39 coaches online • Server time: 16:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Skill choice
Fend - solid right?
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Pass Block - elf annoyer
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Pro - he's a legend right?
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Kick-Off Return - never taken this skill...how's it work?
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Tackle - you'll never get a stunty match again
41%
 41%  [ 14 ]
Sure Feet - take more risks!
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Cream Pie to the face cause elves
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Other - leave a comment
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 34

JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2015 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Retire.

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2015 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Strip ball or fend, I'd say now when he is Av7 go SB (he will die quick, but die like a wardancer).

Now, I see you have one (for the SB+scope), I'd still probably do it.
delusional

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2015 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

NO WAY!

You should be picking either "Guard", "Tackle", "Diving Tackle" or "Piling On".

He is av7 and needs to go down in a blazing glory ASAP!
Smeat

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2015 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

delusional wrote:
You should be picking either "Guard", "Tackle", "Diving Tackle" or "Piling On"...

Or +St!

Oh, wait, he said he rolled normals... Rolling Eyes

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2015 - 05:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat wrote:
delusional wrote:
You should be picking either "Guard", "Tackle", "Diving Tackle" or "Piling On"...

Or +St!

Oh, wait, he said he rolled normals... Rolling Eyes

Hehe - an apropos coach name I think Very Happy

Some good ideas here from everyone - I'm going to mull it over for a bit but I'm thinking tackle or stip ball are the best options for him now.

I don't mind fend & diving tackle either but I had dt pegged as the last skill for the nastier blitzer with MB,tackle & jump-up & fend while nice would come into play seldom I think.
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2015 - 07:14 Reply with quote Back to top

You seem to face a good variety of teams. (And applause to you for doing so.) So game-planning to face mostly elves or mostly bashers or whatever isn't relevant, which rules out pass block (already a kind of dubious option). Honestly, you've faced elves twice in the last 27 games (and Slann once, but still.)

Seems to me Fiovth is the guy you're building to leap into cages... he's already got strip ball, and as such, he's at least as good for the position now as Cael + tackle would be. (Of course Fiovth should get tackle over almost anything if and when he gets to legend.) Cael's not your hitter in non-cage situations either, given that he throws a little over two blocks a game and you have so many guys better equipped to hit. Strip ball makes even less sense for him than tackle, because that's the SAME blitzing skill Fiovth already has, and tackle helps when blitzing guys who aren't the ball carrier.

Fend is... eh. It's somewhat useful if you're playing a team with a largely positional game, but you're playing elves... if it bothers this guy so much that the opponent is in his tackle zone, he can dodge out. So it's mostly relevant as a counter for piling on. In your last eight games, you've faced a grand total of three players with piling on: a 5/3/3/8 DE blitzer, a mummy and an ogre. (You faced more nine games ago, but that was Norse, and how often do you face Norse?) It's just not a popular skill in R, and the players who have it tend to be mostly on the line while this guy tends to be mostly far away from the line, so it's not worthy of a counter in my opinion.

Jump up is a fringe option, but I sincerely hope he doesn't go unprotected or get knocked down often enough to need it.

Sure feet is a decent choice, because like it or not, everyone needs to GFI on occasion, but it's not a HUGE deal. Is it better than pro for getting you occasional rerolls? Maybe, because he already has dodge and sure hands... which means he only needs a reroll in the first place if he wants to reroll blocks, GFIs, passes, leaps or dodges out from a tackler. For a lot of that stuff, you'd want to have the protection of a real reroll, but you don't always have that luxury.

"You don't always have that luxury" is also the argument for sure feet, tackle (you don't always have the luxury of blitzing with one of your designated blitzers), etc. You're looking for a bonus skill here, a thing that patches up the few shortcomings of an already complete player, and there are few skills that say "I probably won't need this, but it'll come in handy in a lot of occasions" more than pro. You'll find uses for it, plain and simple, and "uses" here as opposed to "use" singular is the reason I'm going for pro. Sure feet probably second.

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2015 - 07:28 Reply with quote Back to top

shadowing

or fend

both go well with blodge sidestep

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

ahalfling wrote:
You seem to face a good variety of teams. (And applause to you for doing so.) So game-planning to face mostly elves or mostly bashers or whatever isn't relevant, which rules out pass block (already a kind of dubious option). Honestly, you've faced elves twice in the last 27 games (and Slann once, but still.)

Seems to me Fiovth is the guy you're building to leap into cages... he's already got strip ball, and as such, he's at least as good for the position now as Cael + tackle would be. (Of course Fiovth should get tackle over almost anything if and when he gets to legend.) Cael's not your hitter in non-cage situations either, given that he throws a little over two blocks a game and you have so many guys better equipped to hit. Strip ball makes even less sense for him than tackle, because that's the SAME blitzing skill Fiovth already has, and tackle helps when blitzing guys who aren't the ball carrier.

Fend is... eh. It's somewhat useful if you're playing a team with a largely positional game, but you're playing elves... if it bothers this guy so much that the opponent is in his tackle zone, he can dodge out. So it's mostly relevant as a counter for piling on. In your last eight games, you've faced a grand total of three players with piling on: a 5/3/3/8 DE blitzer, a mummy and an ogre. (You faced more nine games ago, but that was Norse, and how often do you face Norse?) It's just not a popular skill in R, and the players who have it tend to be mostly on the line while this guy tends to be mostly far away from the line, so it's not worthy of a counter in my opinion.

Jump up is a fringe option, but I sincerely hope he doesn't go unprotected or get knocked down often enough to need it.

Sure feet is a decent choice, because like it or not, everyone needs to GFI on occasion, but it's not a HUGE deal. Is it better than pro for getting you occasional rerolls? Maybe, because he already has dodge and sure hands... which means he only needs a reroll in the first place if he wants to reroll blocks, GFIs, passes, leaps or dodges out from a tackler. For a lot of that stuff, you'd want to have the protection of a real reroll, but you don't always have that luxury.

"You don't always have that luxury" is also the argument for sure feet, tackle (you don't always have the luxury of blitzing with one of your designated blitzers), etc. You're looking for a bonus skill here, a thing that patches up the few shortcomings of an already complete player, and there are few skills that say "I probably won't need this, but it'll come in handy in a lot of occasions" more than pro. You'll find uses for it, plain and simple, and "uses" here as opposed to "use" singular is the reason I'm going for pro. Sure feet probably second.

Thanks for the comments, you've got me flip-flopping now Smile

I agree that Fiovth is the guy I want getting the ball free - Caelthanan's job is usually to retrieve the ball & either run it with protection or to hand-off/pass it and act as the protection. Fend I was thinking to help those times where he fails the pickup or pass/handoff & also to protect the ball-carrier. On defense it could help guard the side-lines vs. Frenzy also. I would prefer it on some linemen though & position them to protect the ball-carrier.

Pro is good for the leap & subsequent pass/hand-off or gfi's but I usually have a re-roll handy & would probably use it instead of pro on a failed leap as it's usually a crucial point when you want to get the ball free, but you never know. Would be useful for general blocking though on defense & I certainly like it better than sure-feet as I can use it for more uses as you pointed out.

I guess it boils down to where I see him on the team & how I utilize him. He's not a hitter as I have other better options for that - he's the teams default scoring option & perhaps Pro suits that role best.

Lot's of really good thoughts on the skill choice - thanks everyone. Sorry I was being a bit goofy with the poll choices, I should of thought a bit about it beforehand.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 01:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Rbthma wrote:
Pro is good for the leap & subsequent pass/hand-off or gfi's...

Shocked

Pro is TERRIBLE* for those actions! All of them are critical to a drive, all cause Turn Overs if they fail - if they're worth doing, they are worth a Team RR.

(* and, yes, I'm shouting - sorry, but it's that bad!)

And... with Leap, or GFI? Especially not with those - on AV 7? Coin toss to see if that 42% AV break shows up? Sploosh-city. Oy. Rolling Eyes

Rbthma wrote:
... Caelthanan's job is usually to retrieve the ball & either run it with protection or to hand-off/pass it and act as the protection.... He's not a hitter as I have other better options for that - he's the teams default scoring option & perhaps Pro suits that role best.

No, not even "perhaps".

Pro is when that player is NOT handling the ball. Pro is for negatraits and players whose actions do NOT cause turnovers, like surfs or heavy hitters who roll Push.

(And before anyone sez "Wut about when you're out of RR's???!!!" - if you find yourself in that position a lot, then you need more RR's, or (better) learn to stop wasting them early!) Laughing

If you want to maximize his usefulness in the role you describe above, "ball retriever and/or convoy duty, but not a hitter", then you have a problem - hard to be part of a cage when you don't hit.

Tackle would make him a LOT better in this role in general (and your other Tacklers are not reliable, if for diff reasons), but if that's just not him then you have 2 choices:

1) Fend and call it good. Fend will help him stay alive (always a bonus) and has good synergy with Sidestep, esp when getting ping-ponged around in a cage after he makes (or fails) the play.

And, like SS, and esp when combined with SS, the annoyance factor should not be underestimated.

2) Diving Tackle - not as strong without Tackle, but he doesn't only have to use it to mark with. Just owning the 8 squares around him is a massive deterrent, and a DT on a cage corner really deters 3+ dodges and Break Tacklers. And when the Blitz obviously has to go somewhere else, marking a player will safely keep that guy out of the play.

(Edit - re Sure Feet. SF... ehhhh... it can be a trap. It "only" fails 1/36, but you'd be surprised how often some coaches use it once they have it, and 36 GFI's add up quicker than expected, and with AV 7, it will kill him.

If you keep it as a MA 9 threat and use it only when you need to - sure, maybe that would be best, but I really think one of the others will find more use.)

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
 Jump to: