55 coaches online • Server time: 12:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What is best way to chat to an opponent on wrong side of dice?
Mention their bad dice as the reason for the current state of the match.
34%
 34%  [ 34 ]
Stay silent in subject of dice. Make minimal messages.
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Try to be funny: e.g. “come on, lets see if you can top those quad skulls on your next turn... ”
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
Start fouling their best players to give them something different to think about.
20%
 20%  [ 20 ]
Something else entirely (reply below).
10%
 10%  [ 10 ]
Offer your opponent some Pie
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 98

DustBunny

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Foul the man who failed the dodge.

Punish the pixel bringing misery to your opponent!

Then usually either shut up, or make in-context commentary on how terrible the players are.
For example, TheSpoonyBard of MMM 'died of shame'

[13:11] <;@Prinz> i can't ban bunny for being funny
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2016 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll often get sarcastic. For example, if I've broken armor 4 or 5 times in a row, and then fail to break armor, I'll loudly complain about that last armor roll. Conversely, if the 10th armor roll on my AV7 causes the first stun, I'll bitch about that. =)

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2016 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Well tested and proven tactic has been to call 'gg' when first thing fails in the game.

#metabox -approved (sort of) tactic.

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2016 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

First page replies seemed about right.

This second page has people reacting to the wrong topic (this is not "how to make your opponent rage quit?"). Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2016 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

"Ouch", "rough dice", "not your day", "Nuffle said no" and such, to coaches who handle the dicing (more or less) maturely. To coaches who react badly, whine excessively, use abusive language etc., I limit chat to a minimum (grats, thanks, thanks for the game, bye).
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 09:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Sometimes I try to bring it to the fluff side.

"Ever wondered whether your Troll is actually a paid saboteur? Or maybe he is just really REALLY stupid."
or
"I see kidnapping your throwers kids is paying of nicely. Wink"

Doesn't work on everybody but most are remembered it's just a silly game in the end.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Empathising with your opponent can't hurt. We've all been Nuffled.
coombz

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

FWSG man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjB3oTFFRzY

That's Trailer Park Life.
nThatch

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I find hurt animals bite.
The part that gets to me is when opponent is whining, clearly just to draw you in to his pit of muck. I often don't even reply to whine. They want me to confirm their bad dice, and then I get anger because I'm ignoring the call of support. One of the old timers always complain about me having too good dice. I used to chat a lot, years ago. Now I just stay at the minimum.
almic85

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

With most of my games currently being with UW in a league where I have played up 500+TV regularly I will probably celebrate their misfortune quite emphatically and then foul their best player.

If I was playing with a better team I would show a bit mor sympathy for "bad dice".

If you're interested join the Fringe
djambazov

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

If my opponents whine too much, I cannot resist trolling them. Usually I tell them that their dice are fine and that they are just playing badly.
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

my reaction to opponents is usually that I empathize with them in one way or another, usually what comes up, which is bad dice most often. When I have a stroke of bad luck the most annoying thing is that the opponent doesn't agree with me, so I try to agree with them.

Mostly I actually do agree with them, though sometimes I agree with them just so they dont get pissed, though Im not worried if they become pissed, which usually means they will foul more but also lose more. My long game is preserving my team, and "short game" is winning.(in this context)

If they get obnoxious or similar, I usually get sarcastic or Ill just bluntly insult them.
experienced coaches are usually very agreeable.
Sometimes I can become silent too, but that is just to annoy them.

I can occasionally make some nuffle jokes, but that is not a tactic.

Whining is fine is small doses, if it gets out of hand, I will step up to phase 2, which is talking back, and make them pay. But I only respond to opponents due to their attitude.

Ive noticed that if the opponent expects a win (which in some cases seem very far fetched) they whine more, then I just will be agreeable so we both can move on.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually symphathize a bit and maybe joke about their players if they aren't really annoyed.
I find if I make a comment about my clearly bad dice and the opponent disagrees, or conversely if my opponent complains about his dice after one or two fails (when I think I have had worse) that is when bad feelings easily develop. It is easier to sympathize if it is a whitewash.
Also in the past, in my early days on the site especially, I found when high cr players lost to me it was not so unusual that they then complain I was a lucker, which was annoying.
Alternatively you may play someone who is not experienced (or simply not good) at BB and complains when their pass fails. I sometimes advise them on the risks of passing etc but only occasionally is advice taken well, often it goes down like a lead balloon.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Rawlf wrote:
Sometimes I try to bring it to the fluff side.

"Ever wondered whether your Troll is actually a paid saboteur? Or maybe he is just really REALLY stupid."
or
"I see kidnapping your throwers kids is paying of nicely. Wink"

Doesn't work on everybody but most are remembered it's just a silly game in the end.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I'll try to sympathize with my opponent, but sometimes they go to far with the complaining. Conversely, when I'm getting diced I try not to complain too much and I'll try to fluff it up.

BB is a heroic tragicomedy, and sometimes all 3 elements appear in the same match.
ThierryM

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2016 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Study case (opponent's name changed of course) :
<xx> you can do anything in this game if you roll high enough
<xx> this game is proof enough
<ThierryM> i.know,.with.6s.BB.gets.easier.)
<xx> i mean this is just ridiculous, you've made two positioning mistakes that should have given me tds and you're gett9ing them instead
<ThierryM> my.mistakes.are.sometimes.my.strengh.it.seems.)
<xx> i wish i could play bad and still win games
<ThierryM> it's.a.long.learning.process.you.know

I found this dialog so sweet with the bitterness showing in my opponent's gentle remarks Twisted Evil
 Jump to: