27 coaches online • Server time: 08:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 11:18
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I decided to give Skinks a whirl in this year's Exploding Cup (greatest tournament on FUMBBL). I'm certainly enjoying them, a lot more than I enjoyed playing Eshin though the teams look and play similarly. They aren't a very common team, and I have no experience at all with them, so I thought I'd take to the forums in my quest for knowledge.

I started out with all positionals but lost a Whiptail in the first game and haven't bothered buying a replacement yet. I got the impression that one was making me vulnerable enough until I got a few skills and I'll leave-off buying the second back for a while. I'm questioning their value over a normal lineskink.

On skill development, I find them an interesting team. Very unconventional options. I have 2 Skinks and a Raptor skilled after game 2 (not rolled yet).

Skinks: Normal skills on stunties are usually boring.
I suppose this is the typical side-step/diving tackle selection though I'd welcome any other suggestions. Really though Doubles intrigue me. I can see value in Block, DP and Kick. If I get one double, which is the most valuable? Which should be selected first? Kick is very appealing with the high movement of the team. The only G access players have no-hands so Block on a skink is also a great option to make a ball-carrier (given the lack of block and tackle in rookie stunty. DP I think would be lower priority than both of these, though a useful 3rd or 4th double on the team. All stats would be good for Skinks.

Raptor: Raptors are G access, making Block and Tackle great choices, and Mb on doubles. Stats intrigue me on these. I think I'd pass on both Ma/Av and Ag as having Ag4 and no-hands is wasting a lot of the ability. Str I think I'd take though early on it's value next to Block would be questionable, but Is struggle to pass up these things Smile

Whiptail: Having side-step and Prehensile Tail makes them awkward and Diving Tackle would be the only choice on these I think, with Block on doubles. I think sprint is probably the next choice. All stats seem good on these guys, like the Skinks.

Adept: Not really sure on this guy. Other than taking multi-block on a double for multi-stab fun I would thing they develop exactly the same as skinks. Makbe use this guy for Kick on a double as he won't be on the LOS.

I have 135k and 11 players currently. Don't know my next opponent so will wait before rolling skills and purchasing, but could probably do with a couple more players.

Advice from any Skink players appreciated Very Happy
gjopie

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2014 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't played with them too much (12 games), but I would consider Jump Up as a more decent choice than usual for singles. It takes advantage of their speed, and I've given my whiptails jump up early on to good effect. Of course, it does assume that they'll be getting up after getting knocked down, but AV7 isn't bad in stunty, and being able to hop up and run 8 squares from prone is incredible against majority MA 5-6 players.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2014 - 09:52
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Man this is a popular thread. Why hasn't it got one of those flashing 'hot topic' things next to it? Razz

I was looking at Jump Up and think it's a solid suggestion. I always liked it and as you say with AV7 it'll be more useful than a on most teams, giving a bit of extra range to an already fast team.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
gjopie

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2014 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, I think it is partly because skinks aren't a very popular team. I'm not sure anyone has really got a strong opinion on how best to play them. Plus I think your initial skill suggestions look pretty good.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2014 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Defintely go jump up as first normal on the whiptails and adepts.
I personally think the whiptails are great positionals and do not need Diving Tackle before jump up, the PT and SS combo is insanely disruptive to opponents and AV7 makes these guys extremely durable for Stuny.
 Jump to: