54 coaches online • Server time: 17:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Aussiown

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2015 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a Live Chat box that enables coaches to chat while waiting at the live/recent match screen located just below the 'Show Activation Panel' button could be handy.

It would allow coaches to chat before and after matches while waiting for the next round without having to utilize the (apparently silent) IRC.

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/44808-simple-text-chat-box/ is a guide for creating a simple live chat box using HTML, CSS, Javascript and PHP.

There are other options out there for chat boxes that might suit the site build better, depending on what languages are currently used.

Such boxes are becoming popular on many sites that have users active ons static pages.[/url]
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2015 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

This could actually be a good idea. Maybe not on that particular screen, but I could see it being a fun feature for the site in general. I miss IRC being active component of the community.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2015 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Intereactive chat has been mentioned on the site. This is definitely a place where it would be good to have it. Though I think anyone on the site should be able to access the same chat directly from a web page (without using IRC or loading up javachat).

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2015 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to see something like this on the gamefinder screen.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I fear many coaches would cancel their activation if they see notorious bashers in the chat room...

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

@Mr_Foulscumm I miss the active IRC. Used to be one of the best things about Fumbbl.

@garyt1 I've only been playing BBox after a several year hiatus, so not sure where else it might fit in. Obviously it would benefit the site in multiple locations. Perhaps a single chat box static on all pages with a menu like selection for which play style you want to chat in (Ranked, Box, Stunty etc)

If it works out well it could even incorporate the bots and possibly replace the IRC altogether, providing a central point of communication from anywhere on the site.
Kam

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

IRC is much more than that. It also has regional or thematic channels - some of them are much more active than the main chat.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps this feature would be better on the Gamefinder screen or even as just a sidebox that doesn't require a third party application.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 03:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Billy: i iz in da box.

Coaches: all quickly deactivate.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 04:23 Reply with quote Back to top

@Kam It wouldn't have to list live coaches, allowing those who don't want to talk to remain silent and unseen until the draw for the round.

@SoldierofBodom95 if they utilize the tutorial I linked to it won't use a 3rd party app. HTML & CSS trickery is fairly common these days and not very resource heavy.

The location of the chat box, on which screens it appears, might need some trial and error with a bit of feedback to find something that everyone would enjoy.
Tymless

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 04:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I imagine it would be so much easier if people just joined IRC and had their chats in main. Like it always has existed. You guys are complaining main chat is dead and instead of going there and chatting you want Christer to change it so you can chat without having to join chat.

Weird.

And in case you are wondering Christer has had this implemented before. People stopped using it because they would accidentally change screens and lose the chat and have to reload.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 11:44
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The thing is, this kind of stuff is part of what I sort of want to implement at some point.

A couple of possibilities:

1. Division-wide chat (LFG page, Blackbox page)
2. IM-style messages (quick live-chat between users)
3. Group/League chat

The funny thing is that IRC, at the protocol level, does all this and also handles all sorts of other stuff on top of that. This extra stuff is actually the problem that causes people to shy away: It's too complicated. People don't want to install a new app to chat, they don't want to learn a new set of commands, they don't want to learn how to make the IRC client authenticate, etc etc.

IRC does, however, add a number of very useful things for power users (people who talk a lot in many different channels) such as myself.

So, my (admittedly early and vague) plan is to make a chat on the site that integrates with IRC on the back-end. A couple of technologies I'm looking at:

1. Websockets (socket.io as a framework perhaps) to allow persistent connections between users and the server.
2. Node.js backend that handles users and implements the IRC server protocol I already deal with for Bowlbot.

This would deal with a number of problems on the user-side:

- No client to install
- No need to deal with authentication (as they're authenticated to the site already)
- No need to learn a command set (the UI would have a very limited set of commands)

There are, however, some problems I'd need to overcome:

- Learning Node.js and Socket.io
- Implementing IRC on the node.js server
- Dealing with users who have multiple windows open on the site (don't want multiple connections per user)

None of this is impossible by any means, but it's a lot of effort.

Bottom line here is that it would be an improvement, and I do want to make this happen at some point.. However, it's a pretty significant effort on my part (and I *really* want to get the League changes up and running which also takes a lot of effort).
Kam

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Wouldn't it be easier to add a "join IRC" badge on the site's header linking to tutorials to set up the main IRC clients?

Seriously, setting up a client like xchat to save your nick and auto-join fumbbl is a 3 or 4 steps process...

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to add a "join IRC" badge on the site's header linking to tutorials to set up the main IRC clients?

Seriously, setting up a client like xchat to save your nick and auto-join fumbbl is a 3 or 4 steps process...

Times have moved on. Generally, people are not interested.

Do you still play your 78s on your gramophone?

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Seriously... It doesn't even remotely compare. As Tymless said, you keep complaining the chat is dead, yet you don't bother joining and beg Christer to waste his time to code some ugly stuff instead, that will save you 30 seconds of your life (aka the time it takes to set up an IRC client).

And for your information, the chat boxes you're talking about are as old as your 78s...

Jump to: