58 coaches online • Server time: 22:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy is back?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wrongfooting

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2015 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm interested in PBEM - FUMBBL has streamlined finding matches than in years past but still getting 1-2 hours together in one sitting is challenging for me. I've PMed tattie5 anyway for further info.

I would love to see the FUMBBL client modified to have a PBEM setting. I've played some games in a makeshift asynchronous format with a friend by loading a test game up on a dedicated machine that we accessed remotely using teamviewer...

I see two issues to surmount:

1) skills requiring the other coach's input slow the game down; sidestep is the worst culprit. Stand Firm could be made an always on skill, same for diving tackle. One solution for SS is to have the option to preselect where you would want your player to move to if blocked in your opponent's turn.

2) An in-game replay function would need to be created; its disconcerting to come back after your opponent's turn and find you're setting up after a TD...especially as with a test game, there is no replay

There is talk around the website about attracting more people...I think this is an unmet need. Of course, when you're talking about people without a lot of time, that means not a lot of asynchronous play would necessarily take place either...but if there was a way to donate towards someone coding for this, I'd front up...
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2015 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

The alternative for you would be a stand alone client. However even so there are problems. I know javabowl and botocs don't use the latest version of Java. I'm not sure about Grod's, however that's not that easy for progression.

The other being direct connecting is a bit of an art form. However with one of these, you could in theory play a few turns, and then come back to it later.
Deniz87

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2015 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

uh a fumbbl client modified for pbem would be great.
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2015 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Wrongfooting,
you'd be very welcome in my play by email League if you want.
However, the NeXT season doesn't start until february 2016.

As for skills requiring opponents response mid turn, there is a gentlemans agreement to try to think for your opponent a bit. So if you use frenzy to attack a Dodge opponent near the sideline, then you're expected to consider the possibility that he would rather disable Dodge than get surfed. Side step has an automated feature where the client picks a Square. That said - occasionally, when it is important, this results in an extra email. But it isn't often.

Cheers
Martin
Badoek

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2015 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I noticed in the PBEM client there's an option to assign a possible side-step destination. Does that feature work?
If so, that would mean when you have a SS player, during your turn you tell the client where the side stepper would move to if he were to be blocked next turn. Should work for most instances I'd say.

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2015 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone know how Ball & Chain works in the PBEM client? How do I move that Fanatic?

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2015 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Side step preprogramming works.
Still requires your oppo to be a gent if you end up doing a horrible step.

As for B&C there is a feature under special actions called random movement. That works too Smile
Badoek

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2015 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks! I'd missed the random movement action.

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2015 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

plasmoid wrote:
Side step preprogramming works.
Still requires your oppo to be a gent if you end up doing a horrible step.

As for B&C there is a feature under special actions called random movement. That works too Smile

I can't find the random movement feature O_o
Neither in the menu bar nor the RMB drop down. Just to in case: I'm using the 1.0e version.
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2015 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Right click the player > Targeted Actions > Throw-In Movement

I hope that works
Badoek

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2015 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

plasmoid wrote:
Right click the player > Targeted Actions > Throw-In Movement

I hope that works

Aaaaah there it is, thanks! And he's still up too. Wink
SidneyKidney

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2015 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I might be interested in PBEM, how would I give it a try?
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2015 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi SidneyKidney,
I have a League, but we play some house ruled rosters (NTBB). 36 teams this season. You could come by the forum and look for a friendly game, but we're fixed Schedule and the NeXT season doesn't begin until march 1st.

You could also contact Tattie5 here. He runs a straight CRP League.
Cheers
Martin
Badoek

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2015 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

And we've just started an Open League, so you could start playing very soon.

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2015 - 06:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Another question (man, Ball & Chain is fun!): how do you block your own players (with the Fanatic)?

edit: apparently there's those big dice in the lower part of the screen I had overlooked. Great stuff for manual stuff like this. Hehe.
 Jump to: