19 coaches online • Server time: 06:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The_Great_Gobbo

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2014 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Eezy way ter sort dis, get rid o aktiv listz! Az in der end yew iz eivver der best evva or da furst o da loozerz.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2014 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
active means living, all time means best ever including dead. I really dont see the problem.

It is a case of people wanting to know who is the best right now.

Yes, yes. Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson etc but they ain't active.

People want to know about teams/players that they might actually run into.

For me, teams that only play once every two years don't count.

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 00:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
active means living, all time means best ever including dead. I really dont see the problem.

Yeah, we understand your take, but I think if you are honestly saying you 'really dont see the problem' you're just not listening.

There's no point in differentiating 'Active' and 'All-Time' if the former includes players who haven't taken to the pitch in years and will likely not play in the foreseeable future, as these players may as well be dead. In many cases, there's a greater chance of an active coach using a Scroll on a dead player than any of these 'living' players returning, so how much sense does this distinction make?

I'd politely wager a sum that if Christer could have snapped his fingers at the start and made it something more like the_Sage describes, he would have, but didn't particularly want to invest the time at the moment.
Whether or not this is currently a worthy use of anyone's time is (I suppose) what we're ruminating about right now...
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
active means living

According to thesaurus...well actually is does Razz

But it also means playing some Nuffle damn games and not just sitting on ones posterior for freaking eternity! Evil or Very Mad

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Still, I suppose that many of my teams are inactive by my own definition, simply from having to compete with all my other teams for my time (and that of my opponent), even if they do go on gamefinder. =)

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

At least one of mine hasn't played in 5 years. But like Mike Tyson I suppose they could still play again. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron gets to the heart of it. When a team drops off the face of the earth in terms of being played, they are categorically identical to retired teams. I know it's kind of pushy to say "hey, if you haven't played in X amount of time, you're going to only be shown on the all-time table". We can argue back and forth about what arbitrary point in time is reasonable, but at this point in time, the active lists aren't nearly as useful in measuring your players to their peers and its nearly a redundant list to all-time at certain positions despite the years gone bye.

I understand that nothing that is suggested that requires a lot of work is usually implemented because of stretched programming resources but that doesn't mean they are bad ideas or that the status quo is perfunctory. I am pleased that I'm not the only one who thinks this would be a better way to approach it.
T3mpano

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm only a newcomer and I'll be damned if I ever enter any top anything with any of my players (they just die too fast!).

However, the difference between dead/alive (all time/active)seems reasonable.

Maybe a some coach is sitting comfortably in his castle sipping cognac and basking on his top achievements...with an open eye in case he has to bring back his team to the pitch, be it in 1 week or 10 years...

Wanna make it to a top position? Beat the record Smile
Tarabaralla

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Garion wrote:

It is a case of people wanting to know who is the best right now.

Yes, yes. Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson etc but they ain't active.

People want to know about teams/players that they might actually run into.

For me, teams that only play once every two years don't count.

I'm with Garion.
Real people get old, BB players don't, this is the main bug in your reasoning.

I like to see legendary performers on the list, not just the "hotness of the month".

In fluff, if a player managed to survive his career and reach such a legendary record, he's probably playing less because he already has all he needs, wasting all his goods in women and fungi beer. Whenever he'll fall short of golden pieces again, he'll come back!
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
At least one of mine hasn't played in 5 years. But like Mike Tyson I suppose they could still play again. Very Happy

George Forman came out of retirement to fight again at the age of 40+

retirement being the key word here. Those teams/players aren't retired.

T3mpano wrote:
I'm only a newcomer and I'll be damned if I ever enter any top anything with any of my players (they just die too fast!).

Maybe a some coach is sitting comfortably in his castle sipping cognac and basking on his top achievements...with an open eye in case he has to bring back his team to the pitch, be it in 1 week or 10 years...

exactly this ^

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Tarabaralla wrote:

I like to see legendary performers on the list, not just the "hotness of the month".

Maybe this is a mid-road solution: do a "did you know" banner/line with the "most cas in October".

Or here's an idea for you design/IT geeks: how about a monthly newsletter/blog with the top category of the month?

Records are records, but maybe putting the spotlight on monthly performances...
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Koadah's scripts should be able to do this, I think?

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Tarabaralla wrote:

Umm... That is why you have "all time" lists.

Garion wrote:
Koadah's scripts should be able to do this, I think?

My stuff is team focused. I did look at taking the player data to but never finished it. I won't be doing it now. Wink

If you only want a months data that shouldn't be too bad for someone to do. But for all time/greatest/legends etc that is a lot of grinding unless Christer builds an API for it.

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
koadah wrote:

George Forman came out of retirement to fight again at the age of 40+

retirement being the key word here. Those teams/players aren't retired.

T3mpano wrote:

exactly this ^

Effectively they are.

Basically, there is no logic to this argument. It is purely about people wanting different things for different reasons.

I just don't know why you would want an 'active' list full of players that are not 'active'. Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Because they survived!
It's not a minor achievement Very Happy
 Jump to: