62 coaches online • Server time: 22:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Bobs wrote:
And yet there is so much to play for in 3 other divisions.
Opens up so many different permutations at conference level where the real action is Razz

Agree totally. But feel real bad for prem side getting a bronze & relegated

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Redgum

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been around a while now. There are blokes have been around longer. Some of you are newer.

I've had Lizards who worked from Regionals to Prem qualification.
I've taken Dwarfs from Regionals to Prem.
Now rats.
I think that's rock/paper/scissors.

So although I've stayed out of this debate up until now, I've decided now to step in.

I think Prem has prestige, and so it should. It's a thrill just to get in and compete, especially because you're competing against some pretty storied names in the SWL (both in terms of teams and coaches). It's a high level of competition, and it's tough. It's tough to get in.
I think that once you have gotten in, it would be a great shame to lose your first two badly and realise that all that excitement is gone so soon, because you're just treading water until you drop back down. This is especially true of papers and scissors where 2 bad losses could be medium-term crippling.

I also think that the battle for top 2 in Conf is exciting. It's a great mood in the last few rounds. You (I) log on occasionally just to run the maths on how much I have to win by and what results have to happen for you (me) to make it. I did that with two round left this season, figured I needed to win both, lost R6. Then other results went my way and I had a must win final round to win promotion. That was excellent fun.
It wouldn't be any less fun, perhaps would be more so, if 2nd in the conf meant that I had won the right to take a leap at one more hurdle, a playoff against a lower Prem side.

So I think we needed to make a change, we did, but I think the pendulum swung too far.

I would suggest/support:
Prem:
Top 2 safe.
Next 3 repechage
Bottom 3 gone.

Conf x 3:
Winners go up.
Runners up repechage

The repechage round is the 3 Prem teams vs the 3 Conf teams, randomly assigned, with the winner going to Prem, the loser to Conf, OT in the case of a draw.
Stats in the repechage games have no bearing on season awards, twahns, all-stars, etc.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 11:43
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Redgum's assessment.

I would add that with the heathly population in the Reggies, maybe 7th place in Conf (where I sit) shouldn't be as safe as the rules currently state it is.
How about?: All last placed conf teams go down. A 7th also goes down (if needed for the 4th Reggie promotion). Any other 7th placers in conf face a repechage to survive.

Things could get messy with tiebreakers though. Do we really want playoffs to decide who gets another playoff (the repechage)?
Redgum

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

If it's 3 conf and 2 Reg, I'd suggest bottom 2 from each conf down, top 3 from each reg up)

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 12:18
FUMBBL Staff

Fair enough. But next season! I'm not a fan of shifting goal posts (especially when I'm in 7th)
Redgum

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

of course. I'm not advocating any changes for this season

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 12:46
FUMBBL Staff

I know. But I was getting the odd wind-up in chat when I was stressing about relegation Very Happy
Bobs

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Relegation/promotion in confs is always a variable system due to drafting teams.

Numbers are made up from reggies to fill the conferences as needed. This will never be predictable in an open system like we have.

Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

For what it's worth. I like the play-off idea for Conf to Prem promotions. According to Faulcon, this was also tried back in the earlier seasons.

Changing the Reg to Conf promotions - making it more dynamic - is also interesting. But not a good idea to change too much at once either.

Regards,
Season 29 Coach
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

A call to arms to all SWLers.

The SWL group page interface I made back in Jan/Feb, has now been in use for about half a year.

As with all pages and sites, somethings will work good, somethings ok, and other things again will be outright bad.

I'm going to go through the group page design in the coming weeks, and partially based on your experiences, will do some changes.

I would like as many of you to fill out this little quasi-pro questionnaire and send it to me in a PM.

Quote:
1. If you were to review the SWL group page, what score will you give it out of 10?
2. What do you find most frustrating about the page?
3. If you could change one thing about the group page what would it be and why?
4. What do you like best about it?
5. What do you like least about it?
6. How can the page be improved further? Suggestions are welcome.
7. Anything else you want to share?

Answer as many questions as you can be bothered, so feel free to leave blanks.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
Samaranthae

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2015 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

great idea and work b2k.

Yeah i thought i'd bring this up again now because i'm bitter that im being relegated... no no because there is no point talking about this season. We have to play it out by the rules we start the season with, can't change halfway through. But now is a good time to think about next season.

In a 3 conf system Redgum's idea is a good one. I prefer seeding the repocharge as i feel it makes it even more interesting again. However people might try and game it too much and i certainly dont want to see someone throw a game to avoid playing a super kill team in the repocharge.

If we drop back to 2 conf's we might do something similar. Taking 3 from each conf but repocharging 4 out of the 6.

Either way i think its also important that a team be able to opt out of the repocharge. For example lets say in my last 2 games my team got slaughtered and just wasn't going to be premiership material. And then i'm told i'm playing the Fun Police. If im happy not to go up to prem (which is ultimately where i want to be) i'd like the option to say u know what "you win" because even if i survive/win that game i wont have a decent shot at the prem and my prescence there will diminish the prem league. As for whether that will allow people to bully the conf's i dont know. But i know that i have a silver cup and i want a gold one. And i think most people feel that if they can do it they'd rather take it to the top and go for gold.
Semitence

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2015 - 03:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't want a cup. I want to kill people who are trying to get one though. Does that count?
Semitence

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2015 - 03:52 Reply with quote Back to top

On another note, we are currently on track to be able to fit a fifth season in this year. How are we managing this?
Tomay

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2015 - 05:09 Reply with quote Back to top

We always aim to have 5 seasons in a year. At the end of this season we will be having a 1 week break rather than the usual 2 for conferences and premier divisions. Regionals will still have 2 weeks in order for people to get time to complete their trial but will not get the extra week in round 1.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2015 - 06:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey balle2k i think the info page is awesome. I'd like to see more stats as a wishlist item but its already good regarding the leagues history. I mean things like: Teams that have never won a conference, teams that haven't been in premier etc. Not sure if that info is available however.

Cheers

Go the Count!
 Jump to: