20 coaches online • Server time: 02:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Dlock

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2016 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello.

Guick question Doc D.Stu - what is postcast?

- D
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2016 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

An autocorrect version of your momma

Sorry I meant podcast. Autocorrect causing havoc

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2016 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

And that's "the champ" to you

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Dlock

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2016 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, well, thanks but what is podcast then?

Radio thingo, I assume... or, youtube channel or whatnot?

- D
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 01:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh? I thought you were joking

Podcasts are basically downloadable Internet radio. There are millions on various subjects. There are around 7 regular podcasts for blood bowl. 'Three die block' is the original and most listened to

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
ramchop

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 07:54
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

OK, another list. This one is far from perfect as I haven't gone through and picked out the fringe games. I have dropped SWL Losers (113 games) and Mr Whippy's Donut Boys (161 games) as I don't think they played more than 100 games of SWL proper. Please let me know if you think there are others on the list who should not be there.

400 games
Image Slumbering Skink (Faulcon) - 434 games

200 games
Image Angry Asgardians (Toonie) - 215 games
Image Good, Bad, Furry (eganra) - 202 games

100 games (27 teams)
ImageCitadel Ancients (theopacman) - 198 games
ImageWonga Wonga Whalekillers (Balle2000) - 159 games
ImageGerman Vermin (Symmetrical) - 157 games
ImagePsych Lab (eganra) - 156 games
ImageZen Adepts (FLo711) - 156 games
ImageLarge Head-on Colliders (Barre) - 151 games
ImageIntoxicated Mayhem (Erickan) - 148 games
ImageSchola (Quod) - 141 games
ImageBlackwater Blitz (Chavo) - 135 games
ImageBBQ Wednesday Regulars (danielcollins) - 129 games
ImageNorscia Bezerkers (BloodReaper) - 125 games
ImageWe Fink Wer Orks (Laviak) - 125 games
ImageBlackwater Sting (Chavo) - 124 games
ImageBlack Crowes (ozjesting) - 123 games
ImageAgitate (eagle009) - 121 games
ImageHorrors Of Skye (JoeKano) - 120 games
ImageBlack Swans (Irgy) - 118 games
ImageTribute to Alan Parsons (polemarch) - 118 games
ImageGumbeast United (gumbi) - 110 games
ImageVanguard of the Southern Ark (Snorri) - 107 games
ImagePublic Service Announcement (Daudy) - 104 games
ImageCarlton United (Twahn) - 104 games
ImageStalingrad's White Stallions (harvestmouse) - 103 games
ImageUnited Abominations (Dark_Lord) - 103 games
ImageBrisbane Boncos (Miyuso) - 102 games
ImageAberration Theatre (justbob) - 102 games
ImageMexican Standoff (Smegish) - 100 games

50 games
78 teams

Out of a total of 608 teams
Average - 33 games
Median - 22 games

Races that haven't made 100:
Chaos Pact, Dwarf, Elf, Goblin, Halfling, Ogre, Undead, Underworld, Vampire, Wood Elf
RedMaul

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 08:00 Reply with quote Back to top

RC that's a nastee list bruh. Good work.
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2016 - 08:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I DEMAND AN INVESTIGATION! THE GOBLINS MUST PAY!

Post 14 Posted: Feb 11, 2016 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

DrDiscoStu wrote:
And I highly recommend listening to three die blocks latest postcast, especially the 'cheering fans' section...

haha - nice work.

Thanks for the shout-out, champ Very Happy

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2016 - 06:56 Reply with quote Back to top

How do I get this podcast?

Just google "three die blocks podcast"?

Heh, followed my own idea and there it was... I'll give this a go when time.

thanks for the tip "Chump".

- D
Tomay

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2016 - 07:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Not long to go and he can drop that title and go back to being regular old stu.

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2016 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

So what I want to highlight is what my approach is to SWL, baring in mind that this is not the box or ranked, we have a much smaller community and we rely on each other for it to work. The SWL community has always had the view of the US vs FUMBBL mentality. This league was built on the belief that we are much more awesome than the greater FUMBBL community, we respect each other first and won’t lower ourselves to behave the way that is common amongst rankers.

This post is in no way a rulings post made in any official capacity it is solely intended to highlight what I believe is an issue and to encourage the members of SWL to reflect on their actions.

The culture of the SWL is changing. We’re moving from a competitive but friendly community built on respect and camaraderie and are heading towards a slippery slope of ultra competitiveness, disregard of our opponents and poor sportsmanship. Luckily, we aren’t quite there yet, but I fear that if we continue in this trend we will suffer the same fate of the European and American leagues with lower participation rates and domination by a sub group of ultra competitive players who like to push the boundaries.

I believe that this culture is somewhat tied in to the greater FUMBBL community and the current rule set, but still believe we can overcome it in SWL if our community is more mindful of each other’s enjoyment.

Some worrying trends I see emerging are:
- Blaming losses solely on luck.
- Deliberate targeting of opposition star players at the expense of good tactical play.
- Spiteful maiming of an opponents team when they have secured a victory.
- Complaining about an opponents play style.

So basically my approach to the league is that I am a senior member of the community and I like to act with integrity and take responsibility for my role in fostering a good environment. Below are some examples of how I like to do this:

If my opponent is new to the league, the game in general or isn’t very good I will try to secure a victory and get as many SPP out of the game as possible BUT I will also be as friendly and encouraging as possible and try to avoid inflicting any unnecessary damage to their team. I often do this by avoiding fouls where possible and by targeting unskilled players with my blocks to get SPP. Sometimes I offer tactical advice after the game and generally encourage them to engage with the community.

If my opponent’s team is far understrength and in rebuild it’s the same as above. I will try and secure victory first but be mindful of the fact that they are tryng to build their team back up. I don’t want to put an already understrength team back to square one, it doesn’t benefit me in any way and only ruins the enjoyment for someone else.

I always wish my opponent luck, ask how they are doing, thank them for the game and congratulate them if they won.

If my opponent is a trash talker, rival or a veteran that I know can handle it I will go all out. I am very clear on the people that fall into this category (Faulcon, Balle2000, Luohghcra, etc). I will mercilessly try and take out a legendary player and pull out all the stops to win. That said, I still don’t think I’d totally decimate a team if I was on the verge of pitch clearing or something. You’ve got to know when enough is enough and I want these rivalries to continue.

If my opponent dishes it out themselves I will happily play without mercy. If they have a reputation for dismantling opposing teams, have multiple clawpombers or are notorious foulers I will give it back to them. Anyone from my opponents team who has a good chance of hurting my guys will be targeted in the name of self preservation. These guys deserve a good drumming every now and again and the coaches are usually accepting of this fact.

If my opponent is having a good run of luck I try not to take away their enjoyment by moaning and complaining. This is an area I used to be better at and am striving to improve but one that I think is important. If you participate in the SWL you know that runs of luck both ways are inevitable. You also know that you want to enjoy your good runs as much as possible before the inevitable downturn. With this in mind, I try to maintain good sportsmanship, congratulate my opponent and encourage them to enjoy the game. Taking the fun out of it for my opponent would result in a net loss of enjoyment, which hurts the league.

If my opponent has me beat and I know there is very little I can do, I try and protect my team and make it easy on them to leave me alone. I might leave guys prone, move away from my opposition so as not to present a threat. If you decide to keep flogging a dead horse with a lone gutter runner on -2d blocks, don’t be surprised when he gets booted. I believe that inducements and journeymen have made some players a little careless in the SWL and coaches need to realise when its time to switch from win mode to preservation mode. If your opponent is in preservation mode and not presenting a threat to the result, let them be.

I will call people out for acting against the interests of the league. If someone is a jerk or pushes the rules a bit I will call them out publicly but aim to keep it friendly in nature. Personal attacks are not ok, ribbing someone for being weak after conceding is. The recent events with Carl is a good example, he was called out for fouling but everyone kept it friendly.

If you’re one of these CLAWPOMB guys use the skill stack as a means to secure victory but not to unnecessarily demolish an opponents team. If we have a handful of teams acting like WMDs in this environment, it will kill the league. With the power of these skills comes the responsibility to use them appropriately in this setting. You might even find your overall results improve with some guys left standing every now and again.

Be mindful of your opponents enjoyment, try and see the game and league from their perspective and try to act in a way that increases net enjoyment – in the end it will come back around.

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2016 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

STFU you dirty lucker.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2016 - 04:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay wrote:
Not long to go and he can drop that title and go back to being regular old stu.

I have got to disagree. I am the champ until someone removes me. Since I couldn't play this season, I am still the champ next season. If I fail to promote from conference I will accept no longer being the champ. If I promote, I will be the champ the season after.

I will think of this seasons winner as the interim.

As per your other excellent post, it is very well said. SWL is better than fumbbl because we play as a community, and behave as though we are face to face.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Irgy

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2016 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

This all seems pretty soft to me. When I joined it was OldBugman killing your players and T16 fouling and no-one batting an eyelid. To my mind whining about team builds, getting beat up or being fouled is the new, recent development.
 Jump to: