46 coaches online • Server time: 16:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Pro511

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2016 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

After an 8 year blood bowl hiatus, I’m one of those guys who saw the GW rerelease and thought he’d get back into the game I love so much… by building a pitch. A few quick forum searches didn’t give me much to work with as I’ll be using plywood and a grass mat.

TL;DR: I’m looking for advice from anyone who has built a field.

I’m an experienced Model Railroader so I have plenty of flock and know how to use it. My primary goal was to make the pitch as playable as possible so I wanted to keep it simple and CLEAR. I could make a detailed pitch with puddles and mud and reeds and whatever else, but it wouldn’t be as durable AND it’s harder to see tackle zones and such. As a result, I’ll be using this rollout grass:

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/1RGVM-SPG/page/1

I will be gluing it to thin plywood and then putting a wood border around it (1’ x 1’ wood) to act as the walls and also reinforce the plywood as a frame.
Here’s the part I’m unsure about…

I will be tracing the intersections of the grid off of my current, stock cardboard BB field (to get the 29mm points) onto a clear overhead projector sheet with a sharpie. I will then be punching holes in my template and place the template on the field, dab of paint in all the holes and I’ve got a dotted grid.

And now my brilliant, or idiotic idea…

I will create a “+” stamp out of balsa wood. I will dip the “+” symbol into white paint and “stamp” all of the + signs at every intersection that I’ve dotted with my template. I’ll then paint the sidelines and spray paint an orc logo at midfield, maybe spray the end zones also.
Anyone try something similar?

Specific questions:

How well does standard citadel paint work on a rollout grass mat or flocking in general?

Does anyone see a glaring error in my process? Any suggestions?
Jedi_Knight_Amoeba

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2016 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

The board we made with flock ended up looking like crap after 2 seasons in our league of getting beaten around. We flocked the entire board and had a spray-paint template that did all the "plus" marks across an entire row. The marks as they flaked off a bit from use didn't look too good. If I had to do it again, I think I would paint the white marks under the flock and then again on the flock.

We also mixed a little dirt in with the flock to make it look more authentic and it just didn't look sharp in my opinion but pretty realistic.

If you are making a stadium I would suggest making the spaces bigger like we did. It allows a lot better use of big guys and scrums are easier to move and find the ball/remove players/knock players down. Just make sure you make your own pass template scaled up in size.
ignatzami

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2016 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Clear coat, clear coat, clear coat. Also don't be afraid to split the field at the LoS and the mid-line. Makes them much more portable.
Silent_Hastati

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2016 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Jedi_Knight_Amoeba wrote:
If you are making a stadium I would suggest making the spaces bigger like we did. It allows a lot better use of big guys and scrums are easier to move and find the ball/remove players/knock players down. Just make sure you make your own pass template scaled up in size.

Also keep in mind bigger should be relative to the new 32mm miniatures, not the old 25mm ones. You can fit 25s in 32s after all, but not the other way round.

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2016 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro511 wrote:

How well does standard citadel paint work on a rollout grass mat or flocking in general?

I've never made a pitch, but have done a couple of display bases that used a grass mat.

citadel paints work ok, but the mat does absorb paint so you have to either apply a lot or several layers if you want the colours to be bright. Mind you if it is orcs then a faded and worn logo might work.

Below is the hand painted NAF logo I did for a High elf team in their colours a couple of years back. I painted the little pluss signs by had too.

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2016 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I made my board 2nd ed style, so that is my advice!

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2016 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello,

Good for you! Great idea for a triumpant return to the game!

I haven't paited minatures in not far of twenty years now, but I am looking forward to a revival doing up a few teams.

So my small piece of advice. You mentioned Citadel paint. Don't bother. Twenty years ago I had already switiched to alterative producers because of outrageous prices and sneaky tricks like making the pots look bigger but actually contain less paint (pots made of excessively think moulded plastic). You might want GW minatures (they're what'll buy more than likely), but there is nothing at all special about the paints and painting equipment at GW except for the rip off prices and stingy quantities.

You can do better! Good luck!
Pro511

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 03:41 Reply with quote Back to top

These are all awesome suggestions. What do you mean 32mm minis? That's not the base size is it? Is that what's coming in the new box set?

[And that painted logo is amazing! And good call on the clear coat. I've got buckets.]

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 04:45 Reply with quote Back to top

/make the mexicans pay for it

Jump to: