31 coaches online • Server time: 10:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
NerdBird

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

So my team Brianne Kaylee and Emma Rose in the box has a hell of a time against Chaos Dwarfs. I have faced them 6 times and have only won one total lucker of a game in which I only had 2 Elves to field. Otherwise, they kick my ass.

It seems the Bulls grab the ball cage up and I have no way to penetrate that. The defensive line I throw up gets whiddled down until there is nothing left. Sure, I could maybe try and stall the game out for a 1-1 tie but that is not really what I am looking for....

How the hell do you take these teams on with High Elves? Especially in the box I guess. Te CD's average about 3 casualties a game against me. I average 1 every other game. They seem to be a horrible match up because any dodge I do have is pretty much neutralized by the Dorfs, and combined with their guard and the Strength of the bulls does not open much up.

Yes, I need a kicker but still, the bulls are fast enough to retrieve the ball and get back into formation.

So I am asking, how the hell do you take them on? I am at the point if I draw them I would rather forfeit than play the boring and fruitless game that is going to ensue.....
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

How I tend to match vs cdorfs and dorfs or any bashy team is in the skills....wrestle linos. Most coaches like dodge as a first skill across the board but when facing high tackle teams or teams that field tpomb players, wrestle works almost as well and keeps my players alive. I frequently see a bothdown push and see them take the push. As far as dodging, agile 4 is still ag4 and I tend to play a more aggressive defense trying to get a man to Mark the bulls, which brings me to my next interesting skill choice...fend or sidestep. both are valuable for agile positioning...my two cents.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

That and you run one more catcher than I prefer, but that is more preference and tv management.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I run 4 catchers because 7 out of 10 games are claw ridden teams.....

My linos are lucky to get one skill, let alone 2. If I can field 8 or more players for the second half, I am usually a happy man.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 02:12 Reply with quote Back to top

When facing Tackle-spam on your turn, you have to treat it like a rookie Elf team with no Dodge. Play conservative, protect the ball and your best players.

On his turn, nothing you can do beyond that - 16 MB/Tackle Blitzes (and pro'ly w/ PO) will do some damage over a game, no question. :/

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

One of the issues that I see is that you are using a blitzer as your sacker.

A player like Lorenzo is able to cagebreak against ST4 non-strip ball players and get the turnover you need.

Also, in box CDs are pretty crazy good in that 1400-1600 range... especially if you have taken a lot of +ST to push yourself up there with them.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat wrote:
When facing Tackle-spam on your turn, you have to treat it like a rookie Elf team with no Dodge. Play conservative, protect the ball and your best players.

On his turn, nothing you can do beyond that - 16 MB/Tackle Blitzes (and pro'ly w/ PO) will do some damage over a game, no question. :/

This is so true and something I forget halfway through games.
NerdBird

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:

A player like Lorenzo is able to cagebreak against ST4 non-strip ball players and get the turnover you need.

That is a good point. I have sort of taken players as I needed them since they die off quickly. When my blitzer started he was the only skilled player on the team(he is an original). So maybe I will sack the -ma catcher after the next game and buy a new one to turn into a sacker. Thanks
RedDevilCG

Post 12 Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say this team would probably be the worst for High Elves: Police
WolfyDan

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I think chorf games can get very dicey. If he has a few stat increases it can be ridiculously tough. You ideally need pressure on the ball early before he screens up, but doing so can leave your team vulnerable on a failed roll. Wrestle catchers are generally good for this, but they will get fouled!

It is a tough line up but I find Nurgle worst. They are the antithesis of Helves. Full of passive skills that just seek to disrupt. Plus tentacles, ugh. I think I find foul appearance the worst as just when you think you have your combos worked out you snake the roll and your plan is fried. Worst yet you are left in base contact.

I'm 8/0/9 with my box Helves and 5 of my losses have been against Nurgle (3), and Chorfs (2).
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 05:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that Nurgle is the worst when they've reached a sufficient TV level - a pomb tackler, a legit ball carrier, some stats, +ST with tents on on a nurg warrior, not totally uncommon stuff in Box. The Disturbing Presence and Foul Appearance really hoses OTTD attempts if you have the chance to make em. And unfortunately sometimes thats the best chance you have at winning at the end of the first half as elves, scoring that ottd after not being able to stop an 8 turn drive.

Anectdotally I'm 0-1-2 vs. Cdorfs and and 2-1-1 against nurgle but the TV at which I played cdorfs was lower than 1350 and Nurgle has been 1400 to 1700. I think I've run into some Superbulls though and honestly there is nothing you can do if you don't have wrestle or stripball if all you're getting is -2d6 on defense (assuming your opponent isnt getting diced)
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 07:38
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe try playing teams that aren't considered Tier one teams... DwarfDwarfDwarfHighElfDarkElfUndeadDwarf won't really make you a better player against teams like CDorks or anyone else for that matter. Try some in-between classes like humans, norse, lizard, orcs even. So you're not just dodging out every turn with all men or oppositely; crushing in for the bash game alone. THAT will make all teams easier to play against with High elfs. Consider them Humans that have better ball skills and you'll play 1000% better against Cdorks or anything else for that matter.
 Jump to: