34 coaches online • Server time: 17:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi happy.

I'm in agreement that TD / CAS are not the best tiebreaker for a Swiss BB tournament. It's more or less random, and if it isn't (as you neatly outlined), it promotes poor Blood Bowl. That's why on this occasion, I went to the trouble of manually using strength of schedule for the top two places. As you also rightly point out, anything new is coding time.

TDs and CAS do have the benefit of being well known 'Blood Bowl things', which is at least something that they have going for them. And it is also true that no tiebreaker is really entirely satisfactory. Although I don't have too much sympathy with the view you sometimes hear about SOS ('but... I can't choose my opponent?!'), I do feel it's the best thing we have.

I like the idea about the lower tier: whilst we don't have the ability to split skills across tiers, this is a nice way of giving a small leg-up to these teams before we can do so properly (it will come, with patience). I'll take that away and give it some thought, depending on the minutiae of the next ruleset we use.

Cheers! Smile
happygrue

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I was in support of the SoS for the higher level games but as you say it was by hand... And it also has some other issues. It does measure "how much value do we put on the games I won" well, but falls flat if an opponent goes MIA and so on so there are issues to be thought of there. But yeah, it was great to have that for the top table games. I was just spitballing for for the future, ideally in a an "easily" automated way for all games someday. Wink

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Here we go. The final of the Lutéce Cup Challenge is scheduled for 21:00 server time on Thursday. But what of our finalists?

Image In the green, pointy eared corner, we have Lutéce Oppers, coached by Danish titan Tripleskull. The impressiveness of Tripleskull's Blood Bowl is matched only by the magnificence of his moustache, and it is no surprise he brings a 15/0/1 online NAF Wood elf record to our final. OK, I suppose.

Tripleskull qualified as European Group 2 winner, topping the group ahead of coaches such as cedric19, Jokaero, Elyoukey, Malmir and KFoged. In the playoffs, the Oppers opened with a 2-1 win over Flix (impressive even with Chaos, what a performance from Flix there to qualify) and fought past Aussie Undead coach Dazedmw 2-1 in OT. With a perfect WE record until this point, our man from down under put in a great performance to tie with the Woodies after 16 turns.

Image In the also green, if slightly scaly, corner sits JanMattys and his Human team, Reptile Remedy. Wait, these aren’t Humans, Jan has Lizards! The Lutéce Cup Challenge has brought out something new in FUMBBL’s most famous Human coach! At 8/0/0, perhaps this new direction is going to work out?

JanMattys qualified as European Group 3 winner, finishing ahead of such BB luminaries as PurpleChest, Oventa, Flix fxiii and RTTNAFC winner, Straume. Not half bad! In the last 8, Jan’s quarter final was a 1-0 win over qualifier Norse coached by Mr. Peng. Jan’s all Euro run to Thursday’s showdown culminated in a 2-1 win over Justicium’s High Elves, another very impressive race to reach the last 8 with!

What of our contest, then? Tripleskull believes in Dodge. He believes a lot. No Thrower for Leader access here; 4 Catchers, and even two Linemen to make a total of 8 Dodgers. We have a Guard Tree, and the all important WD skills are (well duh) Strip Ball and (well ooh) Mighty Blow. It’s a continental, make sure they stay hit, style for the Woodies! The mandatory Inducment here is a keep-my-Elves-on-the-pitch Babe. Smart.

Jan’s Lizard roster is the 12 men over 11 + Apo variant for added Skinkage. He is not messing about with skills; it’s Block. And Block. And some Block. Also, Block. Finally, some Block on a Krox. It’s not a bad plan, is it? We also have a Babe here, so the Inducments aren’t going to be too much of a randomiser.

The matchup may be the biggest clue as to the outcome of the contest. Lizards have a torrid time against Woodies in this sort of format. How can Jan protect a Skink ball carrier from a 3+ Leap and a 35/36 ball strip? That is the central tactical conundrum here. Whilst your humble scribe considers the Lizard / Woodie effect overplayed by many (it’s no gimmie), it is certainly the primary consideration. Ball security is the big question, and I’m looking forward to seeing how Jan tackles the WD threat.

All finals ebb, flow, and take unexpected twists. I expect our underdogs to put in a fine performance, and this to be tight. I have it 2-1 in OT, but I’ll not divulge which way! Either way, these two fine coaches and gentlemen deserve your spectating noises, your warm applause for getting this far and a thumbs up for a fine tournament. Good luck to them both, and I look forward to seeing you in the stands 21:00 BB time (CET) Thursday. Be there, or miss a corker!

If you’ve gotten this far through my drivel, you deserve a reminder that the next online NAF fun will be announced this week. Stay tuned! Wink

I'll pop this in a blog for added reminders tomorrow, once the GLN release makes the front page.
straume

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice write up, Purplegoo!I will miss the final as I am on a plane at the time, but am looking foward to the next NAF tourny on Fumbbl!
Verminardo

Post   Posted: May 28, 2015 - 09:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah damn, can't watch it either! Thanks for the write-up. Gonna be a tough one for the Lizards indeed.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 28, 2015 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Grats Tripleskull, and unlucky Jan!
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: May 28, 2015 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Grats Tripleskull, and unlucky Jan!

Thanks you.

Thanks for a great tournament.

Thank you nuffle for lots of luck in many games.

Looking forward to the next one.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 28, 2015 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Not really unlucky. Got a couple more Tds than I thought, but the damn elves were too dodgy and way too elfy Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

Full rulespack, announcement and such to come very soon (probably tomorrow or Tuesday), but our next online NAF event will kick off on June 15th. Mark it in your diaries now! Smile Applications will open on the 8th, so you've plenty of time.

In the mean time, two points of order. Firstly, I'd like to know what you thought of the playoff concept. I can see pros and cons; it's nice to have an overall winner, and for coaches from across the world to meet. But it does slow our momentum as many coaches are waiting for the next thing and not playing anymore, and all of the good things about a Swiss format with relation to a BB tournament sort of evaporate when you include a KO element. Is being a group winner enough, or should the playoffs stay?

Secondly, now that online NAF events are a bit more bedded in, I am looking to form a very small team of admins to help me with the weekly tasks. Applicants should be veterans of running FUMBBL events (in any division) and be aware of how things work, keen, reliable and available 21:00 server most Mondays. Sound like you? PM me!

Cheers!
happygrue

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I liked the playoffs. It would also be possible to start another main event and let the playoffs grid away in the background (and then even give the playoff rounds two weeks for scheduling), though I can see the disadvantage of that too.

As a member of one of the "minority" timezones, I really wish I could be playing a larger pool of coaches, but the logistics mean that if we're talking weekly swiss rounds with a wide mix of timezones I just wouldn't enter as many events, despite wishing it could be so. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, that idea was on the table (and still is). As you rightly say, pros and cons!

Not all online NAF events will follow the structure we tried for the LCC (after all, we're only two events old!), but rest assured, I am going to remain mindful of our friends across the world and try and keep it fresh and interesting for all. With that in mind, an Aussie or US application regarding adminning would be looked upon favourably! That way, in future worldwide groups, we could be more timezone sensitive regarding deadlines.
happygrue

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds good! Already these NAF events are way more accommodating than Majors. I'm very pleased to have a timezone based group. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 08:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I really liked the format of the last tournament. Although the idea of playing with Euro coaches appeals practically its difficult.

Next time I hope to get a full (or near full) Aussie group.
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 09:35
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Grue and I demand badges of label with honor for coming the the top spots for our NAF. Be it on NAF or in our imaginations! Stunty Lord Lorebass Demands the ability to show the world that He beat ogres! TWICE! (And im sure Grue and the Euro TZ winner wouldn't mind it either!)

Just saying.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I want nothing! And I want it now!

But in all seriousness, I was thinking it would be fun to add winners of these events to you coach bio about page to go alongside other "won tournaments" (as is already the case for other FUMBBL tournaments in an automated fashion). But that's a wishlist item for another day I guess.

Jump to: