25 coaches online • Server time: 08:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Tripleskull wrote:
Also overtime rules are a big issue in itself. Are there good overtime rules options on fumbbl?

No, just the regular one with sudden death.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing about Swiss is, with the NAF rankings, even if you lose round 1, you are still playing for Ranking points. And if you have lost game 1 (which could have been down to an unlucky draw) you 'may' have an easier opponent in round 2 to compensate.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Tripleskull wrote:

Making a fumbbl world cup should surely be done with nine rounds and teams of six players if you ask me. Smile

Sign. Me. Up. In fact I've been bugging PG about this kind of idea on IRC since the day after the round 1 draw. Wink

As for OT options, I think OT is new coin flip, one 8 turn half, first score wins. If tied after 8 full turns then it's 1d6 + RR shootout. I don't know of any other options, but maybe there are some. It would be quite nice, for example to have the option to have the person who lost the original toss win the toss in OT. Or perhaps the person who kicks first gets the ball first in OT, as another option.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually with Swiss, a draw in game 1 could give you the easiest run to a final and still win the tourney!

Oscar Wilde
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I mean, the average result for a game on the site is about 40% Team A wins, 40% Team B wins, 20% draw, right? So in a Swiss format where all x-0-0 teams play other x-0-0 teams, we started with 254 teams x0.4 = 101.6 x0.4 = 40.64 * 0.4 = 16.256 * 0.4 = 6.5024 * 0.4 = 2.6.

So fluctuations are possible depending on the quantity of draws, but the most likely result for a tournament this size is 2 or 3 teams with 10 points from 5 games. Fingers crossed it's 2 and all this is needless worry, but it does seem as though letting three players play a round robin (with potential tiebreaker games) isn't unworkable. If you're top-3, you'll make the time. Same if there are 4, and you set up a bracket. And if there's 1, there's your winner. I don't think 5 is likely. I could be wrong.

I mean, I understand the rules for this tournament are already the rules for this tournament. I'm just saying in the future.

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:
Tripleskull wrote:

Making a fumbbl world cup should surely be done with nine rounds and teams of six players if you ask me. Smile

Sign. Me. Up. In fact I've been bugging PG about this kind of idea on IRC since the day after the round 1 draw. Wink

As for OT options, I think OT is new coin flip, one 8 turn half, first score wins. If tied after 8 full turns then it's 1d6 + RR shootout. I don't know of any other options, but maybe there are some. It would be quite nice, for example to have the option to have the person who lost the original toss win the toss in OT. Or perhaps the person who kicks first gets the ball first in OT, as another option.

I like Plasmoids OT rules:
Team A gets a four turn drive. If they score they win. If they don't they lose. If I remember correctly.
But then again. I am a Plasmoid fan boy. Smile
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Now we're through the weekend, the time has come to begin copying me in on PM threads should you have an unresponsive opponent or bad scheduling issues. More information = better!

Let's keep up the good work and get 'em played! Smile
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 23:23
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Can serial losers (like me Very Happy ) expect to get progressively easier games (like in TT tournies?), or will we find ourselves knee-deep in forfeiters who may be very very good players?

I think a -1 penalty may be more appropriate, as then they won't be influencing the battle to avoid the wooden spoon for more than one round
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Swiss means you are much more likely to get games at your level as the event progresses. But there is always a chance you'll hit a 'very very good player' who has just a bit of a bad run, no need for him to have forfeited. That said, only one forfeit out of 254 coaches so far.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Hope the "most TD" cape is fitting Oenarlod well - will he hold on to it after just 1 TD in round 2? Slacker...

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Great to see so many games played tonight and to be copied on PMs where there have been teething problems.

3 days to go, keep up the good work!
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2015 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

With 48 hours to go, things are looking good.

Keep it up, guys! Hope everyone left is scheduled in and looking forward to their game. Smile
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2015 - 22:21
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

So, where can i find actual whole written rules for swiss-type tourneys? I understand That I wind up playing coaches closer to my level eventually but no why.
m0gw41

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2015 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2015 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

There's also the section on Swiss at the bottom of this page, specifically the last paragraph but one: "The benefits of the Swiss system is that it lets everyone play the same number of games and all games should (at least theoretically) become more even as you progress through the rounds."