29 coaches online • Server time: 10:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2014 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all.

I'm planning to play the VTS a lot less in the future, avoiding time consuming HLP Sprints and using them mainly in Brawls and Tournaments. Hence, since I'm a Box addicted in the end, I need a new project going: build another couple long living teams, but always humans in the end, so the two options (since I really hate zons) are norse and chaos pact without big guys.

I have a fluff idea for the chaos pact team, based on The Witcher saga, the books, not the video-game. It easily accommodates for the mutant (yes!) humans and for the three renegades (Yennefer as Dark Elf, Dandelion as Skaven, Ciri as Goblin, for the ones familiar with the saga).

The tricky part, here, is that a no-Big-Guys chaos pact team can easily lead to a broken clawpomb team at low TV, even with the full set of renegades. I'm trying to come up with a skill restriction policy and advancement rules to avoid it.
I would like to know what the crew opinion is here, and I'm open to suggestions for different choices.

Piling On - ruled out, none will have it, it doesn't feel right with witchers style of combat.
Leader - ruled out, witchers are loners!
Allowed mutations - Claw (the witcher's sword), Two Head and Very Long Legs (combat style), the others are ruled out.
Doubles - forced, the order is Dodge, Jump Up / Side Step, to mimic acrobatic combat ability.
Stats - all forced, +MA over +AV.
The Dark Elf will be built as the ball carrier, the Skaven as a dedicated fouler, the Goblin I don't know anything that will fit, yet.

So what do you think?
It will work without becoming a rookie-hunter machine? Or without being an helpless team?
Do you have different suggestions?

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2014 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

will work fine as long as you dont spam cpomb.

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2014 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I played the game but didn't read the books. A focus on Two heads and dodge seems like a build that would be both viable and acrobatic. (with block and guard)

Ruling out piling on will help a ton in avoiding nastiness.

Sounds like fun; good luck with it!

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2014 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

If they are loners, won't they take Guard? I see Guard as the one skill that could keep them competitive if you don't want to go down the damage road...

Good idea, I love fluffy and themed teams. Good luck with it! Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2014 - 15:38
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Is there no fluff room at all for any of the bigs? In my experience they make pact so much more fun, and remind me of an old school chaos team with all the cool star players!

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2014 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Renegade with 3 regular skills = 130
Gob'er with 3 regular skills = 100
4 Marauders with 3 skills = 440
7 skill-less Marauders = 350
Apo + 3 TRR = 260
Fan Factor 10 = 100

..leaves you at about 1380 Team Value, after about 30 games.

You are sure to be getting plenty of inducements, after 30 games, if you are running no Biggun's. The Stars on the Pact team are less than desirable, but a Wizard and a Bribe or two to go with some DP's should make for a team that won't be completely mauled.

Good Luck!

=P

Nightbird

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2014 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunno anything about the books or game, but fluff based teams are cool especially in the box & especially w/out the cheese combo! Good luck w/ it man.

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2014 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
If they are loners, won't they take Guard? I see Guard as the one skill that could keep them competitive if you don't want to go down the damage road...

Good idea, I love fluffy and themed teams. Good luck with it! Smile

Yeah, Guard is a bit of the problem, but ruling it out too would make the team not viable.
In the end they are not real leaders, but are able to fight together, it happens! Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2014 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
Is there no fluff room at all for any of the bigs? In my experience they make pact so much more fun, and remind me of an old school chaos team with all the cool star players!

Unfortunately not, Witchers are monster slayers by contract.

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2014 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

If I was to create a new team I would call them some thing cool like Vulcan or Dread Riders. And ofc I would have a cool logo for the team else whats the point?

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2014 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Leap is a double that might need a higher priority - maybe even the first double if the player already has VLL. You might need to define more than one skill path based on th mutation they are destined for.

Not sure your list of allowed mutations should be so narrow. Mutation teams have wonderful potential for something really interesting and fun - claw is being used to represent something else (in this case a sword), I'd have thought you could do something similar for horns or prehensile tail. Might a shadowing tail sidestepper fit the design? Horns to represent the stronger hit from an attack while in motion rather than standing still?

I'm not sure you've got a huge worry about building it as a hopeless team - your record with humans suggests you'll be fine.

Join the Human League Premiership!
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2014 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunenzed wrote:
Leap is a double that might need a higher priority - maybe even the first double if the player already has VLL. You might need to define more than one skill path based on th mutation they are destined for.

Not sure your list of allowed mutations should be so narrow. Mutation teams have wonderful potential for something really interesting and fun - claw is being used to represent something else (in this case a sword), I'd have thought you could do something similar for horns or prehensile tail. Might a shadowing tail sidestepper fit the design? Horns to represent the stronger hit from an attack while in motion rather than standing still?

I'm not sure you've got a huge worry about building it as a hopeless team - your record with humans suggests you'll be fine.

Nice suggestions.
I will try to elaborate on it.

Jump to: