61 coaches online • Server time: 22:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which first skill for a dark elf blitzer, if you can't pick dodge?
Strip ball
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Frenzy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tackle
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Jump up
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Side step
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
Leap
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Diving tackle
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Other skill or pie (explain below)!
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

kilinrax

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2015 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing a TT league, with a house rule that no two players in the same position can have the same set of skills.

Two of my blitzers have skilled up in the second game. No doubles. The first getting dodge is a no brainer, but what to give the second?

Frenzy has been suggested, but my instinct is strip ball.

Match schedule is (if that affects choice): chaos dwarves, nurgle, chaos pact, necromantic, lizardmen, pro elves, dwarves.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2015 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

You said 'same set of skills'. Can he get Dodge later? Or is Dodge taken by the other guy and that's it now?
kilinrax

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2015 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

He can get dodge at 16 spp, sure. Same combination of skills, not same skills!

It's a great house rule, I really like it. Reduces the predictability of blanket clawpomb or one turners.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2015 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

In that case, looking at the games you have coming, Side Step seems best.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2015 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

tackle is something you will need, eventually. It seems a solid choice to me, unless there's no dodgers in your league.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2015 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

you will need tackle eventually, but if you face your next opponents in the order of the list you provided, you will probably not need it in the next games.
Frenzy is ok, but usually it becomes a liability if you have more than one or two...so if you use witchelfs, I wouldn't take frenzy on a DE blocker.

I would go with SideStep to annoy my opponents, set up surfs, harass the ballcarrier etc.

Outsider vote for Strip Ball...I often find that either my Strip Baller is in a bad situation for a blitz (so he would need ag5+ or leap) or I get a 2d with tackle anyway, so Strip Ball is not really needed. But it can change games...
Outsider vote 2 to Dauntless. I never tried it, but I have seen good coaches take it early on elfentype Blitzer to deal with str 4+ player on the LoS and on cage corners.
NerdBird

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2015 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

You need tackle by the time you get to Necro. It probably will not be handy in the next two though. But those teams will most likely not have sure hands either. In that respect, I would go Strip Ball.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2015 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

My hesitation with side step before dodge is that even with dodge - when I've played woodies and had it on my wardancer - I've often faced uncomfortable decisions between keeping my side-stepper on the ball carrier and getting him blocked by the entire cage in succession (and inevitably ending up stunned or worse), or side stepping him away. Maybe I'm using it wrong, but I've found much better use of it on the LoS.

Tackle is great but doesn't feel like it would get much use over my next few games.

Dauntless is an interesting choice! My instinct says that it's better for either a ST2 catcher or later in the player's development, when he's almost certainly not going to get +ST (which would make it largely redundant).
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2015 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

tackle or sidestep.

Interesting rule. Does that mean you can't take dodge on the third player, even if the first already has 16 SPPs? That would really suck on lineman-heavy teams. You have a beastman with block, one with wrestle, one with Mb, one with guard, and then you skill 2 or 3 more...
kilinrax

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2015 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

If the first blitzer to take dodge has earned 16 spp / a second skill, before the third/fourth blitzer gets his first skill / 6 spp, then the third/fourth blitzer can take dodge as his first skill. Otherwise no, he has to take a different one from the first two blitzers.

We haven't played it enough to know what effects it has long term. I'd imagine you're right, lineman-heavy/positional-light teams would suffer the worst, or those with a very predictable standard development path (high elves).
Gartch

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2015 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting rule, and interesting choice Smile

I hesitate between strip ball and dauntless.

Strip ball is better after dodge, but if you can hope the blitzer can quickly get 16 SPP it can be a good idea. Also if you afe 3RR and not 2, you can consider to spend one on a dodge to enter the cage and blitz ball carrier with the strip ball.

Dauntless will be useful against the ST4+ which are in all 5 next teams you are going to face, but again if the player is not in the right place, it's less good, so again without dodge it's less good Smile

PS: These rules seem really interesting. I (and it seem I would not the only one Smile )would be interested in your thought about these rules at the end of the league. I think it would be an interesting topic:)
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2015 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

You want a strip ball somewhere on an elf team.

Don't be one of those weird people and take it on a Witch
licker

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2015 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

strip ball or diving tackle for me

yeah i know diving tackle on a guy without side step (or blodge) is kind of weird, but you have to use him a bit differently basically you stick him on a player you don't want to move, but your opponent also isn't going to blitz free

eventually you will want blitzers with (assume they all blodge when they can) side step/diving tackle, tackle, stripball, hopefully a double for MB on the 4th.
kilinrax

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2015 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
strip ball ... don't be one of those weird people and take it on a Witch

Heh, yes. I made that mistake when playtesting some build ideas on Cyanide. Never build AV7 players - or anyone with frenzy - as sackers if you have other options.

Now I only build witches as killers; block over wrestle, juggers or MB over guard, def no SB.
kilinrax

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2015 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

[duplicate post please ignore/delete]

Last edited by kilinrax on %b %01, %2015 - %14:%Mar; edited 2 times in total
 Jump to: