58 coaches online • Server time: 13:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2016 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Moot Point
PainState

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2016 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Moot Point

Your most likely correct. I have learned over my many years around this joint that all wisdom I offer is a moot point.

Shocked

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2016 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I always worry that frenzy will prevent me from taking blocks
sbr32

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2016 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Semitence wrote:
I don't think you *need* MB on Necro teams in the same way. Claws do a good job of stunning which should get you a similar result (a TD). The wights seem better as guards early on.

My usual (not on Fumbbl) would be guard for both first, then tackle, mb or sf depending on whom you play.

I agree with this. I would even strongly consider skipping a double for Guard as a first skill, especially if it is early in the team's development and there aren't many other skills. The Golems skill up too slowly and you don't really want Guard on a Ghoul or Wolf.

For the record I only play scheduled leagues, no matchmaker. Not sure if that would change my thinking at all.
ph0enyx13

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2016 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

sbr32 wrote:
Semitence wrote:
I don't think you *need* MB on Necro teams in the same way. Claws do a good job of stunning which should get you a similar result (a TD). The wights seem better as guards early on.

My usual (not on Fumbbl) would be guard for both first, then tackle, mb or sf depending on whom you play.

I agree with this. I would even strongly consider skipping a double for Guard as a first skill, especially if it is early in the team's development and there aren't many other skills. The Golems skill up too slowly and you don't really want Guard on a Ghoul or Wolf.

For the record I only play scheduled leagues, no matchmaker. Not sure if that would change my thinking at all.

I dislike the idea of building differently for league as opposed to match making. Like picking skills differently because of the meta of your league/box tournament or based on your next opponent is normal and fine. But I think it is dumb to say >this skill is important to win now, so don't take it in match making because you want an spp generating skill
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2016 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

ph0enyx13 wrote:
Catalyst32 wrote:
Tackle. Human Blitzers are fast. They should be chasing down and ripping Blodgers to shreds.
Find a way to have it on at least 1 guy before 16spps.
I would go with your general plan but sub in Tackle for Piling On.
Your plan is solid. I just think being able to cut down Blodgers is a real key for Humans.

Almost every opponent has them and they are often opponents best scoring threat(s).
Ghouls, Gutter Runners, Norse Runners, Catchers of multiple types, Goblins, Flings, just about any Elf... you need a plan to deal with them and that plan is TACKLE.

And the opponents that won't have them early on (heavy bash) will likely have them later for a ballcarrier.

Plus... how much is Mighty Blow and Piling On only going to do to take down some Orcs?
Reducing their AV to 8 and getting to reroll their armor (leaving your Blitzer prone btw) is not likely to send them off... you need to beat those types of teams with your SPEED and Agility and built in rerolls.

But reducing that Elf AV to 7 (or 6) and cutting right through his Defensive uses for Dodge... that will win you games.
When you see how fevered your Elf opponents are to target and try to remove your Tackler you will see how valuable they know he is to your chance of winning.

I like to aim for this with my ST access players on the Human team. Assuming I can keep them alive and they skill at a similar rate or course.
Ogre - Guard, Piling On,
Blitzer 1 - Guard, Mighty Blow, - Piling On, Tackle
Blitzer 2 - Mighty Blow, Tackle, - Guard, Piling On
Blitzer 3 - Guard, Tackle, - Mighty Blow, Piling On
Blitzer 4 - Mighty Blow, Guard, - Tackle, Piling On

You take piling on on the ogre?

I DO. AFTER I have GUARD because that is really the only normal skill I really want on my Ogre so that he can be a useful assist in a scrum. But as there are fewer Ogres to use I don't necessarily claim Piling On to be the best skill to take that early. But I do have my reasons for taking it on him that early.

Those reasons are that he can't get Tackle without a DOUBLE and I would take Block 1st anyway if he did get a Double. I want him to be a THREAT to Cas or KO my opponents players if they man mark him and Piling On is the easiest way to do that on a Regular Skill-up.

I tend to keep him away from Sidelines and I don't usually use him to anchor my Cage... so Stand Firm is less important to me. As for Break Tackle... I find my way into a Cage using other methods and would rather be able to use a reroll on such an important roll.

The next reason he gets Piling On is that every now and then I get to lay him down on the pitch so that somebody might FOUL HIM. Sometimes that will bite me... but if I am playing against someone that is going to foul anyway... his AV9 makes him the best guy to offer up to be fouled.
Also... The way I see it letting my Ogre get fouled is another way to WIN the attrition war... by letting the Ref remove an opponents player. Sure it will mainly be a Lineman with just Dirty Player (or maybe no skills or a Loner) because those are the players a coach tends to foul with. But a +1 Man Advantage is still an advantage. I see trading anything from a KO or less on the Ogre for a Sent Off result as a win.

Plus lets not forget that (hopefully) by Piling On I have removed another player on my turn before I was fouled.
That said... this not a strategy best used against AV9 for reasons mentioned in my previous post. I am less likely to use Piling On against an AV9 team. I try to be more situational then and think a little more about how important it would be to keep him standing instead.
 Jump to: