29 coaches online • Server time: 09:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Lorebass wrote:
Support tickets and bug reports are the way to go. This is a good heads up to make sure coaches who do pay in for extra inducements are aware of this.

That sounds correct. But I'll have to concede that posting this in a forum that has the words Bug Reports in the title can't be a horrible place to post it either.

This is really from a bygone era, and maybe defunct. Whomever was to police this, probably doesn't anymore.

Bugreporting and new features have moved on as has the client.

Overhamsteren wrote:
koadah wrote:
I suppose people want to indicate what they think the priority of the work is. Considering other work that might already be on the list.

Sure but it's always the same 1-2 people who rush to these threads to complain:

"this is a waste of Crister's precious time, he already has the assignment that I care about, and you should feel ashamed for suggesting anything else!!!"

again and again and again....

Ok we get it, what about shutting up and just letting Crister and Kalimar decide what they want to spend their time on.

Obviously this is me, however I don't do that well I did once or twice to get the idea over, but not for a long long time.

I just don't like the idea. It's kind of like the automove function, I didn't like that being added. I see it as dumbing down the game, and concentrating on key areas. However saying that, I find it hard playing without the automove feature.

I don't feel that strongly. I made a face and got dragged in. So be it.
Christer

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 10:53
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I think this is a reasonable request for what it's worth.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

I just don't like the idea. It's kind of like the automove function, I didn't like that being added. I see it as dumbing down the game, and concentrating on key areas. However saying that, I find it hard playing without the automove feature.

Are you against making the game more accessible, easier to use and less prone to avoidable mistakes?

Is it not easy enough to beat rookies as it?

I don't see the appeal of games decided by misclicks, unnoticed skills/tackle zones etc.

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

FYI this is already in the bugs list for Kalimar, its lower priority than many though.

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

There should be also an option in the game to cancel a performed action in the case of obvious misclicks like to choose skull on a 2db block with the result skull/pow or the +5 dodge with a Bull Centaur instead of the 2+ with Break Tackle.
A coach should be able to "ask" once per game to reload the sequence before the misclick, only in case no further action has been done yet, and if the opposing coach agrees the unlucky coach gets the chance to point to the correct direction in case of a Dodge for example.

I've done many misclicks, some hurt, some don't, but once I chose skull on a 2db skull/pow, it killed my AG4 MB Dwarf Blitzer and it left my ball carrier wide open, I lost the League Final therefore.
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

god no. I mean... I hate misslcicks, I really really hate them, but having a pop up for every action made in the game would be truly awful. that would actually stop me playing the game, some people are painfully slow at this game already but with pop ups too..... Just no. Be more careful. Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't mean it that way. You made a misclick, you select manually in the options or somewhere else to ask for a correction, then the opponent gets a popup and can either accept or deny. Once you've done so, there is no longer this option available for a game.
Remember:
FUMBBL should be as close as possible to the tabeltop experience. In TT, there are no misclicks!

In my opinion my idea is very useful to get closer to this goal.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
There should be also an option in the game to cancel a performed action in the case of obvious misclicks like to choose skull on a 2db block with the result skull/pow or the +5 dodge with a Bull Centaur instead of the 2+ with Break Tackle.
A coach should be able to "ask" once per game to reload the sequence before the misclick, only in case no further action has been done yet, and if the opposing coach agrees the unlucky coach gets the chance to point to the correct direction in case of a Dodge for example.

I've done many misclicks, some hurt, some don't, but once I chose skull on a 2db skull/pow, it killed my AG4 MB Dwarf Blitzer and it left my ball carrier wide open, I lost the League Final therefore.

NO there should not be. I can smell the abuse of this already.

misclicks are misclicks.

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Mislicks are unwanted side-effects of online Blood Bowl. It is not comparable to other computer games which cannot be played in the real world, eg. real time strategy or mmorpgs where a misclick displays your bad mouse technique.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

Are you against making the game more accessible, easier to use and less prone to avoidable mistakes?

Is it not easy enough to beat rookies as it?

I don't see the appeal of games decided by misclicks, unnoticed skills/tackle zones etc.

A lot of these are part of the game. Certainly unnoticed skills, for sure. I'd hate for a 'warning you are trying to dodge out of a dt zone' style warning.

As it is, too many coaches are winning games through team development. If you want to wave a stick at something, wave it there.

This one however is grey, as it's an online incident. For me, I think how the system is set up is fine, I'd rather not see the change, I think the thread was born from some frustration.

That's my opinion, I've said I'm not overly fussed if it was implemented. I'm not quite sure why I'm being lambasted for it.
Dominik

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no warning whatsoever, there should be none. If you made a misclick and you notice it before you do any more action (including to move any square more), you can manually select the option. This does not slow the game and I bet it makes the game even faster since it is not that devastating anymore to click fast.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

This just cannot be done in the way that you are suggesting. MANY actions that would be misclicks (eg, selecting the skull instead of the pow) have follow up dice that are rolled. If you misclick and fail a dodge then you also get an armor roll. Was it a misclick that you want to undo? For some players that would depend on if their player died or not... This is just not going to happen, for good reason.

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The 2 misclicks that hamper me regularly are using a reroll accidentally and moving instead of blitzing. I'd like to see more room for error in these situations.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

dom, i dunno, what you're asking for sounds to me like a pretty major thing coding wise...

the replayer suggests there is some sort of recording of the game steps that could be used but then you'd have to program like every single case for the failsave to trigger and it would be all pretty subjective.. on the other side you'd have to determine accurately how far the client should move back...

There is a fine line between making the game more accessible and letting people still think for themselves.

I think that line is drawn when it comes to undoing dice based ingame actions.
I'm cool with any number of failsaves pregame, postgame and pretty much anywhere...
I'd be also cool with an undo last move option..

..more isn't really reasonable..
licker

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

The client and the GUI for it are already top notch in my opinion. Yes there are some instances where you make an honest misclick, but I've found in my personal experience that most of my mistakes are due to haste or inattention more than they are due to confusion or issues with the client.

What would help most for me is a better labeling system to make sure I don't miss important skills on players. However, the labeling which exists is good enough, again, it's an issue of taking the time during set up to mark all players appropriately. The new icons in the new client have given me a bit of pause at times because I'm not used to them yet, but even that is getting better.

The tools are in place, it's really just an issue of getting used to them, and reminding yourself that if you rush, you will make mistakes.
 Jump to: