43 coaches online • Server time: 15:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cowhead

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2012 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm thinking Frogzilla could play for anyone, he hears the roar of the crowd and the smell of the blood then just appears at random matches

Last edited by cowhead on Mar 04, 2012 - 10:09; edited 1 time in total
Shades_SteelFist

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2012 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Darwin for Pygmi and colledge of magic if it gets in?

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2012 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigmar1 wrote:
Actually, yes. Most of the other teams are a quite coherent grouping of ideas/ players around a core central concept. 'Mutant Frogs' with an eclectic smattering of abilities and skills doesn't have quite the same cohesiveness. IMHO.

Actually the core central idea was the 'Zap!' spell but you can't really have a team made up of frogs with no hands so I evolved the idea from there. I didn't just think 'Mutant Frogs' that would be cool. This is the link to my original (not thought through) concept where I tried to incorporate Frogs with Slann just because they were quite similar. http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=21447&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I think my fluff gives a reasonably probable idea within the boundaries of the Blood Bowl universe
I thought about having wizards on the field, the spitting frog was originally a wizard that could teleport frogs down the field (TTM) and I also had one that could shoot balls of fire (Bombadier)but in my opinion a wizard would never take to the blood bowl field, so this is the only way a team based around 'Zap!' could really work in my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion however and hope your idea of the Artificers goes well. As I was thinking about making a similar team but with clockwork soldiers and spiders and other wonderful things that would need winding up on the pitch to keep them moving. But my team was created by Dwarves and I couldn't work out the kinks like how would the Clockwork machines be able to pick up the ball. In the end they just ended up like the Gnome team but with No Handed machines making up the most of the team so I put the idea to bed. I didn't think about having mechanics or their assistants on the field.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2012 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigmar1 wrote:
I've been lurking and commenting on a number of stunty team ideas, and I just can't wrap my head around this team. They just seem like an odd collection of skills pasted onto some player ideas.

Sorry. If it were up to a vote I'd have to say 'no thank you'.
Confused

1. You must have fluff- Check
2. Roster fits into the BB universe- Check (Zapped spell)
3. Roster complete A-Z- Check (heck icons & stars even!)
4. Roster has balance- Check (sure maybe some tweaks)
5. Original- Check
6. Not a 'ling' team- Check

It follows all the rules & I really don't see how it's an odd collection of skills pasted on some player ideas.
To me it looks like a bunch of player fluff that fits the roster.
Please explain...

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2012 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been looking at this thread for a while, and I had a concern.

Let me say first that I don't currently play in the stunty division, so I'm not an authority on exactly how things work there.
But I am an avid player of main-line stunty teams: I've played quite a bit of Lizards and Halflings, and I think I have a pretty good idea of how stunty players operate on the field.

The problem I see it that–– practically speaking–– the Stunty skill occupies much of the same design space as the Leap skill. That is to say, Stunty and Leap allow players to do very similar things-- move past opposing screens and provide key tackle-zones, assists, and perhaps blitz or grab the ball.

But if this is going to be the "Leap" team of the Stunty division who's going to be doing that kind of leaping?

The linemen have Dodge, Stunty and Titchy, meaning that they already have a vastly better chance of making it to their destination by simply dodging. Note that Titchy also somewhat nullifies one of the main reasons that one might Leap in the first place-- to put debilitating tackle-zones around opposing players. I'm not the brightest marble in the bunch, but it's difficult for me to even conceive of a situation where it would be a good choice to Leap with such a player.

The big-guy has loner. Attempting a 3+ Leap roll with a Loner already seems like a terrible idea. For a blitz, it might be a nice desperation move, but keep in mind that this is a significant portion of your TV that you're risking, and his likely failure will negate the benefits of Prehensile Tail. For comparisons with other Loner/Leapers, there are 4 Star Players with Leap- and all but 1 of them Leap on a 2+. The fourth is never fielded because he's so bad (Lottabottol).

The blitzers have AG2 and AV6. Leaping with this stat-line is absurd. End of story.

That leaves the Throwers, who don't have Leap.

So.... why would anyone ever Leap with any member of this team?

Having played quite a bit of Slann myself, and having played against some of the best Slann coaches on FUMBBL, I can say that one learns very quickly to never Leap unless it is absolutely necessary.
And that's despite...
Slann Linemen have ST3, meaning that a successful leap frees up a solid player for blitzing or guarding.
Slann Linemen have AV8, meaning that a failed leap has a somewhat low chance of breaking armor.
Slann Linemen are not stunty, meaning an armor break is less likely to cause a critical injury.
Slann Rerolls are 50k (the minimum) so Slann coaches regularly carry around plenty to handle all those Leap rolls.

Now, if the "frog" thing is pure flavor, then sure, ok, Leap and Very Long Legs are just useless fluff. But why squander the opportunity to make a Stunty team that actually IS the analogue of Slann?

It seems to me that if you want people to use Leap, you have to make it easy and appealing. The mainline Slann team is more-or-less built so that Leaping is its only offensive advantage–– it has to use Leap, or it's got nothing. Maybe this team should be build around that sort of idea?

Give them low MA, so they have to go over screens rather than around them. Don't give anyone dodge, and make it hard to get dodge. Don't give them the other non-Leap option of Throw Team-Mate. Don't give them a passing game. Instead, give them reliable leapers, and some blitzers built around the idea of a Leaping blitz. This would make a team that is genuinely different to play with than other.

If it were my design (which it's not at all) I would make it SOMETHING like this

Bullfrog 0-4
4148 Horns, Strip Ball, No Hands, Leap, Very Long Legs, GS/AMP 80k

Spitting Frog 0-2
5147 Stunty, Kick-Off Return, Leap, Very Long Legs G / ASP 90k

Linemen 0-16
4146 Stunty, Guard, Leap, Very Long Legs A / GPS 40k

or, whatever. But you get the idea.
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2012 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

cameronhawkins wrote:
Note that Titchy also somewhat nullifies one of the main reasons that one might Leap in the first place-- to put debilitating tackle-zones around opposing players.
Although I'm not really addressing the whole of your post (I'll leave that for others), but Titchy doesn't really nullify debilitating tackle zones. Titchy only affects people dodging INTO their TZs, it doesn't eliminate the need to dodge when leaving the TZ, or reduce the effects of their TZ on Passes, Hand-offs, Catches, or Blocks, so there are still plenty of reasons to put Titchy players in adjacent positions.
nexusvalhees

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2012 - 03:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Titchy also has little to no downside in stunty since almost all dodges done in stunty are by stunty players

Remember folks if you don't go out of your way to kill good players AGING IS YOUR FAULT!!
cowhead

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2012 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I've change the Bull Frog so it now has 3 AG but no Dodge.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2012 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Titchy does however give the dodger +1 to dodge so they're moving everywhere on a 2+ rerolled assuming no tackle/dt/pt which is what I think was Cameron's point.
cowhead

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2012 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a reminder of the 'Zapped' Roster for anyone who cares. As there seems to be a New Stunty Roster revival going on at the moment.

In The Begining
Let me take you back, back to a simpler time when the Wizards were a major part of any Blood Bowl team. And the College of Magic Cup was a major tournament on the Blood Bowl circuit. But as in all things change has to come.

The Final of the College of Magic Cup XXVII
The change came about during the Final of the Cup being played at the 'Field of Dreams' stadium in front of over 20000 supporters. During the opening drive of the 2nd half, the Wizard of the Bright Rays of Light decided to use the once popular spell 'Zap!' to turn the star Orc Blitzer of Waargh Weavers into a Frog for the rest of the drive. That would be the last time that spell was used in a Blood Bowl match.

The Event
What came next has been written out of the Blood Bowl annals and is known to but a few in the highest levels of the College of Magic Patriarchy.
'At first after the spell was cast nothing seemed to happen just a low hum could be heard along with Thrum Thrum Thrum of the Orc Drums, then came a solitary Pop from somewhere in the stands followed by a scream, the more Pops followed by more Pops as Fan after Fan and Player after Player started to turn into Frogs.'
Nobody knows what caused the spell to cause such mayhem. Some say one of the Chaos Gods took offense to the Wizard, who in the previous game had turned one of his prized Beastmen into a Frog, who subsequently went squish beneath the boot of a Human Blitzer.
Some say a group of Renegade Wizards amplified the spell due to their dislike of the blatant violence and butchery displayed on a daily basis on the Blood Bowl field.

The Aftermath
To this day the gates to the 'Field of Dreams' has been sealed to all except a handful of High Wizards. Under the order of the High Magus they have been trying to reverse the effects of the disatrous spell. Unfortunately every attempt to restore one of the Frogs to its natural state resulted in some weird and wonderful mutations.

Present Day
The current High Magus, upon discovery of the Frogs while researching the College of Magics history in Blood Bowl came upon an idea. What if these Grotesques, these weird and wonderful Mutated Frogs could be formed into a team, a Blood Bowl team.

Zapped!

Rerolls 60k
Goliaths 0-2 130k Image Image
The 1st attempts at Transmogrification resulted in a quickening of the Frogs growth rates ctreating these Behemoths of the Frog world, it also has a long tongue which can trip unwary opponents.
MA 5 ST 5 AG 3 AV 8 S(GAP)
Loner, Leap, Prehensile Tail, No Hands, Very Long Legs, Wild Animal

Bull Frogs 0-2 70k Image Image Image Image
The Wizards were still in the early stages, they tried to grow the Frogs some limbs but the legs just didn't stop growing and horns sprouted out of its head.
MA 6 ST 2 AG 3 AV 6 G(APS)
Horns, Leap, No Hands, Very Long Legs

Spitters 0-2 60k Image Image
These strange looking Frogs have four legs and a large sucker for a mouth where they can suck in vast amounts of air which can be used to propel anything large distances. Although they will occassionally swallow something or someone.
MA 5 ST 2 AG 3 AV 7 P(GAS)
Always Hungry, Hail Mary Pass, Throw Team Mate

Darts 0-16 50k Image Image Image Image Image Image
These Frogs were the most common of the Frogs created. Their front legs webbing expanded in towards its body giving the impression of wings and the ability to glide long distances.
MA 6 ST 1 AG 3 AV 6 A(GPS)
Dodge, Leap, Right Stuff, Stunty, Very Long Legs

Star Players
Darwin 100k Image Image
A freak of nature with one large hand sticking out the top of its head, and a damn fine Blood Bowl Player.
MA 6 ST 1 AG 4 AV 6
Loner, Big Hand, Dodge, Leap, Stunty, Very Long Legs

Frogzilla 240k Image Image
A biped firebreathing giant frog with no upper limbs.
MA 5 ST 6 AG 3 AV 8
Loner, Bombadier, Juggernaut, Leap, Mighty Blow, No Hands, Very Long Legs