25 coaches online • Server time: 13:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Irgy

Post   Posted: May 26, 2016 - 03:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Luohghcra wrote:
Quote:

Is there gonna be a loser's bracket to keep the, uh, losers playing longer?

I reckon it's only fair.

If you run it as a Swiss tournament with the appropriate number of rounds then it can still be effectively a knockout tournament but with other players still having games.

The downside is related to the upside - if people are "knocked out" of the all-wins bracket they might decide they don't care and not schedule the games. Though honestly it's not substantially different to a normal season in that regard.

On the other hand running with Swiss you could also make it the exact number of weeks you want and don't have to introduce overtime/tiebreakers.
Semitence

Post   Posted: May 26, 2016 - 04:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Irgy wrote:
The downside is related to the upside - if people are "knocked out" of the all-wins bracket they might decide they don't care and not schedule the games. Though honestly it's not substantially different to a normal season in that regard.

From a personal point of view, I expect that it will be even more difficult than normal to get people to play their games once the Fun Police end up in the loser's bracket. What's the motivation to play if it's a KO tournament?
cdwat

Post   Posted: May 26, 2016 - 04:15 Reply with quote Back to top

CaptainSmiithheart wrote:
When does the new season start?

Check the very first post of the thread Wink

Bio template here.
almic85

Post   Posted: May 26, 2016 - 06:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I have never really bothered with working out the timing (start and end dates) of the yearly SWL schedule but maybe the commissioner can provide some further clarity.

What do we do with the extra 3 weeks we get from running a 7 week schedule tournie in lieu of the standard 10 week turnaround for a season?

Are the extra weeks just going to be allocated for an extra long break at Christmas and Easter?

p.s. with 8 teams per group I think it is actually 7 weeks on plus 3 weeks break between seasons. So currently with 5 full seasons we have 35 weeks on and 17 weeks off. Replacing a 7 week tournie with a 6 week tournie really only makes this 34 weeks on and 18 weeks off, but gives the admins much greater flexibility in the yearly schedule.

I guess where I am going is can't we just shorten the time between two seasons per year and get the same result?

If you're interested join the Fringe
DrPoods

Post   Posted: May 26, 2016 - 07:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm parking again.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2016 - 07:48 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a great concept though I'm unlikely to be able to participate, but I will know closer to the date.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Semitence

Post   Posted: May 26, 2016 - 07:56 Reply with quote Back to top

For the last two years, the schedule has been (at minimum)

Two week for round 1 (2)
One week for rounds 2 - 7 (6)
One week ToB/Break (1)
- repeat

So a back to back year takes a minimum of 45 weeks. Invariably we lose a week somewhere in between a season so it's a little tighter than that. Whatever time is left is for the xmas break (abou 6 weeks usually).

It's no secret that numbers are often stronger, and people more keen after a break. Like anything, absence makes the heart grow fonder. I think the idea of the tournament is to break up the 25 season CRP routine we've had, with a small additional time gap, but also to reinvigorate interest and excitement.

Other things have been tried like the URN, Waikikamukow & other Fringe stuff but given that a large part of the interest in the SWL is the perpetual nature of the teams, the limited target audience (SWL) is further filtered.

For my own, whilst I prefer leagues to KO tournaments, I think this is a great interval tournament to freshen things up and gives teams the chance to play coaches and teams that they wouldn't normally get a chance to (say, Slumbering Skink v Bribery & Corruption).
Semitence

Post   Posted: May 26, 2016 - 07:57 Reply with quote Back to top

DrDiscoStu wrote:
It's a great concept though I'm unlikely to be able to participate, but I will know closer to the date.

*Shakes head*

Stump up son.
lolvenom

Post   Posted: May 26, 2016 - 08:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I need to unpark for season 66 to keep the ogres - will this tournament affect that? Do I need to come back for the tourney or can I wait it out with no ill effects?
oozeboss

Post   Posted: May 26, 2016 - 10:01 Reply with quote Back to top

As my active participation in the Bob Borc Cup is likely to be very short & excessively bloody, I am up for any SWL Stunty Leeg.

In which my active participation will also, inevitably, also be very short and excessively bloody.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2016 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

oozeboss wrote:
As my active participation in the Bob Borc Cup is likely to be very short & excessively bloody, I am up for any SWL Stunty Leeg.

In which my active participation will also, inevitably, also be very short and excessively bloody.

Very short and excessively bloody is basically the definition of stunty leeg...
Wex

Post   Posted: May 26, 2016 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to take part in a Stunty Leeg.
CaptainSmiithheart

Post   Posted: May 26, 2016 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

cdwat wrote:
CaptainSmiithheart wrote:
When does the new season start?

Check the very first post of the thread Wink

Aha! I missed it the first time through, sorry
Tomay

Post   Posted: May 27, 2016 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm struggling to finish my trial of blood. Will be around tomorrow through the day looking for games if anyone would be kind enough to help out. Send me a PM if you want to nail down a time.

Cheers!

Post   Posted: May 27, 2016 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

If we cross paths I'd be happy to help

[13:11] <;@Prinz> i can't ban bunny for being funny
 Jump to: