32 coaches online • Server time: 19:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Marasai

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 03:09 Reply with quote Back to top

good advice. I get that mistake lets hope i can stop making it
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 03:42 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
identify the silly move

vow never to do it again

end up doing it again anyway

repeat

This is the best explanation for Bloodbowl strategy I've ever heard. I may have to get its tattooed on me. I guess I'll settle for a T-Shirt.

Jeffro
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 04:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Marasai wrote:
So I've come to realize I'm really bad at this game. From my many losses I see that although I get the rules I just play really badly. The culmination is the knockout round league game I threw away by deciding to hand off the ball to a player I thought needed the SPP instead of just walking in and winning with my SP hog.

How does one mentally rally? I love this game but it leaves me hating myself.

Bloodbowl Zen. Accept that you will make mistakes (and learn from them), that your players die (and you'll make new ones), and that you will lose games (but keep focused on the win). Even good coaches will often get grumpy after a mistake or a streak of bad luck, and make poorer decisions because of it. It's hard to be a great coach without some measure of BB zen. The game has an intensely long learning curve (after about 3000 games I don't think I'm done learning; I do enjoy teaching it though).

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 07:27 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Here you go

^this

If you want to read more, try this:
https://fumbbl.com/help:Thousand+Losses+Playbook

Spectate good coaches!
Play against good coaches!
And play lots of games!
Throweck

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 09:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Some really good advice on here mate. Kudos for this approach rather than the 'The dice are bad on here all the time/the RNG is broken it doesn't happen like this on TT/boo hoo I'm a in a grump because I don't win as much as I think I should' blogs you see sometimes.

As stated before, you have achieved the first step to better play. Realising that although the dice are a huge part of the game, ultimately it's skill that is needed. It took me ages to realise I had to prioritise movement and positioning before rolling the crucial dice.

I am still not the greatest coach but I do feel like I have improved in the last (nearly) 3 years being on this site. That didn't start until I realised I have to stop blaming dice and realise it's me.

You'll get better in no time now because you want to. Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2015 - 02:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well it's going to take lots of time to get better for sure. Thanks for the help so far. It's really intimidating though knowing that each game goes on your record for eternity.
Tomay

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2015 - 05:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll keep saying it:
1. Watch replays of good coaches (look at set ups, blitzing, positioning, tempo, how and when they turn the ball over, how they build their players, how they use their blitz)
2. Watch replays of good coaches using the teams you're using
3. Be critical of yourself and ask yourself what you could have done better regardless of winning, losing or dice rolls

My pick for some good coaches from a variety of teams and styles: erikekers, the_provocateur, stonetroll, azure, purplegoo, pigstar-69, faulcon.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2015 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been in that place man. I knew I couldn't enjoy Blood Bowl at the level I was, I was too frustrated with myself. There were only two choices: Get better, or get out. Some coaches on Fumbbl play hundreds or even thousands of games and don't really care that they make mistakes and lose a lot of games. But I'm not like that and it seems you aren't either. So hang in there and get better. Read playbooks. Spec games. Watch replays. Especially your own replays, analyzing your mistakes. Focus on one or two things at a time, and improve. Know that it will take time and effort.

The best way to cope is to become the coach you want to be.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2015 - 09:13
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

From my team blog.

ramchop wrote:
A 2-0 loss, time to reassess things. I think I may need to put the hard yards in. Study tactics, spectate more games involving good coaches, grab me a mentor, watch norse games (with good norse coaches). Nah, sounds like too much hard work. I'll learn the old fashion way by continuing to stuff things up and (hopefully) remembering what not to do in future. Much more fun that way - and I am having a blast Very Happy

I feel I'm improving. But results for this particular team tells me otherwise. There is a lot you can get out of FUMBBL. Personally I like the challenge, the community (SWL and DIBBL), the perpetual development I can't get in my TT league, and the fluff. Winning is good, but for me it's still rare enough that i can treasure them all. Very Happy
Beanchilla

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2015 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm very new but I have found that in this game, and others, if I focus on winning too much then it loses it's charm. This game is supposed to be fun and as you develop your own unique teams with skills that fit your play-style it should get more enjoyable as well.

I don't think BB requires any higher standard of intelligence or commonsense, at least not more than any other strategy game, but it does require more patience since it's games are over an hour and you have to be ready for random screw-ups with each passing turn.

Just try to focus less on winning a game and more on getting better at playing with your teams. Watch replays, watch people play your race and just try to see what works and what doesn't. If doing that isn't fun then take a break.

Here's a great resource for all sorts of Fumbbl images!
Marasai

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2015 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I've started studying some, still need to more, but I feel like I'm losing even more.

Am I just too stupid?

Last edited by Marasai on Dec 15, 2015 - 02:44; edited 1 time in total
DeathJester74

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2015 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

First thing you need to do is build a Chaos or Nurgle team. Then focus on leveling up your players only picking skills in this order: Block-->Mighty Blow-->Claw-->Piling On-->Tackle. After that take a final skill that is fun to you or fits you play style. From there focus only on destroying as many players on the other team as possible, do not be concerned about scoring or anything like that. Your enjoyment level will go through the roof and you will never be able to get enough!!
Marasai

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2015 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I think i'm too dumb to even make CPOMB work
tussock

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2015 - 03:13 Reply with quote Back to top

You're really new. Under 100 games, no team played even 20 yet, I've got 350+ and teams up over 40 games and I'm still surprised by new tactics in response to my slowly improving game.

Looking at a couple of your recent matches, you don't seem to be set to change plans, like you'll pile up a wing and have no other option if it doesn't work out, can't cut back and switch sides in that case. Giving yourself options gives your opponents more to cover and makes it easier to stick to the original plan. That took me a long time to learn. Smile

Doesn't help when your opponent clears the ball with an 8+ pass of course. But you are getting better since you started this thread, and were never that bad in the first place.

https://fumbbl.com/p/coachdevel?c=Marasai&r=0&d=0

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2015 - 03:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Check the stats to look whether you're actually losing more, or if it's just a flawed perception. It sometimes takes awhile for studying to sink in and become effective.
 Jump to: