24 coaches online • Server time: 09:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 03:21 Reply with quote Back to top

This forum is nearly entirely made up of threads about "what skill should I get for X player". Every now and again we get a different thread and I haven't seen this discussed here before, at least, it doesn't get discussed often. This is a relatively new, inexperienced member. As amusing as the Fight Club responses are, can we please keep them on topic?

I have read the Kalle breakdown, I thought it was interesting that the he has avoided the secret weapon stars. I also found it a little hard to totally respect since he thinks that Eldril isn't very good. But certainly, it was enough I think the OP would get a lot of. Also, I like Ramtut. I know Wrestle isn't Block, but as long as it isn't a turnover, I think he is pretty good. No Count Luther though.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 03:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Who mentioned fight club? in fact, isn't that RULE #1 NOT to do so!?. Dude, come on.....

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 03:56 Reply with quote Back to top

DrDiscoStu wrote:
This forum is nearly entirely made up of threads about "what skill should I get for X player". Every now and again we get a different thread and I haven't seen this discussed here before, at least, it doesn't get discussed often. This is a relatively new, inexperienced member. As amusing as the Fight Club responses are, can we please keep them on topic?

I have read the Kalle breakdown, I thought it was interesting that the he has avoided the secret weapon stars. I also found it a little hard to totally respect since he thinks that Eldril isn't very good. But certainly, it was enough I think the OP would get a lot of. Also, I like Ramtut. I know Wrestle isn't Block, but as long as it isn't a turnover, I think he is pretty good. No Count Luther though.

I didn't read it (Kalle's article). I just did what the OP should have done in the first place and searched Google.

The fact he didn't and the fact he one of the worst culprits in the last few weeks for 'What skill for my Orc lino?' suggests to me why it went off topic and wasn't taken seriously.

Personally, I'm very much of the 'teach a man to fish' rather than 'keep catching fish for the man'.

However as the OP personally sourced the GLN article. That also suggests he's the type of guy that can learn and is learning how to fish very well.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 04:09 Reply with quote Back to top

All fair points, HM, in fairness even after you mentioned it I tried to google it a few times before I got success. Also I thought your response was very useful, the article was still an interesting read.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Tomay

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 06:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm interested in people's thoughts on this too.

Also, I don't think that he should have google searched it to look on the rest of the internet when FUMBBL is an excellent resource. Furthermore, the article mentioned was from 2011 and is quite controversial and far from comprehensive.

If he is asking questions about skills in here and it bothers you, don't answer and let the thread die. We need to be more welcoming to new players to the game - it is a very complex one.

Back on track:

The best stars seem to be Edril and SillyBilly off the top of my head. Morg is rarely worth it.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 07:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Silibili is one of the few stars worth taking instead of a wizard + babes
Aside from being pretty good for the price (plus the all important block) he allows you to play one less skink, which is a really big deal

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 07:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Well he did ask for a list, not opinions. FUMBBL doesn't have sucha list. I think my original response was fair.

I'm not saying it's the case with this guy, but he has started a lot of threads recently. I'm dubious as to how many were needed.

I knew the article I described existed. I did a simple google search, it came up and I was satisfied it wasn't hard to find. So I made the comment and encouraged him to go and look for himself.

I'm not making a comment about the OP here, if I thought this about him I'd have done as you said, not commented. However far too often on all sorts of forums we see people ask questions that are very simple to get the answer. So you see people do google searches for them and link the information. The OP spends 20 seconds writing a question. The person who replies spends a few minutes sourcing the answer. What happens next time the OP has a question? He knows where to go to suckle milk with minimal effort.

So I gave plausible reasoning to Disco why I thought the thread had been deliberately derailed. Personally I'm sick of some of the pointless threads we have on here, I guess others are too. Reality is though it's none of my business and without them we'd probably have almost nothing.
Medon

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Furious George is also pretty good value for money
almic85

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Back to the OP I ahven't seen a list anywhere but the GLN story is a good starting point.

It really depends on what team you have, what skills your guys have (and don't have) and what team you are playing and what skills they have. The usefulness of each star player is different each game.

Currently playing as an Underworld coach in the SWL and constantly playing up 500+TV I have tried a few different stars and inducement combinations.
Skitter is excellent against low AV teams because of stab and fills a need for speed in my team.
Glart gives muscle if needed at a reasonable price.
Morg is over priced for what he is, but I would only really take him if I could get a second star from inducements plus a wizard or some babes.

I know it is not your question but I think conventional wisdom on FUMBBL is if you get inducements wizard is your first port, babes are your second port and then star players if you can afford them.

On top of that I don't think most "competitive" coaches on FUMBBL really worry about star players as ranked and box both essentially TV match so you will usually not get enough inducements to warrant a star player.

If you're interested join the Fringe
Seventyone

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I want Trump: can't think of a better bloodbowl player, plus his hair is almost as silly as Griff's chicken helmet.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Most racial guides include some advice on the available star players.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
Most racial guides include some advice on the available star players.

Yeah, bbtactics or sites along those lines that have comprehensive guides for each race would be the best bet.

If someone doesn't play elf teams there's no point telling them how great Eldril is. Each race can only have the 6 stars they are assigned.

Another thing to consider is the fun factor, Puggy let's humans TTM whilst Dwarfs with Boomer make for an interesting game. These may not be the most cost effective use of inducements for a specific game though.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I love Boomer I basically get him whenever I can. Very Happy
sonrises

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2016 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Best way to know which STAR PLAYERS are best or worth the money is...PLAY WITH THEM IN YOUR TEAM!!!

But...How do i manage to test the STAR PLAYERS regularly????

Easy my friends!!!! Join us in ALL STARS!! and luckily enough...We are recruiting now!!!

Read below and join us!!!

RECRUITING NOW!!
Holy Inquisition Estalia Major II

What are ALL STARS tournaments about?
ALL STARS is about having fun with STAR PLAYERS and CUSTOM HOUSE RULES.
We let teams hire STARS PLAYERS and MERCS each game. Two Star Players will join all teams participating in the tournament every game.

Nice, Do you customise something else?
Yes we do. We give free inducments to teams but some ruling apply. Read about this below.

ALL STAR RULES

A ridiculous amount of INDUCEMENT money will be available at the start of the game. Buy the following with this money:

* Get 2 x Star Players each game. You MUST buy 2 star players each game. Add Mercs with 1 skill if you wish so. Mercs are OPTIONAL. Team with lower TV chooses Star Players first and opponent can NOT choose same Star Players.
ImageImageImageImageImage

* Get 2 x Babes and 1 x Apos (or 1 x IGOR) each Game too. ALL RACES MUST buy those at the begining of the game
ImageImageImageImage

* OGRES + HALFLINGS + GOBLINS can use an extra 450k to buy any other inducement. Only these 3 races are allowed to spend this extra money on top of the 2 Babes and 1 Apo (or Igor) that all races get.
Extra 450k to spend
ImageImageImage

* Balance TEAM TV: You will need to calculate the TV difference between the 2 teams playing. Team with lower TV gets Extra INDUCMENT money to spend worth the difference. Just like the client does automatically, but here you need to calculate it mannually. Very easy.

Extra inducement money for the underdog team

(Team A Real TV) minus (Team B Real TV) = Spendable Inducement money for the underdog team
Real Team TV= Team TV + Star Players value + Mercs value

Note: Babes, apos, igor or any inducement bought by OGRES-HALFING-GOBLINS with the 450k Extra money are NOT counted to calculate the Real Team TV. Only counts, current Team TV + Star players + mercs.

1. House rules that empower FOULING are activated. This is:
** +1 to FOULING
** Sneaky Git player sent to Ko box instead
** Sneaky Git works like GUARD when fouling.

2. ALL-STARS wellcomes C-POMBERS. However, a small nerf it is applied.
** Piling On player is knocked out when rolling a double on armour or injury rolls.
Well, the guy doesn't land on a pillow!. Chances are 1/6 to be knocked out per each roll. No other C-POMB nerfs will be applied.

3. Right Stuff prevents the Tackle skill when blocked

RECRUITMENT/TOURNAMENT INFO

1. STARTS:
Holy Inquisition Estalia Major II starts 2nd week of May 2516.

2. FORMAT:
SHORT Regular season (3-5 games depending on final demand) + Play-Off (Best regular season teams qualy for a 3 rounds KO tournament main event.

3. TV/TW:
NO limit.

4. RACES:
All Races allowed. This include SYMIANS

5. APPLY HERE:

APPLY HERE

READ MORE HERE
 Jump to: