43 coaches online • Server time: 16:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:
Seriously... It doesn't even remotely compare. As Tymless said, you keep complaining the chat is dead, yet you don't bother joining and beg Christer to waste his time to code some ugly stuff instead, that will save you 30 seconds of your life (aka the time it takes to set up an IRC client).

And for your information, the chat boxes you're talking about are as old as your 78s...

I am not begging Christer to implement this. My opinion is that it would be a good idea to implement it.

Christer can choose what to spend his effort on depending on how he thinks it will benefit the site. Or also perhaps on what he finds interesting and what he wants/needs to learn.

I really enjoyed 145 Chat back when we had ShadyGlen & Harvestmouse running it. But I never liked #Fumbbl. We seem to have a better crowd now but who is to say that it wouldn't just get nasty again. Maybe that is an argument for not having it too visible. Wink

People who use smallish monitors or devices are not going to bother to switch windows to view the chat. I've tried it. The truth is, I get on with what I am doing and soon forget all about it. If the chat box was on the site I would be more likely to contribute. Or at least see it. But sure, if it just wound up with the same kind of people that it did before I would just switch off the option and maybe never see it again.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Do you still play your 78s on your gramophone?

Recent years have seen vinyl sales double several times, and the LP has outlasted all the other physical music formats.

Some things are just timeless.

IRC Cool

See you all when you come crawling back suckers. Even if it is by way of Christer's stellar implementations.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010

Last edited by Balle2000 on %b %04, %2015 - %13:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Aussiown

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

@Kam I have joined the chat every time I've been logged in to play since I came back a few days ago. I say hi, ask simple questions or try to discuss skill choices and I have NEVER had a reply. Why? Because not many people want to be constantly switching to and from the IRC client or web applet. For me it doesn't matter so much since I've got 3 monitors so I can have it idle on a secondary without affecting me, but it's still an inconvenience.

The other thing that would make these chat boxes different to IRC is they would be league dependent, easily accessible (no switching windows) and designed for coaches playing the same league to chat to each other as opposed to a general chat area that the IRC is (even with the specific channels).

For example, you could be waiting to activate for a box match and someone says in the chat box "you guys should watch Team A vs Team B, it's a tough match! 3 casualties both sides and it's only turn 4" at which point you might think 'wow that sounds awesome!' and go watch. Then post game you could congratulate the coach/es in the chat box and banter about plays.

@Christer I'm no programmer, but I could go digging for some tutorials on how to implement it. If you're keen to learn Node.js I can't recommend www.c9.io enough. It's a full IDE which can run Nods.js and others as well as provide a live webhost for testing your code in practice. You could literally import Fumbbl into it and have a go with your code then test it in the live webspace provided. You can even share the address of the trial space to get a few people in and live to test how it goes with multiple users.

As for quick IM style live chat between users, you could utilise FAcebook style messaging with pop-up chat boxes from the bottom on the screen. This can be done with just Jscript and CSS. Here's a css + javascript guide to implementation: http://qnimate.com/facebook-style-chat-box-popup-using-javascript-and-css/ that may be a good start.

I'm sure you could have it mirror IRC channels, talking directly from the web chat box to the IRC channel in a repeated message style. This would allow power users to utilize the functionality of the IRC within the chat.

You could limit characters per message to allow quick chat without it being filled with essays, so it'd be more twitter-like chat as opposed to a full on discussion panel (which would be hard to fit in without taking up a whole screen itself). Bots could moderate to prevent spam (block full caps messages, block web addresses, prevent copy paste spam etc).

There are so many things that can be done with these style chat boxes today, it's insane.

Though @Christer, I can understand wanting to get some other high priority things done beforehand!
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate a lot of people who are familiar with it like IRC, but I've still yet to see a conversation on it that I didn't start myself when I log on. Perhaps there's channels that you're all on where there is banter galore, but how would any new coach know of them?

IRC is not user friendly, people want something that just lets them click and chat not have to learn the commands for.

As Christer has already said he would be working on a new chat function it's a little redundant to argue whether it would waste his time as it's his time and he's already chosen to spend it this way.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam, you gotta look at this from the perspective of someone who hasn't fully nerded out for the past 25 years or so. The idea of installing a chat client for the sole purpose of facilitating conversations for a game that person spends less than 4-5 hours on per week would be madness.
Kam

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I'm probably too optimistic and believe today's people are not dumber than people 10 years ago who used to install MSN to chat. Smile

Seriously, here is the setup with Xchat (the interface is in French, but you get the idea):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0adcyfxr7vraag/xchat.png?dl=0

1) Enter your username
2) Click the "add channel" button
3) Type "irc.fumbbl.com/667" (actually, the 6667 part is already there since it's the default value)
4), Eventually, add "#FUMBBL" to your favourite channels so the client autojoins it.

I don't think it's too hard with a simple tutorial that shows you how.

But even if it is, someone has posted the URL of a web IRC client in one of the many similar topics that does all the job for you (just follow the URL, enter your nick, and voilĂ , you automatically arrive on FUMBBL server).

EDIT - here you go:

https://client01.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.fumbbl.com&channel=%23fumbbl

(Thanks to Roland)

Seriously, how could you make it simpler than that?

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

people today are definitely less patient, rather than more dumb. they are used to apps n' things doing all the set up stuff for them, like the annoying and ever-present "login with Facebook" stuff you get on websites.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:
Yeah I'm probably too optimistic and believe today's people are not dumber than people 10 years ago who used to install MSN to chat. Smile

Seriously, here is the setup with Xchat (the interface is in French, but you get the idea):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0adcyfxr7vraag/xchat.png?dl=0

1) Enter your username
2) Click the "add channel" button
3) Type "irc.fumbbl.com/667" (actually, the 6667 part is already there since it's the default value)
4), Eventually, add "#FUMBBL" to your favourite channels so the client autojoins it.

I don't think it's too hard with a simple tutorial that shows you how.

But even if it is, someone has posted the URL of a web IRC client in one of the many similar topics that does all the job for you (just follow the URL, enter your nick, and voilĂ , you automatically arrive on FUMBBL server).

EDIT - here you go:

https://client01.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.fumbbl.com&channel=%23fumbbl

(Thanks to Roland)

Seriously, how could you make it simpler than that?

It's not a matter of being stupid or smart, it's a matter of what kind of computer user are you. Trust me Kam, I'm a Network Admin who is almost entirely focused on helping my coworkers figure out how to use technology to do their jobs - some people simply don't see themselves as computer people in any capacity and don't want to make inroads on becoming one.
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2015 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

#fumbbl died the moment lizvis died

Sad to say.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2015 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

Sad to say.

It's like lamenting the loss of a goiter.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2015 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

A FUMBBL TeamSpeak 3 channel would be fun.
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2015 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
licker wrote:

Sad to say.

It's like lamenting the loss of a goiter.

Not lamenting the loss of lizvis, lamenting the loss of an interesting #fumbbl channel.

Sadly, it was because of individuals like him that it had any traffic whatsoever.

I'm still there almost every night, but meh, there's zilch going on.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2015 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

If it wasn't for that goiter we'd have no neck at all.
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2015 - 11:43
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

We had a TeamSpeak server running for a while, but it was very rarely used. That being said, I could most likely set up a new one if there's enough interest.

Not exactly super complicated to do.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2015 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

We had a TeamSpeak server running for a while, but it was very rarely used. That being said, I could most likely set up a new one if there's enough interest.

Not exactly super complicated to do.

It could be used for match commentaries and coaches could talk each other.
 Jump to: