19 coaches online • Server time: 06:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mattwakeman

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

If the AI was decent (or scriptable - which to be honest I would be stunned if it was) and it had a good single player campaign then I could see why those on the fence would be interested. The fact that Fumbbl is a better 'product' doesn't matter when so few people get to know about it in comparison to Cyanide's game. I fully expect that the same thing will happen this time as the last release. A surge of interest in the new game which then dips and hopefully more people become aware of here.
Deniz87

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

bretonnians...what the......it's really a shame that there will be only 8..ahem...7.. teams in the first launch of the game.
I usually play the cyanide version as a kind of "train".
But if Peter will make a new version of AlBowl...well..I definitely prefer it instead of the cyanide BB.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

As far as I know, there's no one left at Cyanide who is familiar with the code of the previous versions (that's why there are no more bugfixes for the old version).

Therefore I assume that the new version will probably come with an entirely different set of bugs.

Considering that Cyanide is a French company, a Bretonnian roster makes kind of sense. As does adding dlc-content at a later point of time. The hardcore purists can't be helped anyway, in my opinion.

That said, if BB 2 is even slightly better than is predecessor, I will probably not hesitate to buy it once an opportunity to acquire it for a discount bargain arises.

I don't expect BB 2 to be awesome, but it would be perfectly feasible for them to come up with a really good product, so I wouldn't necessarily expect the worst.
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

If it was scriptable to the point I could port over my Grodbot and improve it I would be excited. If it was just changing a few parameters to make it more or less aggressive, it would be kind of pointless.

Oscar Wilde
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I've never played the Cyanide game and what I've heard about it has been enough to put me off, but I'll share this anecdote: A friend of mine, she used to be our "guild mother" back in WoW and played a Blood Elf Holy Priest, you know the type, she asked me about Blood Bowl, meaning of course the PC game, it was looking cool and she was considering giving it a try. So I told her Fumbbl was the better product. She made a team, we played half a game, she hasn't been online since. She most certainly couldn't have been bothered to become good enough to seriously compete on Fumbbl. But she would play against the AI on the Cyaninde game and enjoy the animations and have a couple hours of a good time. And why not? Just saying.
gjopie

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
She most certainly couldn't have been bothered to become good enough to seriously compete on Fumbbl. But she would play against the AI on the Cyaninde game and enjoy the animations and have a couple hours of a good time. And why not? Just saying.

Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with that if that is what you are after. The problem is, for most of us I imagine, we've seen what Blood Bowl can be, if done right. It is very hard to go back to a more basic product after that!

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the cyanide version against the AI can help those players that aren't so successful here on fumbbl(like me) on "reset" the frustration (because it's more likely to win more or less) or players that have discovered BB recently so they want to learn the basics of the game.
That's why I don't want to completely rage against the cyanide version. But if you want to play online,I'll always say FUMBBL,because is the best,realistic,complete and also free.
It doesn't matter if it's 2d and not 3d like cyanide.
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod is there any progress in using the grod bot on fumbbl with the current client?

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Grod is there any progress in using the grod bot on fumbbl with the current client?

Actually I just sent pm to Kalimar to ask him if he was still considering opening up an API for online bots. Basically its up to him.

Oscar Wilde
Deniz87

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

we want AlBooooowwl hehe
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Garion wrote:

Actually I just sent pm to Kalimar to ask him if he was still considering opening up an API for online bots. Basically its up to him.

Ah right. I still think making the academy division where you play against the grod bot the way to go. I think you should ask kalimar and christer if this would be possible. It would be an amazing addition to the site.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

I assume that they will release crap then expect us to fix it for them.

Why? They didn't expect anyone to fix the terrible AI from the first game. And none of "us" ever has fixed it either.

koadah wrote:

more bugs

[...]

existing bugs.

These really aren't a big deal. Hundreds of games being played each day and some big, well-organised, serious leagues are playing with this client without any significant problem.

koadah wrote:

Really, I am surprised that they thought it was worth the effort to rewrite from scratch. They are going to have to claw back the money somehow

Not sure I understand this. You're saying they've lost money on BB? I've not heard this claim before - do you have a link to the numbers?

koadah wrote:

and people who have LE or CE probably won't feel that they need BB2.

Depends somewhat on what they actually confirm feature-wise for the initial release, but I expect you're wrong there in general. The games industry model almost always involves shinier iterations with less content than their predecessors. People will certainly buy a prettier, slicker BB with the expectation it will be more feature-rich down the line.

Garion wrote:
Bottom line is they are releasing an unfinished products AGAIN!!!

Well that depends on what you perceive the product to be. You're judging it by its ability to replicate the CRP ruleset, but when it comes to videogame adaptations of board games or anything else it's either arrogant or naive in the extreme to expect you will get a perfect and complete reproduction.

It seems entirely sensible for Cyanide to do phased releases, DLC or whatever, given that the entire rest of the games industry is doing likewise, and it obviously limits your financial commitment and exposure.
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Arrogant... Eerm what? Think you are using the wrong word there. I get where you are coming from but the problem here is the first version of the game had 8 teams fair enough. Then they expanded it again, then again, then again, this is now their 4th release and they are back to 8 teams one of which is new. Personally I think this is bad practice, how many existing cyanide leagues are going to move to bb2 until they are back to their still incomplete 22 teams. I can't see many tbh. I'm sure it will sell okayish but they can't keep treating consumers like mugs and expect to get away with. With each version they release and continue to rip people off the more people will give up on their products especially when they are both full of bugs some of which actually break the game and force it to be abandoned.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
but they can't keep treating consumers like mugs and expect to get away with it.

Really? This seems to work for a lot of companies!

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe you are right. I guess the truth of it is most consumers are idiots then.