard TV cap set at 1550 just for the Box. That way I would not have to play high TV games, at least. Instead, without hard TV cap, I have to cover a wide range of TV with my teams, otherwise I could find a 1900 team with a 1400 team of mine.
Nothing super complicated, just a hard TV cap because after more than 3 years there is no Re-Draft yet. The workaround for no Re-Draft is the Trophy (or just playing teams for 15 games).
I don't have fun playing teams for 15 games over and over again.
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I quite agree with Koadah , and speaking about commissioners, another request I would kindly ask them is a sort of "soft" redraft:

All Competitive teams who played more than 200 games in the season, and have at least 1 legend player in their roster, will be temporary suspended from the Box; These teams can only attend tournaments and/or offer games with game finder.
They can be re-activated in the Box only after redraft would have been implemented

I find this a very constructive proposal to improve the balance of the box, also to encourage the use of new teams.

If someone share my proposal I can launch a poll.

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Re-Draft is like Godot in "Waiting for Godot". Everybody talks about it, but it never comes.
Chances are we will have the new ruleset implemented before Re-Draft. Let's hope there is no Re-Draft in the new ruleset, that will fix the lack of Re-Draft.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

RDaneel wrote:
I quite agree with Koadah , and speaking about commissioners, another request I would kindly ask them is a sort of "soft" redraft:

All Competitive teams who played more than 200 games in the season, and have at least 1 legend player in their roster, will be temporary suspended from the Box; These teams can only attend tournaments and/or offer games with game finder.
They can be re-activated in the Box only after redraft would have been implemented

I find this a very constructive proposal to improve the balance of the box, also to encourage the use of new teams.

If someone share my proposal I can launch a poll.

What if i suggest 'you cant spin in the box unless you have at least one legend on your team'?

In other words, why are we trying to encourage new teams?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, whenever I look at the Box draws, new teams (or low TV ones) are the most common ones.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 16, 2024 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Re-Draft is like Godot in "Waiting for Godot". Everybody talks about it, but it never comes.
Chances are we will have the new ruleset implemented before Re-Draft. Let's hope there is no Re-Draft in the new ruleset, that will fix the lack of Re-Draft.

Mr. Green

Jump to: