27 coaches online • Server time: 02:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
blocknroll

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 09:56 Reply with quote Back to top

how do i find out what place i finished? (edit will you beposting a final standing somewhere, if i leave the group i probably wont be able to find it otherwise)

Do you still think a final works? Im thoroughly unconvinced by it (also at the NAFC itself, in fact more so given the fact it cant be spectated and the result isnt meant to be known but of course is)

Presumably drop outs will be punished by future bans, do you think they care?

Did you think the net td and cas tie breakers per round work or would random be better? There was talk of using Opponent Score at some point, is this being thought about in future/possible to implement in the future?

Obviously overall id say the tournament was "a good thing", and at least Im not left thinking why did I pay £55 for a tournament which gave me a pack of sandwiches and an apple for lunch, just a few thoughts.

Last edited by blocknroll on Mar 03, 2015 - 10:06; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Check the table! Smile

Some results are yet to go in.
blocknroll

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

yes the edit above was because i somehow missed the group at the bottom of my list Wink
Coma

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

1. Length of rounds. Is a week optimal? Would you play a ‘traditional’ NAF weekend tournament (3 games per day over a weekend)?

A week was the perfect time to play the games. More than that would probably result in more coaches losing interest. I would love to play the traditional format on Fumbbl.

2. Communication. Was the level of advertising about right? Is there anything we have missed with regards to letting you know the event is starting / how it’s going?

I didn’t miss anything (that I know of) so I think it was good. Love Phils Picks!

3. Did you enjoy yourselves? If so why (and if not, why not)?

The most fun part was to spectate other games as they were played. And I am quite pleased with 4 I 0 I 2 as this was my first tourney with Dwarfs.

4. Are you / do you know a NAF TO who is interested in partnering with us in the future to run a sister online event (with or without physical prizes)? As we look to fill our tournament pipeline, we’d like to partner with events from across the NAF world.

This could be really interesting for Eurobowl 2016 in Sweden. Let´s talk about that over a beer!
m0gw41

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

First of all thanks to everyone who put this fun event together, I really enjoyed the unique format and playing with resurrection made for something different for me as an online only player.

Length:
This was fine, a week deadline is plenty although the OCD part of me felt a bit unsatisfied that the final was played leaving out two other unbeaten teams. I think TD + Cas diff is not a very good separator and with this being online it would have been very easy to run an extra round of semis before a grand final.

Communication:
Absolutely fine.

Enjoyment:
It did feel like a league, which was fine for me and but I have to say I did deliberately choose 'flings as I didn't want to risk feeling like there was nothing to play for after 2 games, the Stunty cup was pretty open until much later. Winning the raffle at the end was an unexpected surprise as well!

I would play one of these again either similar to this or as a KO type format, I couldn't commit to an online weekend tournament though, I think that would prove difficult for the organisers too, it is hard enough just getting a load of people in a room organised let alone across multiple continents and time zones. No harm in giving it a try though, different events catering for different needs are all good.

Looking forward to the next one.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
Well, I guess someone has to give some negative feedback at some point, right?

For a start I'll say that it's nothing to do with the Staff or FUMBBL, the organisation and communication have both been excellent. I think it comes down to me as a player.

As with most FUMBBL players I have various time commitments. I organise my FUMBBL playing time and decide what I can commit to. When you enter a tournament for 6 weeks (and especially if the next one is starting in March) then you are no longer competing in a tournament; you're playing in a league. This directly competes with my favourite aspect of FUMBBL. However, unlike in a League, in the NAF games you can very often have nothing to play for after the first 2/3 games whereas a league team would be skilling players, playing old rivals etc.

It might be different for NAF members, but for just a regular FUMBBL bod I didn't really have anything to play for after the first 2 rounds, other than honour and position. I skipped both of FUMBBLs January Majors because I didn't have time, and also the last Minor (that I wanted to compete in) because I'd still got 2 NAF games to play.

I don't really know a way around this. I would suggest the single weekend format, but I know I wouldn't play in that either. I think for a tournament to work (for me) online then I either have to be playing for something or out. Maybe it would be possible in future to have a golf-like 'cut' of teams below a certain record, or an opt-out after so many rounds?

Thanks for running it guys, it's been interesting and the games have been entertaining Smile

That is not negative. That is just how it is. Wink

That is why a Tour and or ratings would encourage some people to play.
People who only want to take each tournament as a one off can still do that. People who want a more league like experience would be catered to as well.

The reason I like end of year finals is that most of us have virtually no chance of winning. Playing to make the top 50, 100, 150 would still leave an achievable goal and keep the season alive.
It would also mean that if you just failed to make the Grand final then you may have a fair chance of winning the division 2 final. And so on.

I'm not keen on cas & TDs deciding who goes to the tournament final. A team could rack up a nice bonus by drawing ogres and going on a snotling killing spree. Also, some coaches quit when the dice go against them. How many TDs were scored against little or no opposition. Having seen how this tournament has gone I think that this rule would encourage an army of undead.

I wouldn't play an all day/weekend tournament. But hey, if you can get the punters...

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to everyone for running the event.

I would also like to say well done to everyone for not responding to any of Purplegoo's PM's and for 'keeping it' in the correct forum thread \o/
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoyed it a lot.

Communication:
Good and bad. How came Joemanji misteriously lost the Stunty Cup?

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, just had an idea.

Is there any chance of holding one of the weekend tournaments (3 games saturday, 3 games sunday) on the same weekend as the official NAF tournament?

There are quite a few of us who cannot make it for various reasons, but this might make for one awesome weekend of BB both in person and online!
jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

First off: congratulations to Goo and the team for running things so smoothly, and to all the winners.

Now for the negative feedback Smile

1. Length of rounds. Is a week optimal? For me, yes. You're never going to please everyone all the time, so I suggest that mixing it up may be an idea in future? Personally there's no way I could commit to a whole weekend, but I guess other people could do that easier than 6 or more weeks. But we could break things up even more... so some tournaments with longer deadlines (10 days, or 2 weeks?), some with shorter - so playing a one-day event with 3 or 4 games? Or evening running shorter than that - 3 games in one night is perfectly doable on FUMBBL, e.g. starting at 19:00 server time you could have 3 rounds done by midnight.

2. Communication. I think there was a corner of the internet I stumbled across that didn't have mention of this event... try harder next time! Wink

3. Did you enjoy yourselves? Yes and no. All the coaches I played were lovely people, who gladly took their win and superb tiebreaker bonuses that I gave them. Bloodbowl is bloodbowl, so its either fun or I hate it... or both.

My issue is with the forfeit penalties messing up the standings. As someone on a massively negative tiebreaker score, for the last 2 rounds I ended up playing far stronger opponents than I should have; because of (presumably) an odd number of people above, the swiss draw put me against the top tie-breaker from the points score above... which was teams that had been penalised in previous rounds (I think?). Who then got an easier round to make up for it. I don't know how you can solve this - possibly booting people completely, rather than giving a penalty? - but it didn't seem to fit right. And had I been playing with any intentions of finishing in a decent place, that could have caused issues...

4. Are you / do you know a NAF TO I'm not, but I do have some crazy ideas for tournaments I'm happy to unleash upon the world...

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

1. Length of rounds. Is a week optimal? Would you play a ‘traditional’ NAF weekend tournament (3 games per day over a weekend)?

I think a week is enough to play a game. Perhaps in another time zone rival could be a problem, but if there is interest, the game will be played

Playing on the weekend , it's probably difficult to reconcile with family . I prefer the classic mode Fumbbl.

2. Communication. Was the level of advertising about right? Is there anything we have missed with regards to letting you know the event is starting / how it’s going?
I think the communication was correct during the tournament by the organization.

Regarding the opponents, a little more empathy when responding to messages would be welcome . especially what to read and not respond after two days ...

Yes, I did. The opponents were interesting and the games were fun. And comments from the matches via Twitter with other managers, were fun too.

4. Are you / do you know a NAF TO who is interested in partnering with us in the future to run a sister online event (with or without physical prizes)? As we look to fill our tournament pipeline, we’d like to partner with events from across the NAF world.

I don't know any NAF TO personally, but I think that if the tournament is published in some forums (outside Fumbbl) probably more people could be interested.

"Vice is a miscalculation in the pursuit of happiness"
(J. Bentham)
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

SzieberthAdam wrote:
ICommunication:
Good and bad. How came Joemanji misteriously lost the Stunty Cup?

Joe conceded in his round 6 game when he felt the result was beyond him (and hence incurred a penalty that knocked him out of contention). As NAFC organiser, it's better the prize go elsewhere, anyway. So, not mysterious, but I concede not immediately obvious. Wink
nobbynobbs

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

As someone who plays in a fair few NAF tournaments, I enjoyed myself but like Blocknroll have the same issue with a final. But that's the NAFC rules and one reason why I wont attend it.

Must say it was well run and communication was great and played a good set of opponents (although ironically, my first was against a guy who frequents the tournaments I go to and another was a guy in the same league that I play in online occasionally!)

I really cannot think of anything wrong personally apart from the final. (had it been most other tournaments, after 6 games someone else would have won I believe with it going to overtime?)

I know Darkson as he runs the club along with moddygit where I live and can speak to him about getting the ARBBL tournament done online as well if you want Phil?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi nobbynobbs,

As you say, we were following the NAFC rules in this case. As I mention in the OP; we feel we have a good direction for future online formats. I should say, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face if you're avoiding the NAFC due to a final being played. It's a minor (some may say traditional) point when considering attending an amazing party.

I will be reaching out to NAF TOs on other forums / directly shortly, but I was keen to mention it first to those that supported our first online event. I'm sure that I will speak to Darkson, and everyone else, very soon. Smile
gjopie

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure I've got much more to add, but I do have a few extra points.

Yes, length of rounds was perfect. If you extend to the average [L] rounds of 10 days you'll be stepping on their toes! I wouldn't play a weekend tournament, I just am not willing to give up a whole weekend to this!

Communication was spot on - loved the PMs each round. Good job!

I've got to say, I really didn't, and I won't be participating in any future NAF tournaments like this one.

Part of the reason was my own fault for choosing goblins. Unlike in a regular league (I play them in OBBA, for example), you've got nothing to play for - no team building, etc. - so it is just constant beatdowns (although I did win two games), which gets boring very quickly. Especially when I have limited playing time, and have to turn up each week to get beaten for no real reward.

On the other hand, it wasn't as good as a regular tournament (as opposed to a [L]eague), because if you take a sub-optimal team there you are knocked out quickly and don't have to continue through the un-fun humiliation of losing each week.

I was really just going through the motions for the whole second half of the tournament, once I realised my mistake.

I think I would have felt the same if I hadn't picked stunties, mainly because I love the team-building aspect of it. No real way of knowing though, and I'm not willing to commit 6 weeks of my life to give it another shot!

Sorry if that comes across as too negative. I think it was excellently organised, and a lot of my opponents seemed to be enjoying themselves (and were new to fumbbl, which is great - I hope they stick around). It's just not for me, for the reasons listed above.