21 coaches online • Server time: 02:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which is the best Christmas film ever?
Jingle all the way
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Its a wonderful life
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Elf
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Santa Clause the movie
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Nightmare Before Christmas
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
Scrouged
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Muppets Christmas Carol
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Die Hard
50%
 50%  [ 46 ]
Leathal Weapon
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 92

Grod

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 07:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Is stand firm underrated? Yes - judging by how rare it is compared to how useful it is. What makes sidestep and stand firm so damned useful is you maintain contact with an opponent when your player is blocked but not knocked over. This means you get to block back in your own turn even if your opponent doesn't follow up.

However I prefer sidestep over stand firm for sure. Yes there are a few situations where stand firm is better than sidestep, but in general its not even close. Side step players get hit less often because of fears over where they might end up. You have nothing to lose hitting a stand firm player.

Oscar Wilde
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 07:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Die Hard is awesome but how can you leave out Gremlins?!!!!!

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
I think Thick Skull on players is more underrated than SF

Are you kidding me? Stand Firm is SO much better than Thick Skull...cripes, Not. Even. Close.

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Die Hard is awesome but how can you leave out Gremlins?!!!!!

Yes good point forgot about that completely. Though I was half asleep when I posted hence all the typos.

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 09:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Fair does. This year I'm gonna watch Santa's Slay starring Bill Goldberg haha.

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 09:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Isn't Kick the usual subject of threads like these? Wink

Stand Firm is underrated. But I'm not sure by how much, really. It strikes me as a really good 'unique starter' skill; like a NOS or a Diving Catch that you might one day actually select in a player that doesn't start with it. Do any of the Secret League teams have a Stand Firm gimmick?

someone thought of it before Smile
https://fumbbl.com/p/blog&c=spinball&id=10810
Roland

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
wasn't there a box dorf team tha all had SF?

ah, here it is:
https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=739609
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Goo is right. My vote is probably for MB as the most underrated skill. Sure most people think it's good but it's really really good!

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing with stand firm is that strength access gives you other skills that a basher might find useful (like mb/guard/po). Then consider that blockers don't often get really high spp. Stand firm is nice, but nicer than guard or mighty blow?

The thing with sidestep is that agility access gives you... dodge? If you didn't start with it anyway?

So basically stand firm is a nice skill to have if you start with it but for the role you generally have more appealing choices.
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Obviously guard and mb come first but 3rd skill stand firm is fine. I don't see it like NOS or diving catch which suck and I would never take in a million years. Stand firm is a great skill that causes teams serious problems.

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Before Block, Tackle, Claw, PO? Refuse Stats or Doubles for it?
I do think it's a good skill and annoying on Flesh Golems but it's really hard to take on a lot of players.

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Well most blitzers start with block so I wasn't counting that. Tackle sure you want a couple of tackle first but in orc or human teams you have 4 blitzers so you can mix your order up a bit.

And claw well yeah but I wasn't really talking about cpomb teams here

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I hope it was clear I think SF is a better skill than NOS! But you know what I mean, it would be quite a nice starter gimmick. I like (for instance) Diving Catch on Slann, and even use it sometimes, but I'm not about to begin selecting it anywhere else.

I do really like gimmick starter skills. I've not spent enough time studying SL rosters yet, but I'm hoping for some fun there. Smile
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigmar1 wrote:
keggiemckill wrote:
I think Thick Skull on players is more underrated than SF

Are you kidding me? Stand Firm is SO much better than Thick Skull...cripes, Not. Even. Close.

I think this is a derivative from me playing a majority of Box. To keep a player on the field is very valuable in my opinion. Even that one number that Thickskull provides aid to, becomes a winner in a lot of up close and uncomfortable situations.
Standfirm is great, but it isn't going to help vs a CPOMB. If he gets knocked off the field there is no "gumming up the works to be had." All it does is prevent a push back. I think Fend is more valuable, and so is Sidestep.

I will say that taking Stand firm on one of my league (Orc) Goblins has paid ten fold over its price when hit in open field. The Goblin acts as my Catcher/ TD scorer.
https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=10094534

Jeffro
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2014 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

"Stand Firm is better than Thick Skull" and "Thick skull is more underrated than Stand Firm" can both be true statements.