50 coaches online • Server time: 15:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Deroyboy

Post 7 Posted: Aug 30, 2016 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys I am new on here but have played blood bowl for 2 years now and I wanted to see what people thought about skills that would be only accessible for each race. That way they can be tailored made to fit the race they are assigned to, allowing whole new ideas for skills that have not been in blood bowl before. An example would be a skill called 'Acrobat' for the Slann which would reroll failed leap attempts. I have other ideas but would like to see to other people think before sharing them. Considering how powerful these skill set could be I would say they were only accessible upon rolling double 1's, and only one is allowed per player. The reason I feel this could be beneficial is to add, albeit unlikely, is the chance for otherwise straightforward players to take on different roles (for example if a skill existed that allowed the use of a player's strength stat for passing rather than agility, it may create the first black Orc or Saurus passer!) whilst also distinguishing the races further and making more niches. This would be most easily seen with teams such as the udead versus necromantic or pro elf versus high elf who would gain more noticeable differences and possibilities down the line. Also imagine how fun the stunty or goblin skills could be Smile So thoughts?
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2016 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

its not a new idea as such, they used to be called Traits in previous editions. In BB magazines there were rosters for different dwarf factions such as slayers and so on, same story for skaven and clan pestilens etc... back then there were skills that were only obtainable on a double, such as frenzy, leader, strong arm etc... these were called traits. In the aforementioned skaven and dwarf teams, you could get certain traits without having to roll a double. So Frenzy on Slayer teams and so on.

Obviously it would need to be a little bit different now but I do like the idea and have often considered this type of thing my self. The problem I had were some teams did not really have a fitting skill.
Deroyboy

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2016 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh well I did not know that so thanks Smile when did they do away with that system? Mmm you make a good point but of the races currently used, do you have any suggestions for personalised skills?
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2016 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Traits were removed after LRB4, LRB5 being the first edition without them which was about 2006 i think.

The racial specific trait idea (or removal of trait for a specific race to be more accurate) was in the BB magazines, so they never made it to an official rule set, they were always just house rules for suggested house ruled rosters

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2016 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

It's an interesting idea. It would need a lot of testing to make it balanced tho. Free rerolling leaps might make slann op for instance.

I think as it stands each race does a good job having its own feel. Even the most similar rosters (helves and pelves) feel and play very differently.
Deroyboy

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2016 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

But surely the 1 in 36 chance of acquiring the skill means thats its rarity counteracts its power? Just as a Strength 4 Wardancer is OP but also statistically hard to come across? I would not say they play very differently but either way, added differences between rosters (so long as they are balanced) can only be a bonus surely?
Uedder

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2016 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree deroyboy.

It's an interesting idea which needs carefulness in the implementation for balance.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2016 - 08:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I would say 1 skill per race is enough to make the difference at high TV.

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2016 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Even when it's "only" a 1/36.. some coaches are able to rerun their teams until they get the skills they want (fire bloated players that rolled only normals or didn't roll any "needed" stats). Like.. there was this topic about Flesh Golems next skill (5th).. one guy said that "fire him" and said something about "rolled only normals, won't benefit in long run" etc.

So even when normally a team could have 0-2 of those skills.. after a 100+ games with a lot of recycling, some teams might have 4+ of those race-specific skills.

If they can make it balanced some way, then, sure. Might be a cool feature, sure. But it has to be tested a lot (and i hope that they'd test high TV teams too, not rookies only like they presumably have done before leading current problems of high TV problems).

Lets see if this ever becomes a thing.
Deroyboy

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2016 - 10:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Following the idea of a balanced set of skills, does anyone have any suggestions? I understand they would need testing before implementation but I was hoping people could suggest some skills they may have thought of?
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2016 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

you really don't need to invent new skills, there are plenty of old ones to mine from first, also you could just have a skill from a different pool available without rolling a double.

Just as an example in ogre teams, you could have Block is available on a non double. or Tackle is available on a non double. etc...

as for old skills you've got (these are off the top off my head so the exact name might be a little off) from 2nd ed and compediums -
Spearing
Hideous appearance
Razor Sharp Claws
Mace Tail
Girth
Luck
Blatent Foul
Dirty Tackle
Double Blitz
Null Field

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2016 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

basically you can also setup pre-requisite skills e.g. dirty tackle requires both tackle and diving tackle but gives +x to the armour/injury roll... makes building those superstars a little more planned.

right stuff is available to str2 players as an agility skill (it used to happen) and throw teammate available to str6 players...

The thing is, with so many skills available that aren't great or are situational (tackle and dauntless for example always add to tv but can be rendered completely ineffective depending on your opponents choices), would we not be better sorting out everything there?
Deroyboy

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2016 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Some skills must be situational though, I cannot see it working otherwise. Plus choosing skills is all about what you anticipate facing and using your player for. It adds another element to coaching by choosing your skills wisely, if all skills were equal then that would subtract from the experience. The prerequisite skill idea really works for me with racial skills because you can tailor a highly specific skills knowing that a player on that team will possess the requirements. Such as a similar skill as mighty blow but for the Delf assassin's stab skill, maybe called 'mighty stab' Wink These style skills would be far more fun than simply reusing old skills in my opinion.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2016 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

Spearing
Hideous appearance
Razor Sharp Claws
Mace Tail
Girth
Luck
Blatent Foul
Dirty Tackle
Double Blitz
Null Field

Very Happy Aah, the memories Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2016 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Typically i would assign skill to a race so it fits to the race more than any other so something the race could have had at the start but due to avoiding overdescribed players the race did not get it. It should also be strong enough to affect high tv.

In a different world very long legs or leap would be such skill for slann as an example.