17 coaches online • Server time: 06:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't talking about your posts, I was talking about RS's input. Whilst I didn't use the quote function, I did refer to some edited language.

Painstate posts are generally as easy to pigeon hole as anyone else's, but I think cynical is almost certainly the wrong adjective for you. Wink
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

We shouldn't sugar coat truth to avoid scaring newbs.
Honest posts from jaded veterans are often the most useful thing to read on a forum if u are trying to learn about a game - IMO you don't understand a game until you understand its flaws
gazdajack

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 11:02 Reply with quote Back to top

All great points and the input is much appreciated.

In all honesty, how difficult is it to get a game in R as a Chaos team with CPOMB? I don't want to invest time into a team that people won't play!

Would there be opportunities for a team like that in a league?
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

gazdajack wrote:

In all honesty, how difficult is it to get a game in R as a Chaos team with CPOMB? I don't want to invest time into a team that people won't play!

I suppose it would depend on how much CPOMB you plan to have. You could still play tournaments. People couldn't avoid you then.

If you want to be a "kill all menz" maniac the you need to be in the [B ]ox division.

How long it would take a league to fed up you would probably depend on how successful you were at killing menz.

The commish's whim is law. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

gazdajack wrote:

Well the art of getting a game in Ranked is arguably deserving of a topic in of itself (and no doubt has been repeatedly over the years).

It's something like:

Base chance of getting a game = 75

CR = Experienced + 100
CR = Veteran + 75
CR = Rookie + 50
CR = Star - 10
CR = Super Star - 15
CR = Legend -25

Team = CPOMB-Basher -50
Team = Basher - 35
Team = Elves/Skaven +5
Team = Slann/Vampire + 20
Team = Stunty +25

Well, you get the message hopefully.

gazdajack wrote:

This is your best bet outside Box. League is also more fun in general of course, but it's a commitment and you won't be able to play whenever you like.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

gazdajack wrote:

Yes, definitely.

Keep in mind though that several major leagues have already nerfed the killstack one way or the other, while most leagues come with racial caps, which means that some of those leagues will not allow you to join with a new Chaos side when all chaos/bash slots are taken.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

King_Ghidra wrote:

This is your best bet outside Box. League is also more fun in general of course, but it's a commitment and you won't be able to play whenever you like.

League is not necessarily much of a commitment. Most O[L]C Events only require a maximum of three games. One if you lose first round. Wink

145 Rookie league and Open League Sprint allow you to play whenever you are able and can find an opponent.

Of course the choice of opponent will not be a huge as ranked. But you will get a league atmosphere, get to know the gang, build rivalries. win trophies etc rather than just drawing a succession of anonymous coaches.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 15:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I always feel (as a vast, wooly generalisation) that the difficulty of getting a game in Ranked as CR and team bashiness increases is overstated in the forum (bear in mind, the forum is only used by a low percentage of coaches, many of us with axes that have been ground away to nothing.. Wink).

I never seem to have an issue getting a game. Granted, although my CR is generally not too bad, I tend to gravitate toward non scary teams that will not make a dent in your bank balance (although my CDs of late seem to have been Elven magnets, although tiny sample size). I think it’s easier to get a game if you’re a known ‘name’ (with a target implied on your back), and also my karma is relatively good, I’ll play more or less everything by choice on a relatively fair number of occasions (‘fair’ being in the eye of the beholder, as it always will be). But more than personal experience, there are a number of heavy bash teams I always see getting games (key here is being fluffy and cool and developing a team others want to be part of the history of – do the Angry Newscasters or Lone Stars (for examples) ever struggle to find an opponent?), and any number of teams on the finder loaded up with killer skills that must play _someone_.

The grizzled veteran telling you you need to pick to be successful this or you’ll struggle to find games that does not seem to chime with my experience of the division, plain and simple. But I would agree with the concensus that if Ranked does not give your killy team the number of games you want, there are other outlets for you to break bones.

In general, the advice encouraging you to try League is strong. Your free time to FUMBBL is precious, and you should always make time to play Blood Bowl on your terms as well as play in official divisions. There will be something for you in L, go find it and enjoy it. I’d also encourage everyone to try Blackbox once. If it’s for you, it’s for you. The only advice you shouldn't listen to is someone telling you to not try something.

Suck it and see, essentially. Play the game as you wish.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

gazdajack wrote:

In ranked, this generally depends on your CR. I'm actually more likely to avoid a CPOMB team played by a rookie then one played by a legend. More often than not, the result of a game vs CPOMB comes down to if your opponent rolls CAS or KOs. Being able to afford bloodweiser babes is also a plus.

If a team has 4 CPOMB players, I'm probably not going to play it under any circumstances, because it's going to be impossible to out-play and will likely come down to (a) who gets the ball first and (b) how good my KO rolls are. I don't find those games very interesting, and are often decided very early on, one way or another. Generally they end with the Chaos coach gangfouling what few players remain after I've either taken an early 2-0 lead or seen my team evaporate in the first couple of moves.

Permanent injuries to stars doesn't usually factor in. Blodge elves, especially the stars, tend to come out of these matchups unscathed. You will often lose 2-3 rookie linemen, which can get costly to replace.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2014 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

gazdajack wrote:

Just don't build a team like that and try something more fun (that also might not be dull for your opponent). The more fun (or at least not one dimensional) teams the merrier, in Box and in any division.
 Jump to: