32 coaches online • Server time: 09:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

fidius wrote:
I don't mind fouling into the last few turns of a game if there is evidence they are roleplaying a nasty team, or even out of frustration, revenge, whatever. But if it feels like they're just doing it to be a prick, I get agitated.

As for timing out, 40s isn't enough warning. Tell them at the beginning of the game, or after the first 4+ whistle. And if they are relatively new to the site (<20 games or so) consider giving them more slack.

This is how I'd do it too. As long as your opponent was actually playing for those 4 minutes, what you did was legal, but more harsh than most would be on this site.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Sir_Marcus wrote:
Hello fellow fumbblers,

In a recent game playing my Ogre team I was accused of not using fair play a couple of times. What do you think, have I broken any unwritten rules here?

1. In his turn 2 he used a lot of time. With 40 secs left I said that I will use that timeout button. I also did. He though I should have told him beforehand that I was planning to use the button. At least one turn before using it.

2. In the second half, he had very few players left on the pitch. I however kept fouling him. He did not think that was very sporty.

Do I need to learn how to behave? =)

answers:
1) Just another reason to have the timeout button prevent timeouts instead of calling them. Too many coaches aren't mature enough to handle knowing someone has the power to hold them to the rules.

2) It's your prerogative. If he "gave up" and just kept his players down, it's fumbbl rules that you can't just play along, you have to continue playing on as if he is still a threat against you...ie foul.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 08:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Grods rules

1. Don't whine.
2. See the funny side if my team is being decimated.
3. See the funny side if I decimate my opponents team.
4. Never use timeout button. Sometimes I give a warning or threat for excessive time taking but I never follow through. Anyway too much lag and dusconnections for it to be fair.
5. Don't kill all menz just for the sake of it (no t16 fouls or surfs).
6. Don't whine.
7. Don't stall by default particularly if the game is won either way or my opponent has a less competitive team (like goblins).
8. Never concede, never give up. Remind myself of rule 2.
9. Congratulate my opponent on their good play or win. No matter how much luck is a factor, the rest is made up by my opponent playing better than me.
10. Don't whine.

those are basically my unwritten rules too
except #5 in leagues when facing a top team Twisted Evil

Last edited by Roland on Sep 17, 2014 - 08:38; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 08:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Every rose has its thorn. Every night has a dawn. Every cowboy sings a sad sad song.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Meh, I would never timeout unless my opponent was being an intentional d-bag.
Badoek

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 08:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
Grod wrote:
Grods rules

1. Don't whine.
2. See the funny side if my team is being decimated.
3. See the funny side if I decimate my opponents team.
4. Never use timeout button. Sometimes I give a warning or threat for excessive time taking but I never follow through. Anyway too much lag and dusconnections for it to be fair.
5. Don't kill all menz just for the sake of it (no t16 fouls or surfs).
6. Don't whine.
7. Don't stall by default particularly if the game is won either way or my opponent has a less competitive team (like goblins).
8. Never concede, never give up. Remind myself of rule 2.
9. Congratulate my opponent on their good play or win. No matter how much luck is a factor, the rest is made up by my opponent playing better than me.
10. Don't whine.

those are basically my unwritten rules too
except #5 in leagues when facing a top team Twisted Evil

Agreed! Especially Khemri, got to foul those decaying or av7 bastards as much as possible.
Roland

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 08:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Badoek wrote:
Agreed! Especially Khemri, got to foul those decaying or av7 bastards as much as possible.

Well at least we've got no stat freaks yet Very Happy Wink
dorfeus

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 09:19 Reply with quote Back to top

My Goblins call every time out they can if I'm loosing and I'm loosing a lot. If Opponent has a real life issue and he tells me about it, I let my self slip from this principle.

My other teams let opponents generally take their time.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

It always confuses me that people use more than 2 minutes per turn. Going beyond 4 minutes for online play is just asking for a Time Out.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat wrote:

Sutherlands wrote:
You told him in advance that you would use the button...

Yeah - no, he didn't.

Not every coach reads every /chat by other coaches during their turn. In fact, if he's concentrating on his turn, there's no reason to expect him to read it until he is done.

+1

I'm not a fan of being timed out but if you issue a warning a turn before, it is accepted by me without any anger.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat wrote:

Sutherlands wrote:

Yeah - no, he didn't.

Not every coach reads every /chat by other coaches during their turn. In fact, if he's concentrating on his turn, there's no reason to expect him to read it until he is done.

You should never need to spend more than 4 minutes per turn. I don't care how complex the move is you're trying to make. You have 4 minutes to make it, keeping track of the time is your responsibility. And the opponent is allowed to hold you to that.

It's not your opponents fault if you can't complete your moves in time.
It's not your opponents fault if you go answer the phone without saying anything.
It's not your opponents fault if you caught fire and didn't let him know.

The End.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

There are no unwritten rules. Nobody is entitled to not being timed out (unless disconnected/afk), or to not being fouled.

There is, however, being nice. There are typically two approaches to being nice. There are the people who say, "Why should I?" And there are the people who say, "Why shouldn't I?" You have to decide for yourself into which category you fall.
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Smeat wrote:

Sutherlands wrote:

Yeah - no, he didn't.

You should never need to spend more than 4 minutes per turn. I don't care how complex the move is you're trying to make. You have 4 minutes to make it, keeping track of the time is your responsibility. And the opponent is allowed to hold you to that.

It's not your opponents fault if you go answer the phone without saying anything.

The End.

The good thing about threads like this is that it gives you an insight into which coaches you really don't want to play against.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Smeat wrote:

Sutherlands wrote:

Yeah - no, he didn't.

The End.

The good thing about threads like this is that it gives you an insight into which coaches you really don't want to play against.

Like you didn't know already? I'm fairly sure you made your mind up about that years ago Very Happy

I know I did Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
koadah wrote:
Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Smeat wrote:

Sutherlands wrote:

Yeah - no, he didn't.

The End.

Like you didn't know already? I'm fairly sure you made your mind up about that years ago Very Happy

I know I did Wink

Generally speaking. Wink

Jump to: