44 coaches online • Server time: 17:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
I always thought of MVPs equalling experience due to the team management investing training into the popular (& hence lucrative) players. But yeah, there are a lot of ways to fluff it out. Whichever explanation works for you.

MVP is a term used in american sports, its basically the same as Man of the Match in the Uk.

The reason it is random in BB is to help teams develop more evenly, give a leg up to those tricky player to skill up like Tomb Guardians etc... If you assign it by the player that actually does the most you will pretty much always be giving MVP to the same player or two every game. best to just leave it be imo the rule is fine and works like it does for good reason, the best players get rewards from scoring and causing cas anyway.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose fluff wise, it could be given to a player who doesn't seem to have to have done much action, but could have been a big influence in terms of leadership skills, boosting morale to team-mates, coming up with a plan for the drive etc...

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

When playing TT with some friends ages ago, I replaced the MVP award by "experience over time": After each game, for each player that played a d6 is rolled. On a 1 nothing happens, on a 6 he always gets one SPP. On 2-5 it depends on how many of those experience points he already has. If the roll beats his current number, he gets 1 SPP, otherwise not.

This way I wanted to make sure all players have a chance to develop, speed up the process to their first skills (and thereby make for more interesting teams sooner) and make it more "realistic".

I just now realize it has it's balancing issues as well (some "first skills" are more important than others, for example Guard/MB for dwarves or Dodge for elves), but I still love it.

Some interesting explanations for the MVP award in this thread though. I usually see it as Wreckage. And I sometimes use to make fun of it in a players bio, if he is chosen MVP without having done anything (or being knocked out on t1 and never coming back). Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well that's getting into 2nd ed realms there. The reason they no longer do that, is the amount of time with booking keeping; this was a major turn off for players in 2nd ed. This has been something the BBRC also wished to avoid.

Of course, it's a better system if automated. The only problem is you're giving out less points than you would with a 5 point mvp. However that could be easily rectified.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

They had a system like that in the 2nd edition? Wow, and I thought it was my very own idea. Very Happy (I started playing briefly under 3rd edition, later moving to Lrb4.)

Edit:
Well, on a rookie or rookie-ish team (less than 5 games or so) of 11-12 players, you'll give out 8-9 "free" SPP every game. Only teams where almost all players are already at 4+ experience-based SPP the number will decrease drastically - and I don't think that's a bad thing. Plus, rookie players can catch up a little easier but at least getting their first skill in a reasonable amount of time.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

We choose 6 players and roll a d6 for MVP. Could be powergamed or influence team selection, but hasn't caused any problems in our league.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

You could give 3 - 4 spp's for an interception. 4 would make sens as its such a rare sight.
selfy_74

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

In our table top league we nominate 6 players for the mvp. Opponent rolls d6 to see which player gets it. This way it is a little more targeted and easier to skill the likes of nurgle warriors et al.

Selfy_74: Verified Stunty Leeg Master

xnoelx

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2014 - 01:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

MVP is a term used in american sports, its basically the same as Man of the Match in the Uk.

The reason it is random in BB is to help teams develop more evenly, give a leg up to those tricky player to skill up like Tomb Guardians etc... If you assign it by the player that actually does the most you will pretty much always be giving MVP to the same player or two every game. best to just leave it be imo the rule is fine and works like it does for good reason, the best players get rewards from scoring and causing cas anyway.

Yeah, I know what an MVP is. And I get the mechanics behind it. But we're talking purely in-universe here, wherethe MVP is chosen by the fans, so he's clearly popular with them, and likely to attract a bigger crowd, hence more cash for the team owners. Management are going to recognize that, and so maybe that player gets a little more training, an extra session with the physio so he is less likely to get injured, a bigger pair of knucledusters, boots that fit, etc...

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2014 - 03:29 Reply with quote Back to top

It's done in a showdown poker tourney at the end of the game - winner gets special training that week. Dead players get their hands dealt too (save management some cash).

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Vesikannu

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2014 - 08:15 Reply with quote Back to top

mr-maverick wrote:
I suppose fluff wise, it could be given to a player who doesn't seem to have to have done much action, but could have been a big influence in terms of leadership skills, boosting morale to team-mates, coming up with a plan for the drive etc...

One of my recent MVPs went to a zombie who was killed on the LoS on turn 1. Fluff that. Razz

I like selfy's method, keeps some randomness in it but prevents you from getting totally shafted. MVPs going to dead players or mercs is stupid.
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2014 - 08:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Took one for the team Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2014 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

He got the fans intrested and the atmosphere got going for the whole match. After that, there was a real buzz in the stands. Thanks to him me and the wives and the mutants had a blast of a time.

Thank you turn 1 zombie.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2014 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

The rules actually list a houserule where coaches may choose the MVP. Would be a huge difference balance-wise. A bit too much, if you ask me; I kind of like the win/build tradeoff of having to score with BoBs, CWs, NWs and Sauri to skill them. The idea that I'd never have a skink MVP again would be really weird. Suddenly everyone would be able to build their lizardmen right. =)

Many TT leagues disallow the MVP from falling on mercs/deads/retiredafterperms/stars. I would be in favor of this. Having to use mercs and stars is already generally a bad thing, as is having your players killed or retired. The MVP insult to injury is really unnecessary imo.

My personal favorite is that before rolling the MVP and winnings, the coach of the winning team may choose which he would like to be allowed to reroll.
cthol

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2014 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I did a league once where the MVP was split in two. Each coach picked one guy on his own team and one on the other team, each player got 3spp. The idea was you could target development on one of your players and could give the other MVP to a player that you felt made your life hell during the game. A variation we tried was having spp totals secret, so that you couldn't deliberately not give the MVP to a particular player to stop him skilling up: you wouldn't know who was near a skill. Not enough data to really see how it went though , but it was interesting.
 Jump to: