53 coaches online • Server time: 12:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Colin

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2004 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The User Guide has been around for a while now, slowly building up to a moderately useful resource for FUMBBL coaches. However, it needs plenty more work to bring it up to standard, which is why I requested the creation of this forum.

Top of the list of things to do is to complete the content of all sections, properly link every page to a related one, remove duplicated information and integrate it properly with the Help/FAQ section.

Hopefully, this forum will help recruit new interested helpers (hmm, we need a nickname for User Guide scribes - I can't think of any monkeys that can write), identify areas needing work, and coordinate efforts effectively.

If you have any ideas, please post them in this forum.

I'll open a new IRC channel too: join me at #fumbbluserguide

Last edited by Colin on Mar 10, 2004 - 16:57; edited 1 time in total
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2004 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin wrote:
(hmm, we need a nickname for User Guide scribes - I can't think of any monkeys that can write)

Wiki Lemurs. It's gotta be Wiki Lemurs. Lemurs can do anything, right?

Or we could just take the "Anyone can use it approach" and just refer to ourselves as a trained chimps. "It's so easy that a..."

Seriously, though, I think the main thing to be done in regards to overall format is to make the whole structure a little easier to access. I'd love to see the front page as a list and then have all the possible information 2 clicks away from that at most - with all the information needed to get started or get help just one click away from the front page.

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2004 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Definite agreement here. Most importantly, a preface on the forum page itself with a brief overview on how to set up a game as a net client. That will help people like ME get playing as soon as possible. I personally, love this game so much, I just wanted to play when I found this site. Lord Sigmund had to walk me through it (thanks, I hope I wasn't too boneheaded). So, an opening splash page with brief general instructions, and links to the other info.

Mac
(By the way, if you need trained monkeys, I am a writer too)

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2006 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a quick notice.

Due to a problem with BackLinks, I've started adding links to parent pages at the bottom of any page I come across. There's too many for me to do, so if you do edit a page, please add something like this to the bottom of the page:

Code:
Back to [Description of Parent Page|ParentLink]

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2006 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be nice if there was a great BIG link to the user guide with a "quick start" guide in the middle of your Coach page if you DONĀ“T have any teams.

So the big link dissappears when you create teams. But is easy to find for new players.
Maybe a picture showing where the link (in the original layout of the site) is after you have created a team in the beginning of the "quick start guide" would also be good.
Colin

Post   Posted: May 07, 2007 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I've added a blurb to quickly inform newcomers to the User Guide what it is all about. It only took me a few years to add such an obvious piece of info...

Just click on the Help icon or link (depends on your FUMBBL theme).

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2010 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Im having some trouble getting this working. I downloaded 8.8b and the 8.9 patch but when I attempt to open up the testing BB and it says flash image is corrupt or something. Am I missing something or am I just dumb?
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2010 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

It is still possible to download a zip of a straight 8.9 install if you can find it. I won't post a link here because I'm not sure Christer would be happy with that but it is out there.