41 coaches online • Server time: 00:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
garyt1

Post 6 Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 04:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Who is planning on going over to Vancouver (White Rock) for the Spike tournament next month (sep 20/21) ? Any undecided who need to be prodded in to going to enjoy a major TT tournament? I have only entered Powtown in Calgary before but that was great and am looking forward to this as a much bigger event.

http://spiketournament.com/
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 04:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Man, I'd love to do that next year when I finally get my team.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Come join us. Sexeh will be there. And by sexeh I mean me.

rawr.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 07:05 Reply with quote Back to top

The locals are a fun group and generally don't take the game too seriously. Plus only a few of us are any good so when foreigners visit they generally run the table -- Danes, Swedes in recent years, this year it's the blokes from Jolly Old England.

Win a major, come to Vancouver. How's that for incentive.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the order is Come to Vancouver, win a major Very Happy

Though I hear PGoo may be going so the winning could be tough after all.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

How does he play hungover? Top players on the first day generally get taken out for a very great many drinks.... Very Happy
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't wait til the end of the first day! I'm planning on feeding him Scotch all day long!

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

How easy is this to get to via public transit? Don't have a car but have a nice set of legs.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I am flying to Vancouver though White Rock is not close to the airport. But I looked up that taking a short ride on the airport train and then switching to a bus will get you quite close (maybe a km from) to the venue without taking too long.
http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Vancouver-Airport-YVR-Canada/White-Rock

If you are going from Seattle there are coaches from Seattle to Vancouver, and then you could probably use a local bus to get nearby.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Ooh, great site, will have to remember that for the future!
fidius

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

That's a good route, Gary -- a bit of switching, but quick and civilized.

MRT, there is a bus up from Seattle, http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm, which if you get off at South Surrey (Campbell River Store) it is a short taxi ride over to the hotel (or 20 min walk if those legs are as nice as you say).

The cheapest airline from the States is Allegiant -- fly into Bellingham, WA (BLI) and find your way north across the border (car rental probably). Prices are less than $200 round trip from LAX (other cities may vary). The hotel is literally 12 blocks north of the border.

The other angle is to get some locals to pick you up wherever is convenient. This is eminently doable, just pm me or the Thunderbowl guys if you need to arrange a ride.

Spike! Magazine Tournament website is here:
http://spiketournament.com/
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

eh gary - let me know what time you'll be there Friday night, and we'll go for a drink.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 04:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll be there. I'll also be at Chaos cup. I am available to pick anyone that asks at our Sky train and drive them to the hotel. Though it should be early because I plan on being liquored by about 3pm Friday. I have the whole week off in between. I get back from chaos cup on the Tuesday and can hang out after that. Give me a pm if anyone gets to town. And yes P-Goo (as we like to call him) is coming. Smile

I can easily pick up people from the bus depot on Whiterock BC. I'll even put the top on my jeep if it rains.

Jeffro
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 05:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Rain? Come on, it's not Seattle.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 08:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello!

There are indeed four Englishmen coming over for the festivities this year. We're really looking forward to it.

Please feel free to try the drinks thing if I'm / we're doing well, although I should point out we won the World Cup with a huge hangover. Wink

See you all in a few weeks! \o/
 Jump to: