69 coaches online • Server time: 19:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Foul all mens and time out the second the timer hits 4.01 !

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

As long as yer oppo isnt AFK or disconnected timing out if fine, i usually give a warning but what u did is fine.

In regard to fouling, you did the right thing, when playing vs snotlings u should expect fouling, its about the only way a snotling is ever gonna hurt anyone, right?

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Move this thread into this thread https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=25437

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
pythrr

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

you did nothing wrong, according to the rules (as long as yr opp had not DCed)

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

There are actually one unwritten rule:
Never whine about bad dice.
charlie1331

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
There are actually one unwritten rule:
Never whine about bad dice.

That rule may need to be written down considering the amount of times I've seen it broken.

Wait, can you break unwritten rules?
albinv

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

1. Almost perfect sportmanship. Could only top it by warning you will time out before his turn has started or advanced to 3:20 mins. But as said nearly perfect.
According to the rules you are even allowed to time out always and without warning.

2. Last turn fouls are lame (mostly) - but even that is debated a bit lately it seems. Apart from that foul all menz.
Now if you really have to foul when a match is solidly decided - well thats up to you. Not rarely what have seemed decided turns into a tie in the last turns.
I mostly keep fouling and dont see a problem with that (im interested in fumbbl records f.i.). If i can take out a team and do as much cas as possible on top of my score it only doubles the success (also team retirements are extremely rare and unlikely nowadays with a nerfed boot and journeyman - so, hey...)! Also massive gangfouls will most likely compromise the positional play (at least how i do them!) - so its a trade-off really - if you look at it right im indeed actually one of the most fairest coaches around. Razz

Coaches who really get mad about it are rather rare id say...

Have fun and keep the boot swinging!

Last edited by albinv on %b %16, %2014 - %21:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder if there is a correlation between ~that's not fair~ and ~age~

=X

albinv

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, and if it isnt too bitter and doesnt target the opponent, which indeed is poor behaviour, then feel free to whine some! Can always tell all the non-whining superhumans you merely whined back... ^^
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Regarding 'whine'...

..only when there is a plate full of 'cheese'!

#MatchingGame

JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Most important unwritten rule: Never play PeteW on a Sunday!

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

K, I play slow, and when I do people often time me out, and (usually) justly so. That's not relevant here, just owning it.

As said above, you broke no written rules, but did break a soft unwritten one.
Sir_Marcus wrote:
I do care on how I am perceived. And the question is sincere.

1. On the timeout, as I see it, I was sporty to tell him beforehand at all.

Most(!) coaches see the Timeout rule as a way to 1) prevent opponents from over-thinking each and every turn (or even one tough one), and 2) keep games from running over 1.5-2 hours - NOT as a way to win.

In any one turn, you don't know if your opponent had a legit RL distraction that they simply didn't report. If they only have to move a couple men and are doing so quickly, if they've formed the cage but have not yet moved the ball into it, Timing Out is clearly just fear of your opponent's abilities and your lack of them, and has nothing to do with "game time".

Sutherlands wrote:
You told him in advance that you would use the button...

Yeah - no, he didn't.

Not every coach reads every /chat by other coaches during their turn. In fact, if he's concentrating on his turn, there's no reason to expect him to read it until he's done.

Coaches trying to /chat and slow their opponent down - that's just lame, and that ~could~ be seen as against the site rules. So "fair warning", ~if~ you're going to claim that, has to be given either 1) before the game (as often in my case, all good), or 2) on YOUR turn, so your oppo has no reason not to read it.

Otoh, if you have to Time Out to win, if that's the only way you can, sad for you. Me, I take pride in giving 99.9% of my oppos all the time they need, and still beating them. Wink

Oh - and Kill All Menz is brutal, but nothing new. In League it might make perfect sense to weaken all opponents (depending on strategy), and in Box likewise. In Ranked some don't see it, but one opponent on the pitch is a potential threat to your players. Just accept it when it comes back around. Wink

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Grods rules

1. Don't whine.
2. See the funny side if my team is being decimated.
3. See the funny side if I decimate my opponents team.
4. Never use timeout button. Sometimes I give a warning or threat for excessive time taking but I never follow through. Anyway too much lag and dusconnections for it to be fair.
5. Don't kill all menz just for the sake of it (no t16 fouls or surfs).
6. Don't whine.
7. Don't stall by default particularly if the game is won either way or my opponent has a less competitive team (like goblins).
8. Never concede, never give up. Remind myself of rule 2.
9. Congratulate my opponent on their good play or win. No matter how much luck is a factor, the rest is made up by my opponent playing better than me.
10. Don't whine.

Oscar Wilde
PainState

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Grods rules

1. Don't whine.
2. See the funny side if my team is being decimated.
3. See the funny side if I decimate my opponents team.
4. Never use timeout button. Sometimes I give a warning or threat for excessive time taking but I never follow through. Anyway too much lag and dusconnections for it to be fair.
5. Don't kill all menz just for the sake of it (no t16 fouls or surfs).
6. Don't whine.
7. Don't stall by default particularly if the game is won either way or my opponent has a less competitive team (like goblins).
8. Never concede, never give up. Remind myself of rule 2.
9. Congratulate my opponent on their good play or win. No matter how much luck is a factor, the rest is made up by my opponent playing better than me.
10. Don't whine.

I second all these rules but have problems with not whining about dice. That is the coaches last ditch effort to get NUFFLE to change the winds of fate...do not deny the losing coach his one last life line.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

It is not possible to foul "to much"... If you got 1 player left... and he's got a player on the ground. Then go for it! It's Blood Bowl, not Prancing Faeries Bowl (because they got fouled to death!)