59 coaches online • Server time: 19:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cdassak

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2015 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

My most fouls in a game was in the Dark Elf XFL
https://www.fumbbl.com/p/match?op=view&id=3636851
Ofc the OT, bribe and dirty tricks helped plus the fact that I had no MB tackler, but still 15 fouls in 19 turns Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2015 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Impressive but of course it's you cdassak. I'm surprised the server didn't crash under the weight of those elven boots.
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2015 - 05:03 Reply with quote Back to top

My circus freaks Bizarre Bazaar do this in ranked and the Carolina Black Panther Party does its best to do this in league.

Pro elves are great at this for three reasons. They have cheap linos, they can score short handed, and they have speed to recover positionally from gang fouls they dole out. Nuff' said. Bring the boot and love it!! You have my support Very Happy
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2015 - 05:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh!

Rat_Salat wrote:
Fouling elves died with LRB4...

Sorry Rat... I never got the memo. I will say, though, that my Elf teams that don't foul haven't had nearly the success the ones that lay the boot do Wink
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2015 - 05:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Triple post for Fouly Wink
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2015 - 05:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Elves?

FOULING Elves?

God damn it! Why haven't I considered this before? Maybe they are worth playing after all... Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2015 - 09:09 Reply with quote Back to top

If I wanted to play Fouly Elves... I would play Humans or Norse or Amazons or Skaven.
CHEAP Linemen make getting DEPTH easier and don't cost so much TV by giving up too much in inducements.
Why pay for an Elf when all you really want to do is use him like a Zombie?
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2015 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

babass wrote:
It's not that bad in tourney.
Pink_Charlie (naf#12457) is used to play a fouly elves rosters, and he has decent results since he adopted this strategy.
If i remember correctly without catcher/thrower, 14 men, and for skills 2 dodges on blitzers (to have chances to win), and wrestle / dirty player on lino.

(memento to Wreckage, as this is also related to his thread)
True what babass said. I think it might be major viable with the following additions:
- Your foulers should not be heavily skilled
- 2 pcs of foulers are ideal
- You don't need a sacker, you aim for attrition
- You absolutely need that bench
- You will need a dedicated killer with MB, but I absolutely would cycle them through until you eventually get a pomber. This would be the position which is the most difficult to get. This means that you should not have guard, thus having problems early.
- You will need a good ball carrier. Either a catcher due to movement8, or a different one with stat increase.
- You will most probably don't need a 1turner, as there is a high chance you will lose players due to fouling, and also to opponents attrition.
- Thrower is risky proposition. 10k for a pass skill, and a leader for 20k is not a bad business, but I wonder if you could protect that leader with a fouling strategy.
- You will sport the rungame, so passing wont be important, so is also catch and NoS less useful than expected.

Good luck, I think this could actually work. Let me know how you proceed. I am very much interested into that project myself.
jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2015 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Fouling with elves can be a pretty good strategy.

I play elves fairly aggressively (my box elves have an AG5 leap/wrestle catcher, that helps a lot). In an ideal game, I'll kick, steal the ball, and score quick. Put a lot of pressure on and you can often repeat that... I'm not afraid of a 5+ dodge into a cage if I can get a 1d wrestle and/or strip-ball block away.

So... you get a TD or two ahead and still have your offence. So next step: keep your team alive. One very good way to do this is to foul, every turn possible. If it works, you can remove players, which helps your game... but if your players get sent off, well at least they aren't going to die this game - its win/win!

I once won the Dirty Player award in a league (10 teams) *ahem* on Cyanide *ahem* with wood elves, which was given to the team with most players sent off Razz using exactly this strategy.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2015 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

... and lets not forget, most line-elves get wrestle as a 1st or 2nd skill anyway, which is perfect for setting up fouls!

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2015 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

As a side note: Fouling works best in a perpetual league where the opposing team has a really strong player representing huge TV. So it is probably the weakest strategy against rookie team, and probably the strongest against minmaxed team with legends.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2015 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I could see this work well enough. And yes, if you're going to foul with elves, pro elves are the way to go. I did take a dp on my pro elves, but they're pretty much only for XFLs, and developed pro elf positionals are well worth an occasional boot to the face.

I would only keep -MA or -AG ones for LoS and fouling, but sack -ST, -AV and niggle.

DP is the only damage skill you can get on normal rolls, so it lets you play attrition without needing luck for (double) doubles. While it's a fine way to skill a (few) linem(a/e)n, I wouldn't make it a team focus. Build solid positionals, get a kicker, and never get more DP than you have bench.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2015 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Plorg wrote:
It can work.

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=352958

No, it COULD work. Not exactly helpful to post a link to a team that has not played since 2007 when fouling was as powerful as Clawpombing is today.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2015 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
Plorg wrote:
It can work.

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=352958

No, it COULD work. Not exactly helpful to post a link to a team that has not played since 2007 when fouling was as powerful as Clawpombing is today.

Fair point.
Correction:
It worked before.
It might still work now.
PainState

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2015 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

LRB4 fouling elf tactic did work, it was the CPOMB of the day.

CRP fouling elf tactic, well, maybe, depends, mmm?

The main problem with a foul centric roster, like that? foul centric.

IF you run across a 14-16 man roster it does not work like a charm.

You give up inducements and the other guy takes 2 babes, well your plan is sunk.

You play against a well balanced team then your lack of block and dodge really shines.

Fouling elves work good IMO in the Box at low to mid TV. Fouling Elves work good in Ranked because coaches laugh at your build and will gladly play you.