48 coaches online • Server time: 19:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HamilcarBarca

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all. The next match in my TT League is against a rookie Orc team and my team has Deathroller, a dodge runner and a MB slayer so he'll have 230 inducements to play with and I'm worried about the havoc he could reek with a wizard.

As a dwarf my play style essentially revolves around bashing and caging and caging and bashing. While a Wizzy wouldn't throw my bashing game off a well placed and poorly timed fireball with a few lucky rolls could really screw the pooch. Any advice?

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Not to worry about the wizard at all...just do what you do.

Plus

It is a orc team...even if he should blow up the ball carrier it is not like they are going to swoop in, pick up the ball in a TZ, dodge out, 2 XGFI, long bomb to the guy down the pitch. Like those stupid elves do all the time.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Just give the ball to the deathroller they are immune to the effects of wizards.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say the worst thing to do would be to let it affect your game too much. Having said that, make sure your safe if you are stalling. If you have a spare runner keep him near the ball carrier to pick up if he gets bolted.
HamilcarBarca

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Deathrollers have NoHands so they can't carry the ball...

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

i'd be more worried about the use of a lightning bolt to take out the player as gets towards the end zone than i would the fireball, tbh
i wouldnt suggest making quite such a tight cage as u may do normally, but other than that there isnt a lot u can do to defend against it

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

HamilcarBarca wrote:

He was joking Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

loose cage, second runner 2 squarrs behind at back of cage, look to score in t6 so you can recovery if he wizzes you in t6, etc

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

How do you form a "loose" cage that isn't completely vulnerable? I can't visualize it. I guess I could just screen possible threats...

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer mega bunker over loose cage or side line cage or staggered cage or zone caging.

I think you got some homework to get on HamilcarBarca.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the advice! You're right Pain, I've got some books (and other stuff) that need hitting...

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
HamilcarBarca wrote:

He was joking Smile

Was I?

I just figured that in table top you can 'get away' with a lot more than you can get away with at FUMBBL

Twisted Evil
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

A loose cage can be like an x, but with 2 players in the middle. Or with an empty square. Anything wider than an x cage that doesn't give up a blitz without dodging, really.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

HamilcarBarca wrote:
How do you form a "loose" cage that isn't completely vulnerable? I can't visualize it. I guess I could just screen possible threats...

this, good sir, is why one takes a wizard.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have a real dorf team, but here is a match where my DE played some orcs where we *both* had wizards. I had big time luck on my side against a top coach, and managed to win it, but look at how excellently he positions his anti-wizard defenses. Double layers, loose cages, no good time to use a wizard. I felt I also played the anti-wizard defense well, but it's much easier to do with fast moving elves than slow moving orcs and dwarves.

https://fumbbl.com/p/match?op=view&id=3549491

In a nutshell, playing against a wizard means deciding each turn to either give your opponent NO good shot to use a wizard (loose position no clear targets, bad chance to pick it back up for them), or to give them a chance that you think they might take but that you feel you can recover from (perhaps a fireball where they have to get 3 certain players down to get the ball or a chance to get the ball but they will have a major throw to make to get it to safety. You really *want* to bait the wizard out early because it can ruin your game for them to have it (we both kept ours into the second half), but you also want them to use it early and then be able to recover the ball yourself, ideally. Very Happy

For an example of such a risk, but probably not a good one, here I tried to bait the wizard with my slann a little too much (about 48% to stun me IIRC, but if I made the 52% not stunned I could jump back up and get the ball to safety... but I failed):

https://fumbbl.com/p/match?op=view&id=3608812

I really was trying to get him to use the wizard, but I should have kept another frog back because his chance to use the wizard successfully was too great (which he did).

Jump to: