31 coaches online • Server time: 10:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all... Haven't been around in a while but thought I'd stop in to seek some advice. My kids have recently started to get interested in some of my hobbies (looking at some of my old figures, watching me play the space hulk and dawn of war computer games etc) and I thought it would be fun to get them into bloodbowl. It's primarily my son (aged 6) and my eldest daughter (12) who have expressed an interest... Does anyone have any ideas/ experience with how to introduce the game to these two very different age groups? I think the 12 yo would cope with the rules as they are but have any of you ever customised the rules to introduce a younger family member? What did you change etc?

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 01:25 Reply with quote Back to top

mmmh one-off matches without the CAS part?
once the inj roll is 10+, they're just out of the match. no spp, skills may be added randomly.

at least for the 6yo tiny-you

Jip

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 01:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Check out the Blood Bowl 7s rules. Quick and easy introduction to the game, you'll find them via a Google search pretty easily.

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Introduce things one at a time. So everyone moves 6. How do you move, take turns, all my players, then all yours, etc. Next lesson, start blocking. All one dice. 4+ is a success. Then next lesson, picking up and passing, 4+ for all actions. Vary as needed if your kid hates losing, gets bad dice, etc (but not so that you win. Some things are more important than winning a game of BB). Next lesson, elves are agile, so they do ball stuff on 3+. Orcs (or whichever bashy team you have in your intro games) are hitters, so their blocks work on 3+. Next lesson, a block with a friend to help is 2 dice. Expand from there as interest/ability to remember and enjoy the rules increases. And at whatever speed works. You may well get through most of these "lessons" in one sitting.

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I made my youngest play with his favorite superheroes. They were all 9999 ALL THE SKILLS. The only modification was that their Pro Skill always succeeded.
Electric_Wizard

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 03:18 Reply with quote Back to top

There's already a part in the LRB/CRP that is meant as beginner rules (Page 1-15). For example there's no fouling, no weather, no kick off events and so on.

I think that cuts alot of stuff out and is great for the first few matches.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 03:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe you could start them with just the first part of the rulebook (i.e. just the basic skills without skill progression, fouling, kick-off table, etc.)? Another idea could be to just use all human linemen on both teams, to completely leave out skills.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Uedder

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 03:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I dunno HOW to teach bb, but whatever you come up, make sure you fluff it up a lot. That's the most important thing.

It's real Elves and real Orcs playing some stupid sport somewhere.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 04:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Any 12 year old should be able to get the rules if properly explained.
As for the young one I remember somebody suggesting to play without any optional rules a while ago.

No assist rules, no skills, basic statistics. Perhaps advance the game from there with some very basic stuff. 2-3 players with a simple basic skill or a simple stat up, nothing else.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Wish I had some advice for you paul, but what I can say is that it's great your kids are interested in things that you enjoy. Take advantage of that as it seeems rare these days. I do, however, like the all human lineman approach suggested. Being that they are the standard for player creation it seems a solid suggestion.

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 08:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Paul! <3

I play bloodbowl with my 7yo and we started when he was 6.

We kind of played full rules with me helping him a lot. He watched me play on fumbbl and at a tourney. I also downloaded the cyanide to his ipad and he plays on that as it hides a lot.

He also has a fumbbl account ThomasW and we have played a few test games.

Takes time!

Hoping to take him to the nafc next year but might be too soon...

Manly love, Pete

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

With the 12 year old I think you should look at 2 aspects. The first being playing and the second collecting. The 2 go hand in hand and there's a big difference between playing with your dad's figures and playing with your own figures. The rules are designed to teach, using the basic rules first and following on with the more complex rules and skills.

With the 6 year old, it would be a good idea to use the 12 year old as a lead. Younger brothers and sisters look up to their older siblings and older sisters naturally teach their youngers.

So once you have the 12 year old on track, the 6 year old will come on naturally.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Jip wrote:
Check out the Blood Bowl 7s rules. Quick and easy introduction to the game, you'll find them via a Google search pretty easily.

Or look for Beachbowl. I recommend 7s as well. Kids could embrace a game for 30 min, but not for 2 hours.

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 08:58 Reply with quote Back to top

paul! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2016 - 09:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Every dad's wish : share with his kids.
My daughter (now 6) loves my little skeletons and yes, letting her reenact actions with real BB miniatures definitly hooked her to the concept.
Learning the game will come when she'll be asking for it by herself, I won't force her into it, it must come from her but I can't wait for this day !!
 Jump to: