30 coaches online • Server time: 03:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HamilcarBarca

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2014 - 23:41 Reply with quote Back to top

So, within the ethos of Blood Bowl, what so Star Player Points represent? I realize that In reality they mean how close to a skill up player is; I'm talking about the Nuffle's reality. I assume they represent a combination of experience and popularity, but it isn't ever explicitly detailed in the rules (that I've read). Is this a correct deducement?

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2014 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2014 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

It is experience

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2014 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
It is experience

It can't be exclusively a representation of experience, look at the name: STAR player points. And the titles of the skill levels: experienced, veteran, emerging star, star, super star, legend. (Pg 26 Blood Bowl Competition Rules).

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2014 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

HamilcarBarca wrote:
Garion wrote:
It is experience

It can't be exclusively a representation of experience, look at the name: STAR player points. And the titles of the skill levels: experienced, veteran, emerging star, star, super star, legend. (Pg 26 Blood Bowl Competition Rules).

Do you need to know any more than that?

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2014 - 04:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Think of everything a player can do to earn spp, now think of it in the context of sports broadcasters using the history of a players career and a highlight reel of the things that player has done in order to earn those spp, its stuff they'd talk about during the match in order to hype up that player and their performance in the current match.

Its basically the accomplishments of that player and used in a context of fans who like to quote statistics and whatnot.

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Hey Xyon you need to change your sig son, I never said anything vaguely like that!
CW

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2014 - 06:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I have often wondered why the MVP is given to a random player as opposed to the player with the most star player points. Ties could be broken randomly.
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2014 - 06:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's because they want to give all players a chance to progress rather than for one player to get all the SPPs.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2014 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I think they are more than experience, they have a real fluff representation: They are the players statistics combined in a rating and then market value. His passes, his interceptions, the number of TDs he scored, the cas he caused and the most valued player awards he recieved.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2014 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

CW wrote:
I have often wondered why the MVP is given to a random player as opposed to the player with the most star player points. Ties could be broken randomly.

Rules dynamically it is obvious. From a fluff perspective the MVP probably reflects on actions that can't be simply summed up in statistics. I have tried to add explanations to why a player recieved MVP in some match reports. Not recently tho. But an interesting undertaking.

The fact that you can recieve an MVP without having ever played a minute on the pitch is probably the limit of what you can plausibly explain with fluff on a meta level, and probably that rule should be abolished for the same reason.

It is still possible to give fluff explanations if you try. "In half time he ran naked on the pitch and the security had to drag him off, That was the most entertaining event in the match for the spectators in this boring 0:0."
HamilcarBarca

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

The reason I ask is I'm thinking of proposing new spp bonuses to the tabletop league I am part of on the basis of more accurately representing this. So I wanted to make sure that the basis for gaining skills is both actions that would accrue experience and resonate with the hypothetical audience. Like gaining an extra spp point for kills, a bonus for a single player making so many successful die rolls in a turn, or a single player getting 3-4 KOs in a single drive.

Basically, I love the game, however I feel like the system for delivering spp is stingy. If a ball carrier makes a blitzing action where they make 2 successful dodges and frenzy having to use 2 GFIs to end up crowd surfing an opponent and scoring the winning touchdown at the same time, that player should be rewarded with more than 3 measly spp for the TD. Likewise, a KO is often as tactically effective and more frequent than an injury, and if a player manages to do it a number of times in a row, then that statistical anomaly should be appropriately rewarded...

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 03:18 Reply with quote Back to top

HamilcarBarca wrote:
The reason I ask is I'm thinking of proposing new spp bonuses to the tabletop league

I think in a tabletop environemnet where you play only very few games (like maybe 8 per year) it can make a lot of sense to speed up the SPP process.
The skilling rules are also designed to be simple, so if you enjoy more complexity nothing speaks against it.

For a places like fumbbl or any league that enjoys a vast number of games it probably doesn't make that much sense.
An interesting version would be also to only give new players faster access to SPP.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 03:33 Reply with quote Back to top

HamilcarBarca wrote:
The reason I ask is I'm thinking of proposing new spp bonuses to the tabletop league I am part of on the basis of more accurately representing this. So I wanted to make sure that the basis for gaining skills is both actions that would accrue experience and resonate with the hypothetical audience. Like gaining an extra spp point for kills, a bonus for a single player making so many successful die rolls in a turn, or a single player getting 3-4 KOs in a single drive.

I'd be very careful about this. Your examples favour developing killers. It would be all too easy to lose the balance.

It is an experience based system. The MVP is a system to give a player spp for 'pitch time'. This is to say, even if they do nothing 'spectacular' the rule of averages says they'll still progress and get better by putting in pitch time.

However as Wreckage stated, they can get an mvp for not putting in time at all. Possibly, watching the nuances of the game from the dug out also gives experience......
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I always thought of MVPs equalling experience due to the team management investing training into the popular (& hence lucrative) players. But yeah, there are a lot of ways to fluff it out. Whichever explanation works for you.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 08:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd keep it simple.

Allow a coach to nominate an extra MVP or two for e.g. exceptional performance or extra training.

Jump to: