41 coaches online • Server time: 14:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2012 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Fantasy Football. What images do these magical words evoke in your mind? Blood - a 300 pound Chaos Warrior blitzing a tough-as-nails Dwarven Longbear into the ground. Balling - an elegant Wardancer leaping serenely over the heads of confused zombies.

But most importantly: Halflings.

Halflings are EVERYWHERE in Fantasy Football.
For the new coach, they are a weak team that offers glorious opportunity for your new players to earn points. But these halflings are those that are serious about the game. They delve deep into the forest and find treemen to provide their professional team with much needed strength - and then get distracted by the Ent Mead that the treemen bring with them, ensuring that the professional halfling teams are never quite the menace they could be.
For the slightly more experienced coach, halflings evoke images of chaotic carvers, howling along behind roaring minotaurs. But these halflings are the crazed ones, who lurk in the forest, and joined Stunty Leeg only because they knew they would never be accepted in the more professional circuits.

But neither of these truly represent halfling greatness in the sport we all love. The true halflings are the ones that are at EVERY match. Their chef, halflings of immense size, own snack tents that are reknowned throughout the old world. Players, fans, unruly mobs, officials, and sneaky criminals all stop to pay tribute at these tents, sampling the most wonderful foods available. Scores of other halflings run this way and that around the tent, making sure everyone has their fill of food. The best halfling runners are those that can catch whatever the chef throws, from wherever he throws it, and get it to the right customer within seconds. And the chef ALWAYS throws the food; he's far too fat to walk tables himself. But his huge mass serves another purpose - whenever a disgruntled orc, angry about the match result, thinks he can push the small halflings around, the chef comes out and reminds him that while small, the food is not without price.

These snack tents are known throughout the circuit; many stadiums even have permanent tents dedicated to particular chefs. Most of these permanent locations are at human or elf stadiums (very few halflings can afford their own stadiums). And while the humans enjoy the snacks, it is the elves that truly love the halfling carnies that run the tents. Superstar elven throwers often launch spiked balls towards the tents, and the halflings always scramble to see who can catch the beloved prize. Retired elves practically live with the halflings, encouraging them, telling stories about glory days, and laughing at the little one's mishaps. Mini scrimmages between elves and scores of halflings erupt continually, as the halflings roar their affection for the elven tossers. Halflings reproduce mock games, the chef throwing pastry, the runners catching it, and the other halflings running interference, until the 'touchdown' is scored, with the runner leaving the pastry in the correct customers slackjawed grasp.

These halflings are the ones that truly represent the sport. These are the ones we all know and love.

And they don't play the game to be serious - they play the game to show how much they love it, to show they can throw back just what all the fans give them.

So when the Stunty Leeg called for a team of halflings, the carnies responded. The best chefs with their best runners signed up, and now they await the day they can compete on the pitch, to show their love of the game to all.

Current Roster:
0-3 90000, Elves, 5/3/4/6, Bone Head, Animosity, GA/SP
0-1 80000, Chef, 4/3/2/6, Wrestle, Grab, Pass, Strong Arm, P/GAS
0-2 80000, Runners, 6/2/3/6, Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Sprint, Dump-Off, GA/SP
0-2 70000, Thieves, 5/2/3/5, Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Titchy, Fend, A/GSP
0-16 40000, Halflings, 5/2/3/6, Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff

Re-rolls: 60000

Original 'Not Current' Roster:
0-3 90000, Elves, see below, Decrepit, Injured, 'PPSD', Animosity, GA/SP
0-2 80000, Runners, 6/2/3/6, Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Sprint, Dump-Off, GA/SP
0-16 40000, Halflings, 5/2/3/6, Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff

Elves: When purchased, roll a d6; on a 1 or 2, the elf is a pro elf lineman (6/3/4/7), on a 3 or 4, the elf is a high elf lineman (6/3/4/8 ), on a 5 or 6, the elf is a wood elf lineman (7/3/4/7)
Decrepit: All elves hired by a carnie team are old and retired - they start with a -1 MA injury (smashed hip).
Injured: All elves hired by a carnie team have a second injury determined by rolling a d6: 1: smashed ankle for -1 MA (stacks, total of -2 with Decrepit), 2: smashed collar bone -1 Str, 3: broken neck for -1 Agi, 4: fractured skull for -1 AV, 5: damaged back for niggling injury, 6: serious concussion for loner
'PPSD': Post Piling Stress Disorder: All elves hired by a carnie team have seen too much wreckage in their previous careers. Whenever an elf attempts any action they must roll a d6. If they are attempting a move, pass or hand off action, they do the action as normal on a 2+. If they roll a 1, they are paralyzed as they remember old terrifying games, and do nothing, as if no action had been selected. If they are attempting any other action (including but not limited to: block, blitz, stand up) they only perform the action on a 4+. If they roll 1-3, they are paralyzed and do nothing as if no action had been selected.

Possible star player for the team:
0-1, 180000, Treemaiden: 2/5/1/10, Mighty Blow, Take Root, Throw Teammate, Thick Skull, Stand Firm

Uniqueness: This is a passing team, meant to slowly move the team up the field, but actually use passing and hand off actions instead of trying to remove opposing players from the pitch. Additionally, there are many negatraits that effectively turn big guys into blocking machines (or even just 'stand there and make the enemy stand with you' machines); this team has a completely different take on negatraits, turning the team big guys (the elves) into ball-handlers only, and semi-unreliable ones at that. Note that animosity is meant to prevent pro elves from passing to high elves or wood elves and vice versa, as well as from passing to halflings.

Balance: First, there are 5 players with G access, 3 of which potentially have strength 3. This seems excessive, but that is why PPSD specifically prevents the 3 strength 3 guys from reliably bashing the opposition. It is also why I haven't given the team a true big guy, instead relying on these 5 G access guys to pretend to be the team big guys (however, due to the negatraits on the elf, this may be a bit much, which is why I put the slightly weak treeman in, but I don't think the team needs her.)
Second: Agi 4, and a passing non stunty player! Holy smokes batman! This is why I specifically limited the speed of the team; even the elves have at most speed 6 (wood elf with Decrepit), but they might be speed 4 (high/pro elf with Decrepit and an MA injury). Combined with animosity and PPSD, the agi 4 players simply aren't going to be reliable at getting fast touchdowns, and most likely the runners (proper agi 3 stunty players) are going to end up doing most of the actual scoring and blitzing. Also note, animosity will further reduce how reliable those elves are, since elves of different races always believe they are the best, and no matter how much they love the halflings, and no matter how old and injured they are, all elves still know they are far better than halflings at all things on the pitch!
Third: MA 6 sprint dump off halflings?? Why not? Halflings need interesting positionals too, and this one seems to come straight out of the fluff. G access on them??? well, they are only S2, there are only 2 of them, and they really are the only reliable useful positionals on the team, so I don't think G access (and an entire team without S access), is actually going to be that bad. They may be underpriced though (possibly need to be as high as 100k?)
Fourth: The Chef! Come on, he's cool! Grab might be unnecessary, I was just imagining him nabbing food away from prying hands constantly. And he'll probably become a dedicated thrower (even with agi 2), given his speed and skill access, which is something that isn't in Stunty Leeg right now - New and Unique.

Fifth: Treemaiden. Meant to be a smaller treeman, who, just like the team, isn't quite as serious about it as their professional brethren - so lower strength, and no strong arm. Preferably a star player though, instead of a positional, given the dearth of G access players.

I expect this idea to get shot down, but I hope people at least enjoyed reading some of the fluff and the idea for new negatraits - and maybe, just maybe, this might at least be the start of a proper halfling team in Stunty Leeg!

Finally: Carnies is kind of a not-awesome name, so, feel free to try to help me out with the team name too!

Last edited by Nelphine on Mar 13, 2012 - 03:35; edited 3 times in total
onthejazz

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2012 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea. The injured players has a unique feel to it. It is a unique take on what the Big Guys role is also which is cool, I think. One thing springs to my mind as abusable, though. Since the type of elf you have bought and his injuries are determined as you buy him, I think it is possible to speculate in it.

I mean, a Pro Elf is worse than a Wood Elf and a High Elf, and some injuries are worse than others. If players can just retire the worse outcomes, then it encourages min/maxing on those elves quite a lot, I'd think.

I like the idea of such players a lot, but would it be possible to use an idential baseline for all elves, but have their injuries be rolled randomly for each game? I would think that otherwise, most Pro Elf, -STR and -AG elves would be retired fairly quickly.

The negatraits of the elves appears to me to limit them in a very nice manner in regards to their G access being useful, so I would not think of it as overpowered to have the elf positional allow for at least one more elf.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2012 - 01:48 Reply with quote Back to top

90k for a double injured lineelf...

who would take one?

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2012 - 02:48 Reply with quote Back to top

this is stunty; line elves are gods here.

As to abuse, you are right that the potential is there; but stunty is one of those places where stockpiling money isn't THAT easy - far too many killer big guys out there. So I figure you can assume, what, one dead elf every 12 games or so? (Including injuries that occur in game that are bad enough that you want to retire) Probably more due to the negatraits, but we'll start with that. Then we assume that 1 out of 3 you retire because he's pro elf, then we assume 2 out of 6 you retire due to bad injuries; so now, you're buying a new elf approximately every 6 games. This means that if you average, say, 40k winnings per game, then if you lose more than 3 halflings every 6 games, you can't afford to hire elves that fast (and if you lose other positionals too, it gets worse). Looking at other Stunty Leeg teams, losing 1 halfling every 2 games is reasonable; and this team has no bash, so it will probably actually lose more than usual for Stunty Leeg.

So, yes, you could abuse the random elves; but if you get even somewhat unlucky (hire 3 pro elves in a row), you simply won't have the money to replace them, and probably won't have the money to replace halflings either.

As a further note, the pricing is based on the best elf (wood elf with -AV) for Stunty Leeg; getting one of the other 2 is just a further disadvantage (especially pro), to balance out the existence of agi 4.

Edit: Just realized you also suggested changing the elves to 0-4.

I don't mind that idea (and I like it far better than the treemen). I would also consider another halfling 0-2 positional instead, although I'm not sure what it would be, because I do think only 6 positional characters is a touch low. However, I'm also not that concerned about it, and I'd like to hear more thoughts.
Wallace

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2012 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I would suggest re-modelling the team in such as way as to use LRB6 skills (including negtraits) with no special FUMBBL or FFB client side code changes to support the team. That means you can't realistically use Decrepit, Injured and 'PPSD'. You'll have to figure out how to represent those things using existing skills (bonehead for PPSD for instance).

There is a snowballs chance in hell of specific new skills being implemented to support new stunty leeg teams.

Edit: A good example is the Fairy stunty leeg team of old. The sprites (or whatever they were called) had the skill 'Very long legs', but it was obvious that this was intended to represent the fact that the player was flying. It was a creative way to get the effects of some new fluff appropriate player characteristic within the existing constraints of the client/rules.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2012 - 03:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea, and I even like having Elves on the team. While interesting, I think the amount of extra rules needed to make as specified is too much. My suggestion would be 0-3 Elves with the worst stats of all Elves combined. So 6/2/4/7, and a Niggle on top of that. They wouldn't be overpowered as they don't have stunty to run through multiple TZs.

I would consider removing Strong Arm on the Thrower as well. He can take Accurate with a skill and then need doubles for SA. He is good at tossing pies (hence the RR), but a spiked ball that is too big for him, while being chased around, is tougher. That way you can't rely on him to get it down to the Elves too easily. This would also make adding a tree less OP.

Like the idea of faster, younger flings as well.

And love the fluff.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2012 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Hum, I hadn't considered bonehead; that would almost do what I want, so I don't mind doing that. As a side note, I have a feeling PPSD could quickly be coded: copy paste wild animal, change the name of which actions are 4+ (or 2+ depending on how it was coded), chance the name to PPSD. Done. But you are right, extra coding probably isn't a good thing.
However, as for elf baseline, I would probably go with 5/3/4/6 or 5/3/4/7 loner; I don't want more than speed 5 on agi 4, as speed + agi 4 = fast touchdowns + G access = unstoppable.
Finally: I gave Strong Arm to the thrower because it meshes well fluffwise with his S3. Also, since he is only A2, Strong Arm means he starts out just as good at throwing as a human thrower - who are not all that good at long passes anyway, but I wanted him able to do short passes well or else he would probably never be used as a thrower, and would end up as LOS fodder or some such. The other option would be to lose Strong Arm, but up his Agi to 3.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2012 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Missed the AG2, SA makes sense.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2012 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

no rosters that require customized skill creation....there's too much work to be done to implement the current skillbase, i have no desire to add to the list...

--j

ImageImage
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2012 - 03:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Updated to reflect not using new skills; also added in halfling thieves, who would be part of the tents crew, and would probably help put on shows - where the runners take the food and give it to the right people, the thieves would be always making it look like they were 'against' the chef and runners by stealing the food, and then, miraculously, it would end up at the right spot anyway without anyone seeing how it got there. The thieves would also be extremely good at cleaning up tables and messes without being noticed:

Current Roster:
0-3 90000, Elves, 5/3/4/6, Bone Head, Animosity, GA/SP
0-2 70000, Thieves, 5/2/3/5, Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Titchy, Fend, A/GSP
0-16 40000, Halflings, 5/2/3/6, Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, A/GSP

Re-Rolls: 60000

Do the thieves feel like a useful addition to the team? Are they worth having? I think they give a little variation, and they bring the number of positionals up to 8, without adding an extra star player (which the elves, on a good day, will be). However, they do bring the number of positionals to 8, which means you only 'have' to field 3 linemen at a time - for the Stunty Leeg, is this reasonable?

A further issue:

Sure this team has awesome ballhandling skills: But Stunty is a Leeg full of blood. Can this team (with such bad AV, and no bashers) survive long enough to get a few touchdowns, and thus remain competitive? I'm thinking things like Saws specifically, and to a lesser extent, bombs, stabs, or prolific mighty blow players.
TheSyron

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2015 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Necro'ing this a bit as there might be another addition made to stunty.
I think this team has a lot of potential!

I don't think Thieves are a great addition though, especially not since that ups the positional count to 8. I also don't see why I would hire them. Fend and Titchy are nice to have, but not so nice that I'd pay 20k extra and suffer the extra tv for it.

They don't look either OP or UP. My guess is that, given that some elves and runners survive, they'll be competitive at high levels due to having 5 blacklers and a good scoring threat, while still being fragile enough so that the other team still has an similar chance at winning.
 Jump to: