16 coaches online • Server time: 05:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Then let's agree you don't understand. Many have tried to explain it.

You can have the last word. I WISH yours was the last word.

Last edited by The_Murker on %b %28, %2016 - %16:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I think you dont understand, so I cant agree with that, if you want to agree that you dont understand then thats fine with me Smile

kinda pointless this now,
LAST WORD! Razz
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

<ahem>... ah, forget it. Smile

I'll just say that I had a nice match and chat vs. you Desultory and I didn't feel that your mouse was anywhere near the timeout button. However, I don't get your forum posts-it seems you are unnecessarily complicating the whole situation.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:

I don't know. No one seems to see this side of the story. Those who leave the game a lot for a smoke or whatever will always be biassed towards people not clicking the button. those that don't (me) may tend the other way.

We see it, we laugh at it because it is small and petty.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Theres the Golden rule and then there is the Silver Rule - treat people the way they want to be treated if the way you want to be treated satisfies only yourself.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
It seems generally implied that one shouldn't click the timeout button in nearly all situations.
Nonsense. Click it for some situations but not others. It's not about being nice, it's about sportsmanship. Your opponent's kid/phone/door isn't part of the game, and your opponent shouldn't be penalized for RL intervention, provided he communicates with you about it ("brb" or "sec" or whatever). Fouling, OTOH, exists entirely within the context of the game.

If your opponent does this over and over feel free to complain to them about it. It won't make you any friends, but yeah, they kinda have an obligation to play when they're not likely to be distracted and drag games out longer than 90 minutes.

And at your ad hominem, I play fast and don't smoke.

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like the word Timeout on Fumbbl. Basically a Time Out in sports is a Time Break, which is more like a brb. Can we get a bit more PC and call it a Clock out?

Jeffro
Desultory

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

It's funny that this other recent thread is relevent; https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=28375

From what I can gauge; experienced coach writes "brb" on his 7th turn in a lost game, vs a new opponent Smile
got to give him the benefit of the doubt right.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
It's funny that this other recent thread is relevent; https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=28375

From what I can gauge; experienced coach writes "brb" on his 7th turn in a lost game, vs a new opponent Smile

It is not relevant. Please, put down the shovel, take off your hat and step away from the canoe.

Use the timeout button against people who are being stinking slow after you warn them. That's what it's for. Do not use it on some poor Joe who has to change a diaper or take a phone call from their boss. If you cannot tell the difference then do not use it!

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:
after you warn them.

So it became finally etiquette after quite a few coaches used the button without warning?
thoralf

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
It's funny that this other recent thread is relevent [...]

"Funny" refers to an emotion. Emotions are subjective. They don't belong to this thread.

This other thread is even more relevent.

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:

If he is 'right back' within 4-5 mins, then what's the big deal? So you had to wait an extra 5 mins to get your win - hardly seems like a big cost to you, if your opponent really did have a RL issue.

If he leaves and doesn't come back, you follow the disconnect procedure and they'll probably end up getting disciplined.

Seems pretty simple to me, no need to time out.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Seventyone

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2016 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

What is the link between a timeout and a foul Desultory? As far as I can see one is perfectly within the rules and one is not. Both could be viewed as dick moves but that is the only connection.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

OP is asking an existential question: Why be moral, if it is to my detriment?

Sartre would have said that seeking the moral code of Fumbbl so that it can be adhered to is inauthentic and would be acting in bad faith. Better to establish one's own moral code and live by it, for better or worse.

Personally I think subjective morality is bunk, but I doubt this is the place for such arguments.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux wrote:

What I dont understand is that if people are asking questions, why not jsut write a few words, and there it is.. the new shining rule.
its not that hard, its easy to write you all do it every day.

I suspect it is because to cover every possibility you'd need to write thousands of words. Even then you'd likely still some obscure situation or be deluged with hypotheticals.

It also would allow people to break the spirit of the rules whilst still staying within them. We all know some coaches want to know how much of a jerk they can get away with being. That gets round the "nothing in the rules says I can't do that" excuse.

Jump to: