35 coaches online • Server time: 16:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bates

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2016 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

Thanks for having me.
Last week I had my first demo and I loved it. Even managed to score a touchdown Smile

Now I had some questions and I'm looking for your guidance and answers.

1) As it is a fantasy game and as I saw an amazing team made by Pedro Ramos, I fell in love with the Slann. Unfortunately they don't have good skills in the beginning resulting in a difficult job for me as a coach.
So I had a look around and found the following teams that could give me a fair advantage in A) learning the gam, B) not get killed completely all the time.

So we have: Dark Elf, High Elf, Lizard man, Necromantic, Undead.
Which team would you advice for a complete rookie. The aim is to play, learn, have fun and win sometimes Smile

Please note that most likely I will collect this team as well for the board version of the game.

2) secondly, as my preferences go out to both Lizard Man and Slann I was wondering if I could use a Slann Thower in the game. I found this amazing figurine that I'm on painting. I would be me first figurine since 1996 and I really really wanna use him. He looks like a lizard but is a frog so he could work for both teams.

thanks in advance for your replies.
Harad

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2016 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

1) Start with orcs. They are very forgiving. Undead can be ok too. Some of the others lack key skills or can be a bit unforgiving.
2) I don't know what the official situation is but as long as you and your opponents are happy, use whatever miniatures you like.

May I also suggest the excellent 145 club designed to help newer players:

https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=2922&op=view
garyt1

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2016 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Bates. Are you playing on tabletop? Playing on tabletop is probably the best socially but definitely come and enjoy some games at FUMBBL too.

For your first question a lot of people recommend Orcs to start with. They are durable. A little slow but not horribly so, and have a few starting skills. All those teams you mention are good. I think Dark Elves are tricky to start with as a rookie though they have a lot of potential. High Elves are good but you may be tempted to pass a lot with ag4 teams when you start, which is not a good habit in general (1's do happen!). Lizardman are great if you protect your skinks. Though with no block your first few games may suffer from both downs. Necromantic and Undead are very good and have the benefit of regen. Also a mix of players. Some teams might run around your zombies. I haven't used Slaan but I think they are the toughest to use of those you list.

For your other question I reckon you would just use the figure as a Slaan linefrog or Saurus. Most people wouldn't be bothered as long as you tell them what he is Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2016 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Dude,

Slann are tricky, of the races you mentioned I'd say Lizards are good bet. They have a load of ST4 heavy dudes who are fast, stuntys who are really fast, and a big guy with the very useful Prehensile Tail, which can help pin down mulitple players.

Not that I've ever coached a Lizarman team, I just ind them very hard to beat!
bghandras

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2016 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Lizardman is not a terrible choice. If you like them, then go for it. Skinks will die early and often. Dont mind it. The simplicity is that you have basically 2 type of players, so easy to memorize. Plus they have very good stats, and complement each other very well.

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2016 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Amazons will let you be competitive while you learn the game, but the race teaches you bad habits.

Dwarves are slow, but powerful, and will teach you good positioning, and how to deal with other bag teams.

Orcs are the most forgiving, as you'll have a strength and skill advantage vs most opponents.

Elves will win games other races usually won't, dark elves are the best bash elves out of the box, and can play a tighter game than other elves due to armor.

Lizards are good all around and create mismatches against almost all other races. They take time to develop, but they're tough to beat.

Personally, I'd forget about wanting to win as you start out. I honestly wish I'd taken this route when I first came to fumbbl as well. Pick a race that you think sounds fun (I would have probably started as ogres or vampires had I gone this route), and just play anyone who's willing to play you. Chat with an opponent during the game, ask them advice, ask for critiques. Join the 145 club and find a mentor. Play poor match ups that favor an opponent, do so against better coaches as well. The more you play, the better you get. Playing the harder matches against better opposition will be incredibly rough, you'll lose a lot, but in the long run, it will make you a better coach.

But, have fun, first and foremost. Some teams to watch, coaches worth emulating are, Angry Newscasters, Der Green Tide, and any half lingerie team Kam or Zed play.
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2016 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Orks.

They have ST4 players without block, so you learn what an advantage/disadvantage that type of player can be. That will translate well to lizards.

They have 4 blitzers to get you blocks and key pows when you need them.

They have ag3 so you frequently get 'bonus dodges' at the end of turns which can really firm up a good position.

Most important.. They have av9. You will get to make lots of mistakes and not be punished with injuries for each one.

Lizards and Slann each have a unique style that is tough to master. Before you get too far down into the rabbit hole with one of those teams you might might to learn 'standard' blood bowl first. Know how most of your opponents think.

Plus.. orks will win quite a bit along the way.

*edit* I'd also like to add that I disagree with ALMOST everything Anthesisoftime said after his first 5 sentances. Have fun? Yes. Forget winning? Kinda. Play weak teams and get pounded by everyone? THAT will teach you bad habits. And it won't make you better faster. A good team, especially Slann and Lizards, take lots of games to build SPP and get vital skills they lack. That's A LOT of time. So start with a good team and invest in it.

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2016 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Blodged up Dark Elves...
But Slann can also do ok... check out my Slann...

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=769314
pythrr

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2016 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I AM HAVING YOU?

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2016 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I start writing a race.... I can see arguments for all races suggested. Then I think, hmm that race has x disadvantage that a newbie will probably have trouble with.

I'm not convinced there are any 'forgiving' races in that regard. The better races have problems to get around as well.

Newbies won't be competitive against 'super stars+' and even most 'stars' without decent amount of in game luck.

Just play Slann and enjoy losing more often than winning...

Last edited by Desultory on Oct 27, 2016 - 23:06; edited 1 time in total
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2016 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't believe I have had you yet either .. Wink

(Welcome to FUMBBL!) Razz

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2016 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

bates wrote:

So we have: Dark Elf, High Elf, Lizard man, Necromantic, Undead.
Which team would you advice for a complete rookie. The aim is to play, learn, have fun and win sometimes Smile

From that list Undead are a great choice as all the players have a clear role. Also regen on all but the ghouls and free zombies mean you will likely have plenty of cash too.

As others have stated Orcs are a great choice too and easy to convert from fantasy or 40K models.

bates wrote:

2) secondly, as my preferences go out to both Lizard Man and Slann I was wondering if I could use a Slann Thower in the game. I found this amazing figurine that I'm on painting. I would be me first figurine since 1996 and I really really wanna use him. He looks like a lizard but is a frog so he could work for both teams.

thanks in advance for your replies.

There aren't really any Slann or Lizardmen throwers. Catchers come with AG4 so make pretty good throwers. The first of them that gets doubles give him accurate and then take sure hands or maybe kick off return next normal skill.
You could do the same with blitzers as you can get strong arm on doubles.

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:

May I also suggest the excellent 145 club designed to help newer players:

https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=2922&op=view

Second, third and fourth this! The 145 League is a brilliant start to FUMBBL and Blood Bowl.

It can be a bit demoralising getting smashed in Ranked whilst you find your way, the 145 League helps you avoid that.

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Jip; If competition is what you want.

Looks like the OP chose Lizardmen, with 13 players and 0 re rolls...which highlights my original point. (It doesn't matter what race a newbie chooses). It matters what starting players they select and how they skill them more than any thing else.
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Bates you may want to rethink that opening roster choice. There's some guides on the site that help with choosing a roster. No rerolls is really asking for trouble on a team with no block at all and half of them can't dodge Very Happy

Strategy guides/roster choices

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
 Jump to: