57 coaches online • Server time: 20:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2016 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

To be accurate in recent WH40k fluff the Squats are called Demiurg, although they don't have a Codex and a figure line they are mentioned in the Tau fluff as allies.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Demiurg
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2016 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Fish, bear, fly, walrus.....you name it.

I laughed out loud. Always enjoy these mouse lectures.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2016 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Mouse --- thanks! I really enjoyed that trip back through my drug-addled teenage and early 20s years!

Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2016 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Impressive Warhammer-lore, Harvestmouse! I remember the squat land train - think I had the mini for that when I was a kid. Funny how it had the dwarven runes on it, as well Smile

I was just thinking, it would be cool to have a 40k version of Blood Bowl, although I'm sure someone's thought of if before. Could have bionic implants and a frisbee instead of a ball (like in Tron). Not sure how you'd make tyranids follow the rules, though .. Wink

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
happygrue

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2016 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with the masses - great write up HM! Maybe it's not to late and get it into the GLN 17 as the first part of what I hope is a long series of "harvestmouse does lore". Very Happy

EDIT: Or touching it up some other way, I know GLN is supposed to be new content, but perhaps it could be one half of another bit if you had anything else you wanted to add. Very Happy

People need to know this stuff!

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2016 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
Impressive Warhammer-lore, Harvestmouse! I remember the squat land train - think I had the mini for that when I was a kid. Funny how it had the dwarven runes on it, as well Smile

I was just thinking, it would be cool to have a 40k version of Blood Bowl, although I'm sure someone's thought of if before. Could have bionic implants and a frisbee instead of a ball (like in Tron). Not sure how you'd make tyranids follow the rules, though .. Wink

Space Marines.

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2016 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, thank you for the kind comments. I actually thought even Harad would have TLDRed it lol.

JellyBelly wrote:

Garion did a Speedball pitch, it's pretty cool. I had an idea to do a Tron pitch. With the motorcycle lines being the centre and wide zone marker lines.

BB has masses of scope. You can make any version of it you like. Star Wars, LoTR, Pokemon, Marvel what ever is your fancy.

I think there's a lot of scope for adding 40k 'style' rosters to existing BB.

As I said earlier Ork and Eldar fluff is so amazingly strong you could easily put the fluff onto Orcs and Elves.

Tyranids maybe difficult....but something organic maybe?

I did do a genestealer roster though some time ago.....I guess I could tidy that page up a bit. Also it'd be very BB humour to give them a name like The Pit of Berg Stealers or some such.

https://fumbbl.com/help:StealerClan

Would be a bit of fun, I intend to give them a go some day.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2016 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to add slightly to the Squat recap: There are a bunch of oldhammer gamers around now, and a lot of them have blogs, and what I remember from an interview one of them did with one of the old school GW staff was: a new version of 40k came out (probably 3rd, iirc) and the game designers/codex writers came to Squats and just weren't inspired. They had nothing much more than "space dwarves" and the previous version's "midget Hell's Angel" look to work with and didn't feel they could add anything new or interesting, either fluff or aesthetic wise, so decided not to bother. And that was the end of the Squats.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2016 - 07:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Although I never got into Warhammer I will chime in on happygrue's suggestion. Harverstmouse Does High Lore!

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2016 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

That genestealer BB roster is a very interesting idea, with the different generations - I like it! It's certainly different.

I just checked out GW for the first time in years, out of nostalgia, to find that they've actually scrapped Warhammer Fantasy in favour of some new 'Age of Sigmar' thing. I read a couple of reviews and it sounds terrible! Seems like their model is: 1. Start with a good thing. 2. Change it so much that everyone has to buy it again, but ruin it in the process. 3. Scrap it because it's not making the numbers (probably because you've just ruined it).

What a bunch of chumps.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2016 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
To be accurate in recent WH40k fluff the Squats are called Demiurg, although they don't have a Codex and a figure line they are mentioned in the Tau fluff as allies.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Demiurg

That's not quite correct, Squats are mentioned in the 6th edition 40K book under abhumans. so they do still exist in the 40K world.
There was rumours that the Demiurg would be GW's attempt to do a sci-fi dwarf race correctly without all the baggage of squats. I don't think they got much beyond a battlefleet gothic ship.

I was an avid squat collector back in the rouge trader days and was pretty annoyed when they were dropped. When you look at how much orks changed in both stats and background they could easily have done the same for squats. The sample 2nd edition models they made were pretty nice too, at least as good as the stuff they made for the other races at that time.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2016 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Additional: All miniatures in your collection must be Games Workshop miniatures and be fully assembled, painted and based. Each model must fully represent what you have presented on your team roster, and be 100% obvious which player they are.

This made me laugh. Stop supporting a game and making models then run a tournament banning the use of players that BB players have had no option but to buy since you stopped making the bloody things in the first place. They are just such *snip*.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2016 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Not at all. They have to do this 'if' they want to get back in the game. Whether it was a good idea to get back into the game and how they handle it is what will make them look like (the R word) or not.

Also you have to remember who are their main punters. Obviously they want as wide a range of players as possible. However the established community are not generally big figure collectors. It's the GW fanboys more than the TT scene who are GWs target. I say more rather than just.

Also figures have always been available, fantasy figures anyway. Spubbbba mainly uses GW figures and it doesn't cause him that many problems (ok he has a lot of talent).

GW will not try to educate players on how to use their figures over 3rd party options. Personally from a hobby point of view I think it's a good thing, but that's me.
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2016 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

They don't. It's just another thing that will piss people off. The correct way from a perspective of getting as many people as possible onside to handle it would have been to accept they left the game and it was kept alive by the fans outside of anything GW did. That they both old and new players who wanted a new team or to add players (baring the 1% who can use green stuff well) really often had no reliable option but to buy at least some 3rd party figures. Then gradually over a number of years as models are brought out tighten the restrictions over where the models come from. That is what I would consider a reasonable balance between previous actions of dumping the game and protecting your game now you fancy reviving it.

DLE College 7s
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2016 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Well.........let's say the game did die off. Which is better for GW? I don't know, it might have been better for them that it had died and when it came back it was nice and fresh.

In fact rulewise it most certainly would be. The amount of negative feedback GW have already got and that's only going to get worse.......much much worse from the established community isn't going to be good for business. I think the community is going to be a non profit making pain in the butt for GW.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point and agree partly. However GW owe us nothing (it's their game), and I doubt they'll gain much from the community.

I also think that to some extent the 3rd party industry is a bit of a sore. It's all for profit, very few companies actually invest or enhance the game (Impact and FF Fields are 2 companies off the top of my head that do invest and enhance the game).

We'll have to see what happens. Maybe a licencing scheme would be better (but that's not the GW way).
 Jump to: