17 coaches online • Server time: 08:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pubstar

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

So, I've started an Elf team in a league, and my ultimate goal is to have a deep roster that fouls a lot. I have a few questions for more experienced elf coaches (or just any av7 coach) about how to go about this.

A few notes on play style: since it is a league, I am playing each match to win, at least at the outset. This means I will mark guys with linemen when needed, and will use an Apo on a BH on a key positional. This will, naturally, cause more linos to get hurt.

I'm planning to keep permed lineman with anything other than -ST and just use them as DP's if they skill.

My thought is that if only -ST and death cause my roster size to shrink, I should be able to field 13-15 by the end of the current season. Does this seem reasonable? Will my rate of winnings be able to outpace the rate of attrition over the course of the next 5-6 games? Is there something I am missing, or something in my approach that needs to be adjusted?

Thanks!

bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I can give you only 1 advice: Take the elf roster with 60k lino and armor 7. You will need a significant bench.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

You can somewhat mitigate damage by playing well, even while "playing to win", and fouling out all POMBers may of course help with that, but in the end, the fact of the matter is, there is a huge luck factor. Maybe you'll be down to fielding journeymen or maybe you'll just keep adding players. It's in Nuffle's hands.
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

You can't afford to keep skilless niggles, they are worse than loners. A team size of 13-15 seems unreasonable to me unless you really never fire any injured, but even there, I don't think that helps so much. Elfs get a huge boost from inducements, so playing at 11, but with a lot of inducements is a very viable way to win league games. Wizard and star player (and then babes/apos usually) is frequently enough to gain an extra TD, either by scoring it or preventing it.

Otherwise, it's as has been said, your fate is in the hands of nuffle. You will take hits, and you will suffer armor breaks, minimizing both is a goal which sometimes leads to less competitive play, but you have to decide at what point in the season it's less important to win at all costs, and more important to not get more players put on the ground if not out of the match.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Fouling elves died with LRB4, but if you wanted to try it I would listen to the above advice and start with Pro Elves.

60k is pretty cheap, the problem is going to be keeping one alive. Like elf kickers, the lifespan of elf dirty players is incredibly short.
pubstar

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
You can somewhat mitigate damage by playing well...

Pfft. If I knew how to play well, I wouldn't need to foul all the time!

I appreciate the advice, thanks all. I do realize that this is a sub-optimal way to play Elfs, but I think it will at least be fun. My main concern is that death and un-keepable perms will make a large roster impossible. I will consider firing unskilled niggles as well as -ST, though I think it will make it difficult to get up to 13+ players.

Last edited by pubstar on %b %27, %2015 - %19:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Well getting to 13 players is an odd goal in my mind, especially if you are using niggles/other perms.

But more power to you if that's the plan!

Depending on the TVs of the teams you face, you really do get a lot more mileage out of inducements than other sides do.
pubstar

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

It's true that having a roster of 13+ players who are crappy is a weird goal. What I should have said was 'I want to throw 6+ fouls per match, and still have something of a chance to win.'

In my mind, having a deep roster is the way to accomplish that goal. So, getting to 13+ players is, really, a sub-goal that will hopefully lead to the achievement of the primary goal Smile

bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Sneaky git may also help. Just make sure that you bring the "right" amount of assist. It means that a double should be the top of the unsuccessful range. Lets say the opponent has armor 9, and you foul with a dp-sg. In that case you should lend for example 2 assists. So 9-2-1(dp)=6. If you roll 6 as a 3+3, then you are not ejected as the armor did not crack. (This is also a way to increase the chance that DP is used more on the injury roll rather than the armor roll.)

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to foul and foul a lot, especially with elves you need to do this first and foremost.

take wrestle on all your players and avoid block. You might only get one shot a turn to put a guy on the pitch to foul and wrestle makes your life so much easier.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Agree with Painstate, with the exception of a few hitmen. Maximum 4 block though, rest should be wrestle.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

In tabletop I've never had a problem keeping Pro Elfs alive/unhurt, but here on Fumbbl it's near impossible. Mainly a combination of higher player skill and prevalence of MB (and of course the anti-elf-biased RNG, lol). Good luck -- if you play at all aggressively (as I do, to my detriment) you will likely have Journeymen for at least 10 games, maybe 15. On the other hand Journeymen make good foulers too. Smile
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Once Coca Loca BBL gets a player with Dirty Player, then the fouling shenanigans shall begin in earnest.
Plorg

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

It can work.

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=352958
babass

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2015 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not that bad in tourney.
Pink_Charlie (naf#12457) is used to play a fouly elves rosters, and he has decent results since he adopted this strategy.
If i remember correctly without catcher/thrower, 14 men, and for skills 2 dodges on blitzers (to have chances to win), and wrestle / dirty player on lino.
 Jump to: