21 coaches online • Server time: 03:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DeathJester74

Post   Posted: May 04, 2016 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Painting is beneath me, I hire underlings for that kind of thing.
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: May 04, 2016 - 04:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I have off and on painted my guys since I started playing Roll play games. I am better, but I lack the skills to make a BB team look Pro. I find it relaxing, but lately Ive been looking at them more than painting. I cant figure out colour schemes.

Jeffro
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: May 06, 2016 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

My Orc team...

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/391044006139390891/961650D86E342123760347AEDE4B9FEF450FCD7F/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1536&composite-to=*,*|2048:1536&background-color=black

And my Elf team...

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/391044006139387478/DA9A33E9A0CB7FF2D2F48FBA24AD513FC1E96969/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1536&composite-to=*,*|2048:1536&background-color=black

And my Norse team (mostly done)...

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/391044006139241589/0E76BADBAD6F18BA3950214AA71BCC5B603A29A0/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1536&composite-to=*,*|2048:1536&background-color=black

Post   Posted: May 06, 2016 - 06:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I started ~12 years ago thanks to a rat bast... of a friend who played skaven for Warhammer fantasy. I picked up lizardmen and started trying to paint shortly after... the memory of my first attempts at painting the Cold One Cav. still haunt my dreams... they were Terrible.
I'm much better these days, but still learning.

recently bought an air brush so I'm learning how to paint with that now. it's certainly a lot different than a brush.
astrosimian

Post   Posted: May 06, 2016 - 07:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been painting miniatures since I was about 15 (mid '80s). Pretty much self taught following tips and tricks found in White Dwarf (before 'Eavy Metal degenerated into "Paint The Citadel Way!") and talking to the few friends I had who were gamers.

Nowadays, there are heaps of painting resources, forums, online clinics, YouTube videos available but NOTHING beats getting stuck in and practising your craft. If you are lucky enough to have a hobby store where someone will teach a few tips and tricks, dive in and pick their brains!

Biggest piece of advice I can give is paint miniatures that excite you. Anything that doesn't give a little excited shiver running down your spine will become a chore and tend to lead to a "Meh" result and/or lead to being set aside.

Other pieces of advice I can provide are:

I primarily paint on a white undercoat to preserve intensity of colours but black undercoat is great for beginners as the black gives instant shading and hides missed spots well.

They may seem expensive at first but I buy my paint brushes (pure sable) from art supply shops, not game stores. Properly cared for, they last longer and give better results than typical hobby-quality brushes.

Starting out, just strive for clean, neat painting of base colours. Shades, highlights, and more advanced techniques can come later.

Research real life sports teams, find a scheme you like and try to replicate it; it's not plagiarism, it's an homage. Wink That said, don't be afraid to experiment with colours that excite you.

Oh, and paint umder LOTS of bright, natural (if possible) light.

My Halflings: (I loved painting these guys, they were a joy to paint)

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b500/Astrosimian/image.jpg1_zps15r42mn0.jpg

Start of some Underworld goblins: (scheme loosely based on the Philadelphia Flyers.)

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b500/Astrosimian/image_zps7ixlsi6e.jpeg

A line-elf: (I like the colour scheme but I'm not thrilled about the minis so this team has been languishing in painting limbo for about 2 years. My halflings I finished in about 3-4 months.)

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b500/Astrosimian/imagejpg1_zpsac5df696.jpg
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: May 06, 2016 - 09:55
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I started when I was 7, with a blister of metal space wolves and a single Space Wolf Grey paint. I then got a box of the classic plastic Goblins, and aged 9 picked up 3rd edition BB when it was released Very Happy

My painting has all been self-taught. I'm not great at it, but can make things look decent. I have a few models I'm really proud of, but painting whole armies is beyond my concentration levels. I learned mainly from reading White Dwarf painting tips, and those painting guide mags they did occasionally. Useful for picking up techniques like dry brushing and painting eyes which I hadn't learned at the time.

A separate point someone may be able to help me with - I'm actually looking at getting back into doing some painting, but it's been about 8 years since I last picked up a brush. I feel I could still do it, but now own no paints or brushes that are any good. What are people using these days? Are there any decent kits that provide all the basics? I don't wanna spend a fortune on paints for the sake of painting one team (which is the project I've taken up)

@spubbbba: Dunno if it's just me but I can't see any photos in any of your blogs anymore.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
xnoelx

Post   Posted: May 06, 2016 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

The paints most serious painters love at the moment are Scale 75. Though P3 & Vallejo get some love and even GW still have their fans. Or Coat D'Arms do most of the classic original GW paints from our youth.

For brushes, Windsor & Newton or Rosemary & Co are most popular, with Broken Toad and a few others I forget the names of slightly behind. And airbrushes are huge now.

With all these things though, of course the best thing is to try and see what works for you.

Oh, and I can still see photos in some of spubbbba's blogs, but quite a lot of the older ones have gone.

Post   Posted: May 06, 2016 - 12:29
FUMBBL Staff

Cheers xnoelx. I'd like a good mix of colours but don't wanna be buying a whole case of paints. I'll take a look at some you recommended.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Fortis

Post   Posted: May 06, 2016 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't want serious painter paints if you're a beginner, you want beginner paints.

Which team do you want to paint? I'd be buying a Willy team or some other set from here: http://www.comixininos.com/

For easy mode painting you want to undercoat white with cheap matt spraypaint from a hardware store. The matt is super important. You also want to get a can of "dullcoat" spray on matt varnish while you're at the hardware store.

You then want to get a set of washes and basic paints as well as some cheap brushes from an art store. You don't need to shell out for Windsor & Newtons or something expensive because you won't know the difference as a beginner painter. Get cheap sables from the art store if you can, but synthetics are fine too.

For paints you need to get the set of washes and a basic set of colours. Army Painter washes are amazing and I wouldn't buy anything else ever. For colours P3 and Vallejo are fine. If you're buying Vallejo get Model Colour as it has better coverage. I haven't tried the Army Painter regular paints but I'd be surprised if they weren't great as well.

The key to getting an easy great paint job is washes. For bright colours I'd be going with wash straight onto white and for metals and fleshtones I'd go for base colour then black wash or flesh wash respectively. Green flesh is the other trick, I'd be painting yellow and then applying green wash.

These are the products I'd suggest for basic paint sets:
http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/warpaints/26242-starter-paint-set
http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/warpaints/27704-warpaints-quickshade-ink-set-ii

Basing is also the difference between a decent pain job and a good paint job. Get some basing goop like this (don't buy the white one, get a coloured one depending on what colour you want. I tend to like brown, drybrush it bone and then add some static grass):
http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/stone-texture/16259-stone-textures-white-pumice
Get static grass from ebay. The stuff in hobby stores is extortionately priced.

Also get some model train numbers (I forget what they are called exactly... but someone should know, look around on ebay or in a train store). Painted on numbers always look terrible if you're not a good painter, glued on plastic numbers always look amazing. Don't put static flock on the base rims. Either go with green or black rims.

Hope that all makes sense. Look around on youtube and the net for basic paint guides, especially ones that show you how to paint with washes.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: May 06, 2016 - 15:55
FUMBBL Staff

Those are great links, cheers Fortis

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
PainState

Post   Posted: May 06, 2016 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I started painting in 1986. Started out with GW Warhammer and Blood Bowl. Also played Battle Tech in those days.

I perfected the perfect painting technique for rank and file guys. Still use those minis when we are playing D&D or Warhammer RPG or Warhammer Quest. They are now all scuffed up and battle tested.

Here is how I paint rank and file minis. Lets take a orc. I dip the entire mini in GW green paint, GW paint is the best, right? Then once it dries. 2 red dots for eyes, GW gun metal silver on the weapons and a dry brush on the armor, then some GW brown on the boots and clothes. They look perfect in every way when you line up 50 of them on the table top.

Sadly painting center piece marvels was never my thing and I totally stunk at it. Maybe my "skills" at "real" painting was retarded because of my fundamental belief that all minis must first be baptized by a full dip into the paint can.

Post   Posted: May 06, 2016 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Apo.
I started recently painting my own teams. I started dabbling with it a couple years ago. Like you I had teams that weren't painted or partially painted. I also had someone else paint them for me. I have some very nicely painted teams from those painters. What I Will say is that you do get better over time. I also feel much more confident using my own painted team when I play. Having a badly painted team over a unpainted team is much better.
So, I learned from experience and asking others. Everyone that paints usually are very willing to help others start out. It pretty incredible honestly. I've also been told that there are some YouTube videos out there to watch, plus some forums. I have gone to look for them, but haven't given much thought to them. I've kind of fluke out and done well with some of my teams. Good luck to you!

Jeffro
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: May 06, 2016 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing to remember is that your painting will be limited by the base sculpt! This is not a big deal at all when you're painting 100+ minis for an army, as the uniformity of rank and file causes any imperfections to blend in. But if you're making a centerpiece, or even with a blood bowl team (due to the relatively low number of figures), always try to start with a really good sculpt that is well produced Smile

It is really common sense, but it's things like that you sometimes miss: how much of a "poor" paintjob is really down to the paint itself.

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:

Oh, and I can still see photos in some of spubbbba's blogs, but quite a lot of the older ones have gone.

Yeah, the newer ones should be ok but a lot of the older ones used non-https sources so are just links now. Also if I move the pics about in their album the links get broken too. I should really get round to fixing those someday but am lazy. Embarassed

In regards to buying a decent brush, it can make a big difference. Good winsor and newton brushes are £7/8 on e-bay and should last a while if you look after them.

The trick is to not use them for the less precise stuff like mixing, apply washes or over/drybrushing. When my brushes start to wear out I buy and new one and demote the old ones. So have a size 1 brush for detail, another for base coating and another for washes, mixing and undercoating. Cheap brushes will do the job of the last one though.

I also have the same for size 0 but you can get away with just a detail size 0.

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

So what size brush do people use for the eyes? That's the part that always gives me fits. Also any general eye technique would be appreciated (you'll notice my Norse don't have eyes yet...).

Jump to: