75 coaches online • Server time: 21:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kanny

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Hiya guys, So I got my first level up today for my Goblin team today and I rolled a double 6 for my Troll. So I can Give him +STR.

While this is awesome I'm wondering if its overkill? would I be better off going for Block instead? Block makes him much more reliable in both attack and defence, but i'll probably never have another chance to give him +1 Strength again.

What do you guys think?
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 04:59 Reply with quote Back to top

There's a pretty solid divide on this question, to the point where I don't think either is wrong.

Personally I lean towards +ST, but I like break tackle more than some do.

Just never ever take pro on him ok?
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 05:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I take Block. He'll really stupid on the important ones anyway.
tussock

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 05:06 Reply with quote Back to top

+ST, it's the only way to get to ST 7.

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=10692594

You know you want one. Imagine if you roll doubles next time, you'd have a ST 6 block troll, those things are a nightmare, and my ST 7 troll still smashes them off the pitch, every time.

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 05:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Block.
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 05:10 Reply with quote Back to top

+ST, six times less likely than Block to come again. Harder to knock down just to get a 2D block and fairly easy 3D blocks much of the time with one assist means not having Block is less of an issue anyway.

DLE College 7s
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 05:13 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

Pro would be decent for a 2nd double. You wont be so tempted to risk loner.

Block is awesome early on a big guy but as folks say those +S don't come around so often. Unless you are in a tournament I would say go for +S and hope you get block on one of the next couple of levels.

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 05:49 Reply with quote Back to top

+St on a big is always nice.
you get 3d blocks with one assist on most players, and ST5 needs 2 assists to get a 2d block against.

You're also far more likely to see another double than you are +ST
Take the ST, you will never regret it.

That said, Block is NOT a bad choice. If you're playing towards the leanest TV you can, I'd take block over ST here. All the same, +ST often is the better option
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 07:42 Reply with quote Back to top

leap, baby

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 07:51 Reply with quote Back to top

There's always Sneaky Git.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 08:52 Reply with quote Back to top

don't shun on Nuffle's gift. you know what happens after...

Kammo22

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

+ST and try to take all out of it. 3D blocks whenever it's possible.
Calthor

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

+ST.

Also keep in mind, the odds of rolling a double on a future skill up is much bigger than rolling +ST again.
Shakall

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

On goblin team I would go for block.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm assuming this is not on here, so will reply on that basis:

Block is the safe standard - your troll is now more reliable than he was before. People will be less inclined to just thoughtlessly mark him up (though they still will, because you can never get rid of that RS roll and skulls happen). In addition, half-dicing him with a blocker is now no longer a semi-attractive option and needs to be considered carefully. Short-term this is a far better option, but your odds of getting the +ST again are slim.

Taking +ST is a slightly dicier proposition. Your troll now gets 3d on one assist, and if/when he gets break tackle, will have a 3+ dodge into a cage if you are ever desperate. Opponents can still half-dice him with impunity (and will, and it'll be extra annoying, anyone who says that getting 3d without block easily makes not having block less of a big deal has never actually played a team that can end up completely reliant on having big guys on their feet at times), and every time you roll both down/both down/skull you will wince. You do however have good odds for rolling another double, and could eventually end up with an st6, block, stand firm behemoth that a lot of teams will struggle to deal with - especially so if you ever induce Ripper alongside him.

So..... I think this depends a lot on meta. In a long-term perpetual division (ie. online), you will, in all likelihood be able to play enough games for the +ST to give solid long-term value (providing no death/bad perms). In a short division, league or tournament where the team is not being carried over, this is incredibly unlikely and block will simply be much better value in terms of winning immediate games. On table top, since gaming dice are less random than an rng, it's probably less likely you get burned by 3d blocks with +ST, but it's also more likely that he goes a lot longer without block.

licker wrote:
There's a pretty solid divide on this question, to the point where I don't think either is wrong.

Personally I lean towards +ST, but I like break tackle more than some do.

Break tackle is a must on Gob trolls early on anyway - the whole team needs to be mobile, not just the goblins, and while you don't want to be rolling more dice with loners than you need to, it's a necessary evil when you will at some point, need to move that troll.

[edit] It should also be considered that there is also the overall argument that on gobs you want the stats (mostly +AG and +MV) and doubles on a few goblins, and the trolls just want block/break tackle for the most efficient team.