53 coaches online • Server time: 23:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2013 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Fluff
Deep in the caves along the Bleak Coast in Southern Naggaroth live a small and frightened race. Solitary and unable to bear the touch of the sun they live on their own - hunting in the dark for creatures even littler and weaker than themselves to eat. These are the troglodytes.

It is very hard to find two of these creatures together, never mind 11, but every few years they do gather for one purpose alone - so the Great Queen can select a new mate and spawn the next generation of trogs. By tradition she choses the best bloodbowl players - but those those that survive on the pitch may face an even grimmer fate. The Queen is huge, an obese monstrosity that dominates Troglodyte society in every way. She is a servant of the witch king and has been blessed with great powers to ensure she can control her people. She eats continually, anything she can find that is soft and squelchy. Few of her mates are ever seen again and it is rumoured she once ate a hydra, but whatever the truth her great mass has made her a powerful and dangerous creature, almost indestructible. Her only weakness is her simpering fondness of her Young Cold One pets. These are kept in wooden cages and fed the mangled body parts of the defeated (or inadequate) suitors. Once they can eat a whole trog, they are deemed too big and too dangerous to keep and are given to the Dark Elves of Naggaroth in tribute.

Trogs cover themselves in Cold One slime to safely approach and feed the Queen's pets, fooling the dimwitted creatures into thinking they are friend not food. This allows the trogs to take Young Cold Ones on to the blood bowl pitch, but woe betide any trog whose slime is scraped off.

The young cold ones are trained to sweep their tails to trip up opponents and a well placed trog can be swept up and thrown into the air by the powerful catapult motion.

On the pitch the troglodytes like to hide behind the Queen and her young cold one pets although some brave ones even try to ride the lizards like knights - but although this activity is encouraged by their Dark Elf masters, the trogs do find it very hard to control such powerful creatures.

The players
1 Queen, 3 6 1 10 - loner, foul appearance, disturbing presence, regenerate, mighty blow - Str 120k
0-16 Troglodyte, 6 2 3 7 - loner, leader, thick skull, dodge, stunty, right stuff - Ag 40k
0-4 Young Cold One, 6 3 1 8 - loner, prehensile tail, really stupid, TTM, always hungry claw - Str 70k
0-2 Trogloknights, 6 4 2 9 - loner, juggernaught, horns, wild animal, frenzy, thick skull - G, Ag, Str 100k

rr - 40k

Special rules (if possible to apply)
No-one watches the trogs play except other aspiring suitors so they are not a team in any real sense. They are not allowed any cheer leaders, wizards or assistant coaches and the ff roll is always made with -1d6.

Balance
I hope having loner on everyone dilutes the power of the roster, they have high str and av for stunty. I was also unsure whether the trogloknights should have secret weapon or wild animal as their negatrait. Also, not sure on the prices. Feedback welcome, this is very much a work in progress concept that needs input from the rest of the community.

Edit
I have taken on board some of the feedback received since the first proposal.
I have made the trogloknights and queen a lot more effective and weakened the cold ones in comparison.
The troglodytes gain thick skull to represent their thick headedness (and make the cost more workable)
Loner: I debated this a lot but in the end I think this is what the team is about. The players hate each other and will cheer when one of their own teammates fails an action as it boosts their own chances with the queen - I feel loner is the best way to represent that.
TTM: this is a bit contrived I admit, but players getting eaten by their teammates is an essential and unmissable part of the BB experience IMO. But if the objections are overwhelming I will remove it.

Last edited by uzkulak on Feb 20, 2013 - 20:43; edited 1 time in total
cameronhawkins

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2013 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I myself have often theorized about a team with loner linemen.

However, unless the RR cost was dropped down to 30k, RRs would simply never be used.

Thus, they would have to have immense stats or skills to compensate, because this would be a race that would basically never GFI, block first, pass the ball, etc. Think about what this would look like. They would need AG4 players, and would likely need to start with a number of Wrestlers to make blocking even conceivable, as well as some Pro players. And even then, they would be quite weak.

Imagine a team that's receiving, against 3 on the LOS. What's your first move? Is it going to be–– like most races–– throwing a 2-die block by a player with no blocking skills? If so––– team is too weak. Think about that.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2013 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, they have the str and skills access to make mostly 3db was my thinking, and long term 4 easy cpomb - but I take your point. Perhaps they need 0-4 G access queen's favourites or have the trogloknights start with guard? Im reluctant to remove the loner as that is kind of the point of the team.

A sensible coach would of course focus on skill rr wherever possible in developing most players and would only take a couple of team rr for emergencies.

I'll wait to garner some more opinion.
Azure

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2013 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

with all loners, i would just make a 0 RR team - you have leader on the linemen, so no point in actually having team RRs. (Not saying this is bad - just saying that anyone building a competitive team will go 0 team RRs)
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2013 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

0 RR = minmax funs!

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2013 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

also, why would anyone buy the knights. too weak for the cost, given that secret weapon removes them after a drive.

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2013 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

blah. oh, this is stunt

Last edited by pythrr on Feb 20, 2013 - 03:41; edited 1 time in total
cameronhawkins

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2013 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I was trying to imply what Azure said about RR.

Also, why Leader on the Linemen, of all places? Wouldn't it make more sense on....... the Queen?

If they can get 3-die blocks, I guess that's a good place to start, but I don't see how they'd regularly get more than one right off the bat, unless they have Guard.

On the pitch, these guys are going to suffer a lot of both-down, so giving MB to the Cold Ones might be good, since they don't really behave themselves much anyway.

Linemen should get thick skull for free since they have loner, or drop to 30k.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2013 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

well, its for the fluff, they are all competing to be top dog, so each of them wants to be the leader - which is kind of pointless as they are all leaders with no followers Smile

hmm, some interesting ideas there, thanks cameron, I'll have a ponder on my commute tomorrow. Thanks for your feedback!
baelnic

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2013 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

How does a Cold One (I'm assuming like Warhammer Cold ones) throw a teammate?
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2013 - 02:12
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

They huff and they puff and they BLOW THE DOOD AWAY!
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2013 - 02:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I did actually - intentionally - cover that point off in the opening fluff bit Smile But I understand a lot of text is off-putting, so fair enough you didnt read it.
baelnic

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2013 - 04:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, I skipped that part. Still don't like it fluffwise.
baelnic

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2013 - 04:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of troglodytes in stunty though. Good start!
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2013 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Changes updated in 1st post:

Added MB to Queen, increased cost
Added +str, TS, Frenzy and WA to trogloknights, removed secret weapon (amended fluff!) and increased cost
changed BH to RS on cold ones, reduced cost - victim of fact knights are now a lot more powerful
added TS to troglodytes.
reduced rr cost

Justified the changes in OP edit section!
 Jump to: