15 coaches online • Server time: 07:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Stimme

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2014 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

In addition to what was said:

Consider kicking to your opponent if you have the choice. He might blow the wizard out in an attempt to score or to prevent you from scoring a defensive touchdown, in case you got the ball off his hands.

And stay away from the sideline with your ball carrier. If he uses the wizard, the ball might bounce off the pitch.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2014 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

HamilcarBarca wrote:
How do you form a "loose" cage that isn't completely vulnerable? I can't visualize it. I guess I could just screen possible threats...

A normal cage is a nice, tight 3x3 box. But a 4x4 box still covers all the TZ's. (But is more vulnerable to Dodges/Break Tackle!)

One more player screening beyond (ballcarrier + 5) can make it even looser.

The idea is never to present him with more than 3 players in a 3x3 blast zone that will tempt a fireball.

pythrr wrote:
loose cage, second runner 2 squarrs behind at back of cage, look to score in t6 so you can recovery if he wizzes you in t6, etc

And don't have your #1 ballcarrier w/ the ball. When that Lightning Bolt comes down, you want some no-skill schmuck to take that hit, NOT your +Ag Sure Hands two-doubles rock star. He's the one that comes in to recover and continue the drive.

So bite the bullet, practice ball security and let some rookie pick it up initially - hell, he might even score. Wink

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Grod

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2014 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

The good news? Orcs are just as slow as Dwarves, which means he will have a hard time capitalising on a wizard. Try generally to move forwards with your outer layer dwarves 2 squares apart. That is, in offense, set up elf style screens that limit movement. This prevents multiple players being taken out by a wizard but is also something you can use generally to screw with your opponents ability to reposition his defence (wizard or not).

Oscar Wilde
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2014 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

bottomline: don't stall. force him to use the wizard early. then its 150k gone and you have the advantage from that point on.

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2014 - 02:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually get my oppo to pull the trigger early; the thing is logically that does not make sense. From a basic perspective you give him the choice, so he can always decline that opportunity. Thus you give him something he does not have, so he is better off, and at the same time he does not have to "pull the trigger". Hence this is completely dependent on your opponent making a mistake, something he logically should not do. So, when you get down to it you´re depending on bad oppos or major tournament nerves (yes, there is LOTs of bad play in majors).
Dominik

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2014 - 05:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
bottomline: don't stall. force him to use the wizard early. then its 150k gone and you have the advantage from that point on.

Usually that is what I hope when I hired a wizard: To make my opponent feel has has to avoid stalling at all and score quick so I get basically a second offence drive in a game.
licker

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2014 - 06:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
Arktoris wrote:

Usually that is what I hope when I hired a wizard: To make my opponent feel has has to avoid stalling at all and score quick so I get basically a second offence drive in a game.

Except that he has a Deathroller...
Dominik

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2014 - 06:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Dwarves are lost against a wizard anyway and if you stop their offence while they are using a Deathroller, you are definitely very close to a td in the second half.
HamilcarBarca

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2014 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat wrote:
HamilcarBarca wrote:
How do you form a "loose" cage that isn't completely vulnerable? I can't visualize it. I guess I could just screen possible threats...

A normal cage is a nice, tight 3x3 box. But a 4x4 box still covers all the TZ's. (But is more vulnerable to Dodges/Break Tackle!)

One more player screening beyond (ballcarrier + 5) can make it even looser.

The idea is never to present him with more than 3 players in a 3x3 blast zone that will tempt a fireball.

so something like this?:
X-X-X
- - - - -
X-C-X
- - - - -
X-X-X

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2014 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Not necessarily. That needs a lot of players. More like:
X--X
-Ba-
-aa-
X--X

Xs are the cage, B is the ballcarrier, and you can have someone at any of the a spots, though it isn't strictly necessary.

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2014 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing I have seen a few good coaches do...

Set up a normal cage early, but just a bit far from the opposition to truly capitalise. The 5 man cage is so tempting that many will fireball. But with it only just in range, the chance of the opposition getting the ball and making off with it is slim.

Risk and reward.
Dominik

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2014 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The earlier you can stop their offence, the better. So if they make a cage deep in their half, that is even better as you can minimize their movement way too far away from the scoring zone.
 Jump to: