36 coaches online • Server time: 09:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How do you read diving tackle?
No matter what the dodger rolls, DT should be prone
38%
 38%  [ 13 ]
Only if the dodger is brought down, DT should be prone
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Only if the dodger is brought down, DT should be prone, but if RR/dodge allows the dodger to succeed, DT is still prone
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Only if the dodger is brought down because of the -2, DT should be prone
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Only if the dodger is brought down because of the -2, DT should be prone, but if RR/dodge allows the dodger to succeed, DT is still prone
38%
 38%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 34

DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2014 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

Now, if the DT is allowed to stay on his feet if the RR succeeds, he has just gotten the opponents RR at no actual cost to his positioning. Sounds fair? I think not Smile

Of course it does. DT is an underpowered skill that is rarely used. What harm would strengthening it be? Would SF/DT/T become the new Clawpomb? Unlikely.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2014 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Fluffwise, it also wouldn't make any sense for a player to use Diving Tackle and not have dived, whether he was successful in tackling his opponent to the ground or not.

Of course it would. With a reroll you are both diving and not diving at the same time. How does that work fluff wise? If he fails both time due to the -2 have you dived twice? Of course not - you should assume the second roll is the action.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2014 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

No. The Dodge is rerolled. The dive to tackle the dodgee happens regardless. The 2nd roll is the action. But it's the dodge action, with a penalty caused by you diving, which has already happened.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2014 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay I will admit defeat on this one. I still think there is no issue from a fluff perspective as I view a reroll as "trying something again" but I concede my logic was flawed.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Endzone

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2014 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

At risk of this thread ending in a dignified death I would like to point out that there is a precedent for skills or skill mechanics not really following fluff / logic e.g.:

Intercept roll made before pass roll (JJ said - and I paraphrase - the mechanic works better this way - just think of it as a series of rolls that lead to an outcome rather than worrying about the logical series of events)

Piling on decision after the armour / injury rolls (Really? I smash you to the floor and wait to consider whether I have injured you sufficiently before piling on? More likely I drive you into the ground in one fluid, crushing action!)

Claw - deadly talons or a prehensile claw which strike fear into Treemen, Ogres and Dwarves, but have no effect on goblins, halflings or lightly armoured elves!! (I note the skill or an equivalent is required however to prevent AV9 dominance)

Don't even get me started on the chain push mechanic, which is ludicrous from a logic or fluff perspective (Zug to Griff: "Don't worry that you're not quick enough to score in the few seconds we have left after the drive restarts because I'll block a guy and choose for him to be pushed into a guy who will be pushed into a guy who will be pushed into you. Then Ziggi will do the same, and then Rittor and you'll be away! Just remember not to start running when the ref first blows his whistle to give time for us to shunt you forward, thus increasing your net speed.") However the chain push mechanic is one of the most fun and tactically interesting things in the whole game!
Replikant

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

Dodge roll is made.
Coach decides to use DT since it will bring his opponent down.
Dodger rerolls to beat the DT score.

Sorry for the thread-necromancy, but I am still not entirely sure about the mechanics.
Lets assume Coach A declares a dodge and Coach B has the option to DT with one or more players.

The way I understand the rules (and also Mr_Foulscumms post) is:
If a diving tackle is declared for the first roll by Coach B and Coach A then uses a reroll for the dodge roll, the second roll is also modified with the -2 DT-modifier.
Is this correct?

The rules state that Diving Tackle may be used on a rerolled dodge if not declared for use on the first Dodge roll.
This clarification is in the rules to give Coach B the option to declare DT on a dodge reroll, I assume? It could also be interpreted in a way that you can apply the DT-modifier either to the first roll, or to the reroll but not to both.
Stimme

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

It's correct. The -2 also applies to the rerolled dodge.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2014 - 06:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Replikant wrote:
Sorry for the thread-necromancy...

Don't be - makes much more sense to post as a continuation here than have a clarification in a diff thread on the identical topic.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
 Jump to: