34 coaches online • Server time: 10:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
licker

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2014 - 08:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I miss MoO3.

That was a great great game.

Though the execution was absolutely horrific.

None the less, after Bhuric patched it up, and a few modders did their thing, it was hands down the best space 4x ever. Yes, EVER.

Still killed the franchise, but we should really blame Atari for refusing to sell the IP to someone who might actually make a great MoOIV.
Badoek

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

In game footage

It does look pretty, nice stadium too Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

The pre game / action animation stuff on a high end demo PC for a trailer should be very pretty the first time, it's 2014! If it wasn't it'd be more of a surprise.

I hope for the sake of those that buy it that the same, albeit pretty, (for instance dodge) animation hasn't been used so often you are fed up of it by half time of the first game and want to scratch your eyes out, and that it's still pretty when you've zoomed out far enough to actually be able to see what you're doing. This was not the case previously. And, you know, that the implementation isn't as bad as previous versions (you know, insert all of the usual popular Cyanide laments people have). Wink
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 08:52 Reply with quote Back to top

It is very pretty looking indeed. Lets all stop the cyanide bashing. Since we all started tabletop bloodbowl it was our dream to be able to "live" the blood bowl experience through a beautiful pc game. Cyanide went and did this through several iterations. Problem is, we realised we don't care about that pretty crap after all. We just want to play Blood Bowl!

Oscar Wilde
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe its called Blood Bowl 2 because it is staged with a secret release of the next table top iteration by GW with all new rules, teams, models and box set? After all it is getting close to the anniversary...

Oscar Wilde
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Lets all stop the cyanide bashing

no. it is an abomination that walks the earth, and the lord (i.e. nuffle) is displeased by it.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 09:23 Reply with quote Back to top

a) I think opinions are allowed. Mine isn't based on some home team FUMBBL bias; I tried the product, the product was not up to scratch, and then you read about all of the online issues that make extended play problematic even if you get past the interface / other issues the game has. This is a new product, perhaps it will be any good. Like a Michael Bay film, it deserves an open mind before it arrives, but if / when it is as poor as the previous offerings, we're allowed to say so. Another house ruled roster is not a strong start, but from a business point of view, you can see why they'd do it. They won't care if I / a number of FUMBBL users don't like it anyway, so long as the same old faces dutifully roll up and give them enough cash to turn a profit. And why should they?

b) Oh, the secret box theorem. This year, last year, next year, the rumour will go on and on until it one day happens. If and when it does, there have been so many cries of 'Wolf!' That no one can claim they called it. The most likely reason for it being called BB2 is that it's an upgrade on the first set of iterations, nothing more.
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

If they are calling Blood Bowl 2 this next release with I think the first 8 teams, what do you guys think they will call each of the additional new expansions you will have to fork out for as well?

Oscar Wilde
blocknroll

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

^^^ Grod- money for old rope? a waste of cash?
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Bottom line is they are releasing an unfinished products AGAIN!!! 8 teams only. 1 of them is brettonians so really only 7 teams. God knows what they will do with them but if khorne tram are anything to go off bretonnians will probably have ninjas and flying monkeys with av10 an ag1. So I'm not expecting anything good there. Also the game will come with a whole host of new bugs guarenteed .

On the plus side Andy hall is doing the one player campaign mode so the story will be good. However the ai will no doubt be terrible again.

It looks pretty , but again we all know they are just re-releasing shiny poo.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
The most likely reason for it being called BB2 is that it's an upgrade on the first set of iterations, nothing more.

There is more, they are giving us bretonnians and the ability to buy and sell players... Dear God they are dumb.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Bottom line is they are releasing an unfinished products AGAIN!!! 8 teams only. 1 of them is brettonians so really only 7 teams. God knows what they will do with them but if khorne tram are anything to go off bretonnians will probably have ninjas and flying monkeys with av10 an ag1. So I'm not expecting anything good there. Also the game will come with a whole host of new bugs guarenteed .

On the plus side Andy hall is doing the one player campaign mode so the story will be good. However the ai will no doubt be terrible again.

Can they really be criticised for releasing the races in stages again? It worked last time (people parted with their hard earned moolah again and again), and how else, if you were in their shoes, would you shift add on packs? Stadiums / skins probably wouldn’t inspire coaches to part with their hard earned, races is the only leverage they really have, isn’t it?

I also understand them including a house ruled roster along the lines of the last one. Phone GW licensing (not the game studio), ask the man. The man says “You say it Blood ANGELS. Bowl is a funny way of saying Angels. Look, it doesn’t matter, how many more units will you sell? More than one? And we get how many pennies per unit for no effort on our parts? Good, approved.” You give the roster some sort of pseudo legitimacy by hooking a ‘name’ or two to it (what price the same team as were eventually behind Khorne after the first attempt), bingo bango. In all honesty, those that care about the rules / the game outside of Cyanide (all of the tens to hundreds who will moan on Internet fora) are dwarfed by those fly by nighters that will think ‘Ooh, cool, new. I’ll buy that’. And that’s who Cyanide rightly care about, they’re not there to be protectors of the game or make you and I happy, they’re there to make cash money. And good for them, they seem to be doing so, and it makes perfect sense to continue doing so in a manner that has been previously successful.

Those of us (likely those in this conversation, those that will moan when it’s full of bugs) that care a bit more about Blood Bowl and realise that Cyanide is a distant, different sandbox and not BB per se are not in the target market. We’re always going to be Blood Bowlers who care too much about if this rules is implemented correctly this, or house ruled roster that. Cyanide, and the people they sell to, rightly don’t care. So in a sense, everyone here is right. We’re right it’s rubbish because we’re the nerdiest of the nerdy who can’t be satisfied, I think their sales technique is correct, and the people having fun with it can’t be wrong, can they?

My only hope for BB2 is that more coaches come over to ‘real’ TT or FUMBBL Blood Bowl than did from BB1. I found the level of crossover as I’ve travelled about playing to be most disappointing, and I wonder why that was. Well, my other hope is that we don’t have 100 threads in General Chat wondering why we don’t yet have Khorne / Bretonnians /whatever other house rule in [R]. Wink

Edit: As for the marketplace thing, hmm. It does look bad, doesn't it? But I suppose we don't know exactly how it will work yet.
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Garion wrote:

Can they really be criticised for releasing the races in stages again? It worked last time (people parted with their hard earned moolah again and again), and how else, if you were in their shoes, would you shift add on packs? Stadiums / skins probably wouldn’t inspire coaches to part with their hard earned, races is the only leverage they really have, isn’t it?

I agree with all you have said. But they said a long time ago, when BB 2 was first announced they would release a complete version of Bloodbowl CRP. All the teams and rules implemented. Then when the first trailer hit, they said, actually we are giving you 8 teams one of which is made up and some new house rules that are very very odd.

I think people have the right to be cheesed off tbh. They have bought 3 versions of their rubbish game already, and now have to drop from 22 teams back down to 8. Seems like bad craic to me really.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 11:26 Reply with quote Back to top

A long, long (long) time ago I worked for GW and it was common knowledge that Blood Bowl was not a favourite game amongst the number crunchers for the simple reason that people could buy a team and then that was it, they were done. The whole GW business model was predicated on a game system in which there was no end to the amount of money that could be spent on it.

I know that you know this Garion but if Cyanide released a full - and working...ahem - version of the game with all of the races then no more income except off the one time hit. We are in an age of dlc and free-to-play that in some cases is more pay-to-not-wait but so many people don't care enough to not be a part of it that this is it for the foreseeable future.

Rather than rage about Cyanide I would think that it should make people realise just how good Fumbbl is and given some of the mooted changes (custom rosters for leagues etc etc) how good it is going to be for a long time.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
However the ai will no doubt be terrible again.

I hear that the AI will be scriptable. So, I assume that they will release crap then expect us to fix it for them.

Bretonnians are probably a good move. If anything they should have put in more 'fake' teams.

8 teams + more bugs is not very attractive to people who already have 20+ teams and workarounds for the existing bugs.

Leagues won't migrate until they have more teams.

Really, I am surprised that they thought it was worth the effort to rewrite from scratch. They are going to have to claw back the money somehow and people who have LE or CE probably won't feel that they need BB2.

Expect a lot more silly/gimmicky features.

Let's see how long it is before they dare kill the LE/CE servers. Twisted Evil

Jump to: