21 coaches online • Server time: 08:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

The Exploding Cup has begun! All brackets have been divided. This year's qualifiers brings 8 brackets, 4 brackets of 8, and 4 brackets of 7. Due to the amount of brackets, the first and second place teams will advance to the finals automatically, while the first place team will win a small prize for their efforts. This will result in a 16-man final bracket for the championship.

The qualifiers are a 4 round Swiss tournament. Deadlines are 1 week intervals, with the round 1 deadline set for April 16th.

Good luck to all!

--j

PS...watch out for that spiked ball Wink

ImageImage
paradocks

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 04:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Just specced a game and the spiked ball option didn't seem to be on..?
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 05:34 Reply with quote Back to top

no spiked ball for my match. maybe the spikes were stolen by the nurglings and used to stab my squigs.

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 05:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't tell anybody about that. Don't wanna be kicked out for cheating Razz
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Quick question: the groups with 7 teams and a filler seem to have awarded the points for wins against the filler teams. Won't this give an advantage to the 4 teams that face the filler? Are these going to be changed to 0 point byes? I'm in an 8 team group, so it doesn't affect me at all, just wondered.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey now, don't go taking out my hard earned win against the infamous Filler. Those goblins really try hard but just can't catch a break Wink
Ziggyny

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Byes should be worth full points. The alternative is to heavily disadvantage the teams that get the byes and that's terrible. Getting no points and no SPP and not getting to play a game is a really horrible deal.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
I asked this on the news item but it's likely more visible here. Will the 12 team brackets last year there was a 4 round Swiss. Will the 8 team brackets also have a 4 round Swiss or will it be 3 rounds? In other words, if I apply I'm committing to a game a week for 4 weeks.

Umm... You know... Unless you lose, you're committing to a game a week for about 2 months whenever you enter a majors, regardless of the format. =D

Purplegoo wrote:
I'm in for more fun.

I really hope this time that fairish games are easier to get off the back of the tournament and I can get a toe hold in the division. Just felt impregnable last year unless you were willing to put lots and lots of work in? Just me?

But raaaa, go Exploding Cup!

Yeah, that's really different from, say, ranked or box majors, where you can just slap together a team in 3-5 games and win the tourney with them.

*edit upon rereading I guess you meant FINDING fairish games, not the effort of playing them and building up a team. Sry! =)
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 08:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed.

Don't sully the good name of Stunty with other 'Majors', anyway. This is the real deal!
PainState

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the swiss qualifier I believe will be 4 rounds for two reasons.

1)It was last year. Even though the EC qualifier info page never mentions how many rounds.

2)With a 8 team qualifier if it only goes 3 rounds that opens up a very good chance that if you lose 1 match you are out. It almost eliminates the Ties from consideration, they are almost as dreadful as a loss, almost.

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
I asked this on the news item but it's likely more visible here. Will the 12 team brackets last year there was a 4 round Swiss. Will the 8 team brackets also have a 4 round Swiss or will it be 3 rounds? In other words, if I apply I'm committing to a game a week for 4 weeks.

Yes. 4 rounds for everyone.

xnoelx wrote:
Quick question: the groups with 7 teams and a filler seem to have awarded the points for wins against the filler teams. Won't this give an advantage to the 4 teams that face the filler? Are these going to be changed to 0 point byes? I'm in an 8 team group, so it doesn't affect me at all, just wondered.

It does give a small advantage, but it also gives a disadvantage of no casualty bonuses.

Additionally, if teams facing fillers are awarded 0 points, then they are at a significant disadvantage to those teams that play 4 matches.

Lastly, the teams that are facing filler teams are typically teams that have at least 1 loss against them(save for the opening round, obviously). We ran with fillers in last year's tournament, and the vast majority of "filler" matches were against teams in the bottom of the bracket. Yes, there were a handful of top half teams that faced fillers, but every winner of each bracket avoided fillers, and only 1 second place team faced a filler.

With fewer people in the brackets, obviously the chances for facing fillers is increased, but it's nowhere near close to being a big enough concern that I feel it's going to unbalance things.

paradocks wrote:
Just specced a game and the spiked ball option didn't seem to be on..?

It seems the refs supplied the wrong ball for some of the matches.

Those responsible have been sacked.

Matches should begin with appropriate spikiness.

--j

ImageImage
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2014 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Would have been fair to put the spiked ball rule to the group page. I was the most surprised getting my player KO'd after let him fail the pickup.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2014 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Qualifier 1 two top teams face off today at 8 pm bbtime. Should be a classic game of bash vs ball, forest gobs will bring a lot of stab and mighty blows, while the pro flings got some pretty nice ballplayers and maybe inducements.

*Free throwing spears will be provided for greenskinned fans at the stadium entrance, while halfling fans get a ticket for the after-game hot-pot buffet*
xnoelx

Post   Posted: May 02, 2014 - 03:16 Reply with quote Back to top

The first 2 qualifier groups have been decided. In Group 8, two Eshin teams advance (Jokaero's & Sigmar1's), while in Group 7, 2 FGob teams go through (Immeli's & m0gw41's).

Elsewhere, most groups still have 2 places up for grabs, at least mathematically, though some are looking fairly settled. The exceptions are Group 4, which will definitely see the_Sage's PFlings in the finals, and Group 3, where SzieberthAdam's Skinks are assured of a finals spot, if my maths is right...

Post   Posted: May 02, 2014 - 04:46 Reply with quote Back to top

My only loss was to Jokaero, who's stabbers stab stabbity stabbed the bejeesus outta me, whereas my stabbers handed out tickles.

After getting my assassin cas'd early in game one (no spps) by a thrown horror, and then mng'd in game 2 (no spps for game 2 or 3), I'm STUNNED I'm actually advancing.

Did I mention Jokaero's luck with stabbing? His team is +9 cas difference. ESHIN! PLUS NINE! That's just crazy. My Eshin team is -3 cas difference (largely due to -4 cas difference in my match vs. Jokaero...did I mention his cas'ing my entire LOS on T1?), and the other Eshin team in our bracket is -8 cas difference.

But oh no, not Jokaero...PLUS NINE. Lucky bugger.