26 coaches online • Server time: 10:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Everything will be complete when I return home from work this evening.
Macabeo

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Cavetroll wrote:
I've heard that NAF TT tournaments give prizes for best offense, best defense, and most brutal (CAS).

Oooooh my ogres got most brutal along with JohnnyD's Brunsviken Krokodilersch with 21 CASes, yet managed to get a negative CAS differential anyway (22 against)! \o/

Six ogres roster with a 2/1/3 record and only 1 PO from games 1-3 and another from games 4-6, definitely not looking for it.

Now on topic:

- Nothing beats the live experience no matter what, be it leagues, tourneys or whatever, but still had a blast. Thanks a lot to all the people behind the tournament!!!

- I enjoyed the resurrection format because it allows coaches that don't like building teams for majors like me to face top coaches on a more or less equal level.

- I'm not very competitive and was coaching stunty anyway, but I can see why motivation may decrease once you have no chances at winning the tournament. Both making the tourney a short time event and letting people quit are options, but I don't think this will please everybody (I wouldn't do the former because of real life constraints, for instance).

- The communication was great. I get why people may get confused with the final (I don't like it either, part of the thrill of the swiss format is watching what your opponents are doing), but compared to majors I felt much more involved because I was still playing it and got regular updates.
NerdBird

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
My idea would be to do team tournaments like the stable format. Then you would care about other people's games etc.

This would be a great idea. Although, would it be a random stable draw or teams of the best fumbbl coaches getting together? If it was the latter this could scare new fumbblers away.

Also, doing the stable thing, would it be different teams in each stable? Looking at the list of teams entered we only had 2 each of slann, high elf and chaos pact; 1 underworld and then we have 20+ teams of undead, woodies, dark elves and dwarves....
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

NerdBird wrote:
PeteW wrote:
My idea would be to do team tournaments like the stable format. Then you would care about other people's games etc.

This would be a great idea. Although, would it be a random stable draw or teams of the best fumbbl coaches getting together? If it was the latter this could scare new fumbblers away.

Also, doing the stable thing, would it be different teams in each stable? Looking at the list of teams entered we only had 2 each of slann, high elf and chaos pact; 1 underworld and then we have 20+ teams of undead, woodies, dark elves and dwarves....

I'd say that you pick your own stable and pick your own team.

Maybe big stables could have a B team. Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 17:20
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I love the stable idea. Gutted I wasn't around when it was running before Sad

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
giorss

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm still waiting for another tourney!

Just an idea:
I think I'm not the only one who needs to train for the world cup 2015
is it possible to create a L division to play those matches?
playing in test mode and
arranging matches by PM, facebook or similar it's not easy and usually there are always the same opponents Sad
and it's not easy to spectate them
Any other idea about?

I tried to open a post to find some opponent / schedule test matches:
https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=631375#631375

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

giorss wrote:
I'm still waiting for another tourney!

Just an idea:
I think I'm not the only one who needs to train for the world cup 2015
is it possible to create a L division to play those matches?
playing in test mode and
arranging matches by PM, facebook or similar it's not easy and usually there are always the same opponents Sad
and it's not easy to spectate them
Any other idea about?

I tried to open a post to find some opponent / schedule test matches:
https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=631375#631375

If Christer could set up a group with a few open leagues in it with these options then I suppose someone else could run it from there.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Stables are available now; we didn't require any formal structure last time. If you book it, they will come. As I've mentioned, online NAF wise we're set for format ideas in the short to medium term. Formally running something like stables, if we ever choose to go somewhere like that, is a running thing when we're currently just about crawling. Have patience. Wink

You won't have to wait long, giorss. You'll hear about something soon...
Roland

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 08:57 Reply with quote Back to top

This was a fun event, though I don't think I will apply to any online tournaments like this anymore. The non-progression part is not really for me, I'm a league-guy really and love the progression part (the reward that don't care if you won or not).
BlueDevil420

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't had time to read the entire thread, but here's my feedback on the points you asked for:

1. Length of rounds. Is a week optimal? Would you play a ‘traditional’ NAF weekend tournament (3 games per day over a weekend)?
- A week is fine for me, although with 2 leagues and a major running, scheduling became tight, but that was my own fault Smile I would not play weekend tournaments.

2. Communication. Was the level of advertising about right? Is there anything we have missed with regards to letting you know the event is starting / how it’s going?
- This was excellent.

3. Did you enjoy yourselves? If so why (and if not, why not)?
- Reasonably well up to the point where I lost my first game, after that I stopped caring. Online rankings don't really matter to me, so when winning the tournament was out of the question, I only finished the tournament out of a sense of duty.

4. Are you / do you know a NAF TO who is interested in partnering with us in the future to run a sister online event (with or without physical prizes)? As we look to fill our tournament pipeline, we’d like to partner with events from across the NAF world.
- nope
WolfyDan

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Really good tourney guys. Thanks to all who contributed effort to making this happen!

1. Week is perfect.
2. Overall yes, but it would have been nice if the things that were started (like the picks) were continued. It felt good in the build up but underway it was a touch light.
3. Yes; was nice to play a different style.
4. Sorry, no.

Also I played a couple of people from different TZs and they were great at finding a time that would suit us both.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

The picks did run through the tournament? Perhaps you mean updates on the original '10 to watch' as the tournament evolved?

I'm glad people enjoyed that thread, but it was quite intensive to admin the tournament and also write all of that text / nonsense each week. I suspect I will be looking for a willing volunteer to arm the fluff cannon next time...
babass

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for organizing!

1. Length of rounds. Is a week optimal? Would you play a ‘traditional’ NAF weekend tournament (3 games per day over a weekend)?

=> it's better to keep weekend for table top Wink
=> 1 game / week it's very hard, espcially because the draw is made late (around 22h), if you could not connect to fummbbl during the day (firewall at work, or no internet), it's very hard to find meeting...
1 game every 2 week would be better

2. Communication. Was the level of advertising about right? Is there anything we have missed with regards to letting you know the event is starting / how it’s going?
=> very good

3. Did you enjoy yourselves? If so why (and if not, why not)?
=> i loved it.
but i was lucky to win my first game(s), to meet always very motivated coachs (and not be scheduled against demotivated coachs...)

4. Are you / do you know a NAF TO who is interested in partnering with us in the future to run a sister online event (with or without physical prizes)? As we look to fill our tournament pipeline, we’d like to partner with events from across the NAF world.
=> i would love to organize some naf onligne tourney! similar tourney offering the "fee" to the Brussels Bowl (the TT naf tourney i'm organizing now)
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
Out of interest, how many forfeits were there in each round?

There was 1 in the first round, then there were 5 in the 2nd, 6 in the 3rd, 7 in the 4th, 12 in the 5th, and 18 in the final round. Giving a total of 49 out of 762 games.

As to the questions asked by PGoo:

1. A week was good, and I'd definitely try a one or two day format too. Worth bearing in mind this would take noticeably less time than a traditional TT format.

2. Nothing missed as far as I was concerned, communication seemed excellent all round.

3. I did, though I'd've liked a better record. But then, that's my own fault for choosing to bring Chaos.

As a follow-on to that, and bearing in mind that you have said you've had thoughts about other formats already, there is one I'd particularly like to see. That is the tiered style you occasionally get in TT, where different races get differing numbers of skills. 3 skills for tier 1, 5 for tier 2, 7 for tier 3, and an additional doubles choice for stunties; something along those kind of lines. It would be nice to promote diversity, rather than seeing NAF/resurrection events continue to be dominated by the usual 4 or 5 races that do best around that 1100TV 5+1 skills sort of level.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Well even not attending, i enjoyed this event watching the games very much.
Thanks for organizing and making it happen.

+1