31 coaches online • Server time: 05:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Hmm, what to take, what to take...?
Dodge - elf it up!
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
Jump Up - POMB them all!
47%
 47%  [ 11 ]
Side Step - surf all menz!
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Something else - tell me below!
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Meat pie - with lots of garlic and onions!
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 23

Electric_Wizard

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2015 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

This player

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=9856523

on this team

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=762320

has rolled a double (2+2).

Sites like bbtactics suggest Dodge or Side Step, but I don't really like those, especially Dodge as it only gets used in a defensive way probably.

Jump Up maybe? Might be fun and doesn't seem that bad on a 3+. Would probably also destine him to become a POMBer.

Or something different, maybe skip the double as it is his first skill?

Thanks for your help!

E-Wizard
licker

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2015 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

JU is the long view, but you're still to 31spp before you've added MB and PO, though it's also easier to take diving tackle on a 2nd double.

I wouldn't skip it though, dodge is really a good skill for dwarves in general, even if you're not using it to dodge away much.

If you really don't like dodge though your consideration is how long you are willing to have a sort of useless skill in jump up while you wait for him to get the next 25spp.

If you don't want to wait then just take MB.
Gartch

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2015 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

At long term I think dodge is better
And skip it and taking MB is better in short term.

Dodge mainly helps your player to survive (and since slayer often are team killers, and only AV8, yes it's useful Smile ).

At very very long term JU is the best, because there will be a lot of tackle in opposing teams. And as licker said, it will be useful when your slayer has MB+PO

Personnally I would choose MB, I prefer short term:)
Azure

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2015 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Definitely Jump Up.

Reason: It is useful even without PO. The weakness of dwarf teams is the lack of mobility. Your troll slayers are your enforcers - they need to have as much mobility as possible. Having JU helps even before you get PO - just having that extra MA can very critical to a dwarf team. Also, you want to be hitting with your troll slayer - not getting hit very often...so dodge is less useful on them then it would be on a blitzer for example. You need to shield your troll slayers anyway - so do not take dodge.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2015 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Side step useful for sideline surfing action and annoyance. Dodge also good as his av8 is a soft spot that will be targeted; it becomes a less attractive blitz prospect if they don't have Tackle.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2015 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd suggest Jump-Up, or Side-Step
Dodge is great if you're at lower TV, before you start seeing 4-5 tacklers per opposing roster, but it's usefulness fades away as you break 1400-1500 TV. You should also keep in mind that a Troll Slayer can dodge on a 4+, and dodge can save you a re-roll if you do try dodging with him. And yes, there will be times when your Slayer might need to dodge to blitz.

In fact, I honestly wish I'd taken different skills on many of the players for this team:
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=784776

At one point, I had 6 dwarves with dodge. This was great against low Tackle teams, but against other Dwarves or Chaos Dwarves, my TV was bloated by 180. Think on that for a minute. Against teams with 4-5 Tacklers, your dodge is completely meaningless. They ignore it on a block, and negate it if you try to dodge away. For most Dwarves, Diving Tackle, Jump Up, or Side Step are much better choices

I was lucky that my 2nd Slayer rolled doubles for his second skill, as it made Jump-Up an easy and obvious choice.

In the end, I'd plan for the long term, and take Jump Up now, followed by MB, Tackle, and PO on his next 3 (assuming all are normal rolls)
Electric_Wizard

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2015 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your feedback guys. I went with Jump Up. Playing more tabletop than FUMBBL I'll use the chance here to go for the long term choice.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2015 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

If you go dodge, you're essentially building out for a guy who provides an unmovable assist (taking standfirm next) that almost necessitates either a tackler, wrestler, or juggernaut, to get rid of that assist with any regularity. If you use him on a Blitz, his Frenzy can carry him into a position where he's B2B with the ball carrier and with SF Blodge...it's a pain in the butt.

If you go other things it changes the role on the team.
Electric_Wizard

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, why is there only one vote for the pie option? Don't you guys love that option? Wink
bghandras

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Why is jump up good on agility 2? Not even reliable with pomb.

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you just take mighty blow here dude.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

If you think really long-term, you might also take Pro as a 5th or 6th skill - and that combines wonderfully with the 3+ JU roll (unless it's critical, but in that case you still have the Pro RR left for a Block or GFI re-roll).

Certainly easier to decide on a later skill roll.

I disagree on Dodge losing much of its value on higher TV. Even if you have only a single player with Dodge, it makes him even more a pain for your opponent. And they have to either blitz him (meaning they can't blitz someone else that turn) or mark him with a tackler, which is rarely a good idea if your player with Dodge is also a hard hitter (and having Guard and/or other hard hitters nearby).
I had Dodge on a couple of dwarves and while it is occasionally canceled by Tackle and therefor "dead" TV, it far more often proved useful over the course of many games. At least I'm pretty sure about that.

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Blodge/Standfirm players are a big pain in the a.. of your opponent, except PHERAPS dwarf (still a pain, but smaller) that spam tackle more than other teams
 Jump to: